Needle & Craft Sale
From being spray-painted onto walls and trains, to enjoying acclaim in galleries and museums, the graffiti movement has changed. Far from being viewed as mindless vandalism, graffiti, or urban street art, has become prized as a highly valued and socially relevant art form.
The book presents 38 of the most influential and pioneering urban artists from around the world who have driven this transformation, exploring their mediums, methods and backgrounds, and why they've chosen to challenge classical ideas of art to convey messages about urban culture. From well-known names such as Banksy, Shepard Fairey and Blek le Rat to superstars of the underground movement, these are artists who have moved far away from the cliched lettering and tags to develop individual styles that reflect and critique modern life.
Urban Art Legends is the perfect companion for anyone wanting to learn more about this vibrant, exciting and constantly evolving art form.$34.99$14.99
The craft of decorative knotting is making a huge comeback with several accomplished artists taking the craft to exciting new levels of creativity. Hot Knots explores a variety of macrame techniques – from historical, centuries-old designs, to modern fusion knots – and guides readers through 18 cool and contemporary projects for jewellery, housewares, accessories and more.
Inside you'll find:
- Clearly illustrated, step-by-step tutorials demonstrating a variety of knotting techniques
- More than 200 stunning, full-colour images that instruct and inspire crafters of all levels
- Added suggestions for each project that encourage crafters to take their skills further
Modern Mark Making will spark the interest of the calligraphy novice by introducing a new approach to lettering, one that combines a lively combination of traditional lettering styles, fun and scripty modern styles, and artsy street-style lettering, along with project ideas that incorporate creative lettering.
The book demonstrates the uses of traditional and cutting edge lettering tools, from classic calligraphy pens to bling-producing metallic foils and glue pens. It introduces a wide array of lettering styles with complete alphabets sample artworks that show an application.
Fully stepped-out illustrations breakdown each letterform, taking the reader through each stroke. A large collection of gallery images that provide further inspiration for how to use creative lettering in artwork.$34.99$14.99
In How to Make Jewelry Charms from Polymer Clay, Jessica Sharpe offers the essentials for creating clay charms with:
- Step-by-step instruction for 50 beautiful projects, from simple beads to intricate sculpting
- Basic tools, materials and techniques for getting started
- Ideas for using charms on zippers, handbags, mobile phones and other unique places
- Tips for designing and creating signature pieces
- More than 400 full-colour images provide instruction and inspiration
Sweet Paper Crafts offers 25 unique DIY paper accents that make any home or celebration a little brighter. Make tiny star garlands to string over the mantel, delicate flower wreaths for the front door, cheerful package toppers and much more!
Mollie Greene's distinctive layered style incorporates collage techniques and use of found scraps, book pages, magazines and old record jackets. With helpful templates, step-by-step photographs, beautiful shots of each whimsical piece and plentiful ideas for one-of-a-kind creations, this book will motivate even novice crafters to start snipping their very own paper finery.$37.99$17.99
With crochet patterns that are as adorable as they are practical, you can provide fashion for wee ones while keeping tiny toes warm. Felted for shape and sturdiness – with leather soles for durability – these are finished shoes.
- Select from seven patterns, each in five sizes, embellished with appealing motifs
- Easy-to-make foam inserts ensure the perfect shoe shape and size during felting
- Use readily available materials; you can even use suede elbow patches for soles
Taxidermy is back in fashion again. It seems that almost every bar, restaurant or new boutique you walk into these days sports the mounted head of some animal or other gazing down from on high. For those of us who are reluctant to decorate our walls with the heads of decapitated mammals, a happy alternative has finally presented itself.
Now, using sewing, crochet, knitting and papier-mache – and, in some cases, just cutting and pasting – the spirit of taxidermy can be summoned with none of the morbid overtones. Combining the twin pleasures of craft and taxidermy, Craftydermy presents the reader with a cabinet of curiosities to amuse, delight and inspire.
Projects include a knitted fur stole, papier-mache antlers, a crocheted moose head and a felt tiger rug.$24.99$12.99
Join Lesley Riley and a cadre of talented designers, including several frequent contributors to Cloth Paper Scissors magazine, to explore exciting new ideas to create with Transfer Artist Paper . With a sheet of TAP and a hot iron, you can transfer a permanent image onto almost any solid surface. And that’s where the fun starts!
