Can Do Books is the home of fine leisure books and sewing patterns. We offer the best range in Australia, at great prices, especially for crafters, artists, gardeners and woodworkers. Subscribe to receive the latest updates on new titles.
Our November Catalogues are now online and paper copies are in the mail!
Is your dog happy? How do you know? Studies have shown that many dog owners incorrectly interpret their dog's behaviour and emotions. Making Dogs Happy will ensure you're being a good human to your furry companion.
Learn what motivates your particular dog and you can train your dog accordingly, making your dog as happy as they make you. Written by world-leading experts in dog behaviour, Making Dogs Happy introduces the idea of dogmanship – the ability to interact with and train dogs.
Fully photographed, demonstrating key behaviours of dozens of furry charmers, it's the one handbook no dog lover can go past.$24.99
Have a ball blending cottons with rich wools, lustrous silks and textural home decor fabrics for quilts that beg to be touched. Mix unconventional textiles together like a pro with the best advice for cutting, sewing and pressing fabrics with texture and sheen. Dimensional and exciting, mixed-fabric quilts are ripe for using up scraps and expanding your horizons!
- Mix eclectic fabric types – cottons, wools, silks and home decor – for quilts that wow
- Discover how to best cut, press and piece any fabric, regardless of fibre content
- Quilt 14 pieced and appliquéd pillows, quilts and small projects with adventurous fabric pairings
Australian textile artist Meredith Woolnough creates replicas of nature using a delicate system of tiny stitches. Her artwork is breathtaking, and now for the first time Woolnough offers crafters and fibre artists a lesson in how to use the “organic embroidery” technique.
Look behind the scenes of her art process, from the initial fieldwork sketching and research that inspires her designs, to the production of her ethereal embroidered sculptures. She guides you through 12 creativity-prompting activities to help you begin your own mastery of this method.
As you learn to find your desired shape or pattern in nature, from sources like leaves, shells or coral, you will then use your sewing machine to turn it into openwork art. Her instructions offer simple but highly versatile techniques, and allow you space for your own creative approach. The book includes dozens of inspirational photos of Woolnough’s own art pieces.$42.99
Here a cat there a cat, everywhere a crafted cat! Cats to decorate your home, to wear or to give to someone you love. The Cat Lover's Craft Book is dedicated to those who craft and those who are in love with all things cat-related! Whether you like to embroider, crochet, sew, knit or felt, there's a project inside this charming book you'll want to try your hand at, including:
- Turn your umbrella handle into a furry cat's tail
- Sew and embroider a personalized cat book cover
- Make a lovely hand embroidered brooch or earrings
- Make a cute cat door stop using a bottle and fabric
- Make cuddly cat pouches, purses and bags
- Knit, crochet or sew a charming cat-shaped pillow
- Sew a chic cat badge or button cover using cross-stitched fabric
- Sew an adorable cat doll and dress her up
- And so much more!
Super simple, step-by-step instructions, diagrams and templates make these adorable cat crafts accessible to knitting, felting and embroidery beginners.$19.99
Choose from over 500 crazy-quilt seam treatments, each with a detailed photo and guide for the basic stitches included. Learn 61 basic embroidery stitches, including silk ribbon and beaded stitches, through step-by-step photos, plus get crazy-quilt block piecing instructions and helpful information on tools and supplies. Then put it all together in a gorgeous, intricate sampler.
- This book will inspire you to stitch daily
- Create a beautiful sampler, with a different treatment for each individual seam
- Intricate and creative embroidery, silk ribbon and beaded stitches
Tia slip is one for all seasons and perfect for layering. Shown with Vrille Pant. Includes Shirt overlay pattern.
Make this slip in linen gauze, linen, silk organza, chiffon, rayon or even a knit.
Sizes: XS to 2X.$35.00