Can Do Books is the home of fine leisure books and sewing patterns. We offer the best range in Australia, at great prices, especially for crafters, artists, gardeners and woodworkers. Subscribe to receive the latest updates on new titles.
Our July catalogues are now online.
Folk Art Fusion explores the colourful combination of art styles present in modern folk art paintings.
Learn how traditional folk art continues to influence today's painters, and discover how to create contemporary folk-art paintings with approachable, step-by-step projects featuring traditional subjects painted with creative techniques and popular style, including flowers, animals, architecture, sugar skulls, portraits and more.
Colourful, contemporary and inspirational, this book enables artists of all skill levels to discover the joy of creating modern, globally-inspired art in this time-treasured genre.$27.99
While there are many approaches to painting abstract art, Jodi Ohl's philosophy is to simply start. In this book, the successful, self-taught artist helps you "dive in with an open mind and fearless heart." Everything inside is geared toward kick-starting your creativity:
- An exciting series of 22 fun-to-follow, step-by-step projects
- A tantalizing variety of approaches and inspirations for applying and manipulating paint, crayons, pencils, ink, paper, photos and more
- Quick and loose exercises for building a library of ideas, colour palettes, patterns and designs to use in future paintings
- Loads of practical advice, including how to stock your studio without going broke, the five must-haves mediums and how to finish and protect your artwork
For beginners eager to get to the "good stuff" and for artists looking to expand their repertoire, it just doesn't get any better.$42.99$39.99
Small in size, but big in design and holiday fun, each of these portable projects can be created in no more than a few hours.
Perfect for the beginner and advanced crafter alike, these 31 cheerful projects are designed to make it easy to crochet one or two for hanging on your tree or bestowing to the loved ones on your holiday list.
Megan Kreiner offers tips and ideas for clever custom details so you can give your ornaments a personal touch and a prized addition to any Christmas tree.$32.99
Make this shirt/jacket in something soft such cotton, rayon, jersey or silk. Raw ruffle edges, bound neckline and waist tie. Features optional button closure. Also included in the pattern is a slightly fitted crop pant.
Multi-sized XS – 2XL$29.00
Built around the concepts of play and practice, Jo Toye embraces experimentation and innovation. Focusing on technique, line and "working small," she shares a host of unusual techniques and works with unusual materials.
- Emphasis on line and the use of line to build an under structure for design and composition
- Interesting mixed media techniques for use in creating in acrylic – stencilling, sponging, masking, rolling paint and working with gesso
- Use of the small format painting and the emphasis on making "practice samples" that can be referenced at a later time for inspiration and direction in larger paintings
These simple tools and concepts result in line work that is distinctive.$42.99$39.99
Learn how to construct these cheerful little fabric shapes using the full-size templates provided, and then use them to create unique patchwork projects.
Step-by-step colour photographs illustrate various techniques, including English paper piecing, hand-pieced inset seams and special hexagon-specific quilting methods. Once these have been mastered, readers can try their hand at the collection of 12 adorable patchwork projects, including a floral-inspired mini quilt, retro tea cosy and zippered pencil case.
These hexie-based paper piecing projects work up quickly and easily, making them ideal hand-sewing projects for weekend crafting and quilting on the go.$28.99