This project-packed book is full of inspiration.
- Try your hand at 16 fun projects, ranging from jewellery to home accessories, mixed-media art and quilts
- Use with encaustic; transfer images onto faux bone; and as before, transfer to fabric, paper, wood, metal and even glass
- Use all your favourite tools and techniques: paints, pencils, stamps, inkjet printing, chalk pastels, spray inks and more
Creative Miniature Quilts contains 10 quilts in varying sizes. Ways to achieve perfect sashing strips, narrow borders and neat bindings for miniatures are shown, making the art of miniature quilt making no longer frightening but fun.
- Fabulous original designs to inspire
- Foolproof technique to achieve miniature quilts
- Designs for the beginner and the more advanced quilter
- A system that ensures accuracy throughout the whole construction process, from the cutting stage through to sewing on the final binding strip
These handy cards feature a great choice of 50 crochet block designs that are the perfect size to carry with you and can be laid side by side so you can see how they look when choosing to mix-and-match designs.
Choose from lacy designs, motifs, medallions and rosettes, bobbles and ripples – all with clear photographs, complete pattern instructions and information on yarn needed. Icons indicate skill level, direction of work and pest applications.
The accompanying book explains basic crochet techniques and provides a complete visual index of the blocks with 10 failsafe recipes putting them together to create the perfect afghan, blanket or crib cover.$19.99$7.99
The very talented Tammy Hildebrand has given crocheters both a good foundation of 6 techniques as well as wearable and versatile wraps. There's something for everybody here!
- Techniques: traditional crochet, motif crochet, Tunisian crochet, broomstick lace, hairpin lace and double-ended crochet
- Includes one easy, one intermediate and one advanced project for each technique
- Accessories for every occasion: delicate shawlettes, comfy ponchos, intricate lace shawls and vibrant, modern wraps
Each of the 20 circular designs in this book is accompanied by a full-colour and symbol chart for 14-count Aida or 28-count evenweave linen. Each design measures approximately 203 x 203 mm and all can be displayed in a simple embroidery hoop.
The designs include creatures from around the world: a cute kitten, the majestic tiger and an adorable Koala. Birds have not been forgotten, and include a magnificent peacock or the colourful hummingbird. All are set amongst delightful floral scenes that depict seasons of the year and will surely delight stitchers and animal and bird lovers alike.$21.99$19.99Use plastic, bamboo or wooden handles to make this simple little swing bag. It's a perfect canvas for your own individual embellishments, and it can also have an external pocket.
You will learn professional techniques to create a crisp curved line and make the lining sit flat inside the top of the bag. You'll also learn how to make internal compartment pockets, and how to attach handles and magnetic clips.
If you're interested in learning ways to incorporate digital elements and style into your work, Cutting-Edge Fashion Illustration will explain the essential techniques and skills you need.
Each chapter covers a range of themes, from the fundamentals of Photoshop, to combining colour, texture and mixed media with your fashion illustrations. Within each chapter is a series of techniques, each of these demonstrated by a step-by-step tutorial followed by a gallery of inspirational images using that technique.
The main focus is on how to play with compositions and add elements like inks and watercolours, how to use digital brushes and incorporate scanned texture, photos and hand-drawn patterns into your fashion illustrations. Suitable for beginners and intermediate level illustrators or designers and also a great resource for art students.$44.99$17.99
Focusing on all the skills necessary for embroidery, this guide helps artists create more than 100 pansies and heartsease flowers.
Matching the colours of nature with the palette of cotton, silk and woollen threads, the projects produce flowers that are true to nature in both form and colour. The required stitches are kept to a minimum, so even inexperienced crafters are able to reproduce pansies for brooches, cushions, carpets and pictures.
The guide also features detailed material and technique sections, an extensive thread conversion chart and an illustrated stitch gallery.$39.99$11.99
The clothing patterns in this book are designed to go together quickly and easily (most can be completed in less than two hours!) with professional-looking, runway-worthy results. Templates allow you to start creating and outfitting simply fabulous fashionistas immediately, while learning techniques you can use to create your own original designs.
- Learn a paint-by-numbers method for making beautiful, one-of-a-kind faces
- Create any ethnicity with skin dying techniques
- Add even more dimension and personality to faces and bodies with needle-sculpting
- Follow step-by-step instructions for making 15 different outfits featuring gorgeous fabrics, cool closures and fun trims – from sundresses and recycled denim skirts, to embellished, pre-made sweaters
- Includes easy-to-use templates for the dolls and their outfits
Domino knitting is a very fascinating technique:
- It is quite simple
- Normally you only have to work with a few stitches at a time
- It enables you to work with special graphical expressions
- And the result is attractive and exciting!
The 16 shawl designs range from easy to quite complex.$52.99$14.99
Give a child hours of imaginative colouring fun and share your love of quilting with these artistic designs by top quilt artist. Get inspired with 18 different designs you can colour or draw or paint all day. Add your own flair with pens, pencils, crayons, markers or paint. Learn how colours go together and try out a new colour theory today.
Teaches children: the colour wheel, design practices / quilting patterns, creative play
Designs by Bethany Peese, Cheryl Malkowski and Angela Walters.$14.99$12.00
Transform your living space into a relaxing retreat when you stitch up soft, simple and naturally beautiful quilts. Lydia Loretta Nelson’s soothing, handmade touches lend a touch of warmth to every room in your home – including all the spaces where memories are made.
- 14 easy patchwork and appliqué projects include quilts, pillows and a pet bed
- Low volume quilts lend a lovely, welcoming feel to any home decor
- Create timeless decor to personalize your living space – dream houses and temporary digs alike
Step up your piecing with a small-scale version of the cherished Dresden Plate. Fall in love with the classic quilt block all over again as you learn the secret to impeccable mini Dresdens in two sizes – 4½" and 9" finished.
Polish your piecing, pressing and appliqué with proven techniques and apply those skills to 13 projects from bed-size beauties to wallhangings and table toppers. A mix of easy and intermediate quilts includes a quilt-as-you-go project, tranquil yet engaging colour palettes and not-quite-traditional layouts with their own unique flair.
- Stitch tiny Dresden Plates with perfect points and petals
- Sew 13 unique quilt projects ranging from a table runner to a bed quilt
- Learn precision piecing and pressing tips anyone can use, plus blind-hem appliqué and practical quilt-as-you-go
Lynn Koolish teaches you printing on fabric and you'll learn to use photos and other images to create artistic and unusual printed effects on you textiles.
Her Quick-Start-Guide will get you printing right away. Because the lessons are on a DVD you can choose when, how much, and where you want to learn . . . if you don't understand something the DVD will repeat it as you need it.
Duration of DVD: 60 minutes$34.99$11.99
Crochet is fun, fast and therapeutic.
After illustrated step-by-step instruction in the basic techniques you’ll be completing bags, wraps, cushions, scarves, throws, a cape, a shrug, a poncho, hats, mittens, belts, corsages, bracelets and necklaces. The 30+ projects let you to practise your basic skills and build upon them.$19.99$11.99
The Franciscan missions along the El Camino Real (King's Highway) in California have endured over the centuries, lending their architectural aesthetic to a California style that is eclectic and unique.
This mixture of Old World and New World, of Spanish/Mexican and Native American culture was the inspiration for the fabric and quilts in Nancy and Oliver Rink's exciting book.$29.99$14.99
Covering everything from smocking and stumpwork to beading and blackwork, Embroidery explores an extensive variety of handwork techniques.
- A contemporary reappraisal that brings this traditional skill bang up-to-date, it is ideal for beginners
- Packed with specially commissioned illustrations to accompany detailed step-by-step tutorials
- Profiles of contemporary practitioners give an insight into their working methods
- Covers a wide range of techniques for both hand and machine embroidery, including digital machine embroidery
Embroidery from the Heart is a stunning collection of pieces from some of Australia's best-known embroiderers, all created around the theme of the heart.
The tragic and untimely death of a young woman from heart disease inspired this touching memorial to her life, a creative exploration of the importance of the heart in all our lives. Embroidery from the Heart is a tribute in embroidery – to one heart from many.$14.99$4.99