Sales & Specials
From being spray-painted onto walls and trains, to enjoying acclaim in galleries and museums, the graffiti movement has changed. Far from being viewed as mindless vandalism, graffiti, or urban street art, has become prized as a highly valued and socially relevant art form.
The book presents 38 of the most influential and pioneering urban artists from around the world who have driven this transformation, exploring their mediums, methods and backgrounds, and why they've chosen to challenge classical ideas of art to convey messages about urban culture. From well-known names such as Banksy, Shepard Fairey and Blek le Rat to superstars of the underground movement, these are artists who have moved far away from the cliched lettering and tags to develop individual styles that reflect and critique modern life.
Urban Art Legends is the perfect companion for anyone wanting to learn more about this vibrant, exciting and constantly evolving art form.$34.99$19.99
Both students and professional artists will value this idea-filled book for its innovative ways to produce canvases of unusual luminosity and dramatic contrasts. The author offers advice on:
- Choosing a balanced palette of exceptional colour to suit the artist's personal working style
- Using organic and inorganic pigments, semi-transparent and opaque paint colours, and the new iridescent, interference and duochrome acrylics
- Applying gels, mediums and other products for modifying and enhancing colour
- Creating extraordinary colour effects in subjects including water scenes, flowers and foliage, animal scenes, portraits and much more
Sew a slice of life with 12 traditional quilts that prove to be more than just patterns but storytellers.
- Each quilt is inspired by life events that everyone can appreciate
- Bold blocks shimmer in their use of colour, value and repetition for handsome quilts with personality to boot
- Repeated blocks will stretch your skills beyond the basics, inviting you to perfect techniques such as strip piecing, half-square triangles, working with templates, paper piecing, machine appliqué and sewing set-in seams and curves in a way that's easy to understand
In The Big Book of the Human Figure, the challenges of the human structure are explored in four comprehensive sections covering:
- Basic anatomy and proportion, effects of light on the figure and the nude
- Understanding the dressed figure and creating atmosphere
- Interpreting the figure through variations of colour and style
- An approach to the portrait and elements of the face
Fully illustrated throughout and filled with clear, step-by-step instructions, notes on technique and more, this book is an excellent tool for helping artists of all levels master the graceful beauty of the human form.$39.99$14.99
It’s time for some hands-on surface design with your favourite surface – fabric!
- Learn 4 easy ways to copy images to fabric, then embellish with 6 surface design techniques – cut-out, embroidery, discharge, paint, appliqué and reverse appliqué
- Sew 16 modern projects for giving and living, with full-size motifs for DIY fabric printing
- Use the pattern pull-out to copy modern graphics in the perfect size for your project
- Mix it up for one-of-a-kind pieces – the inspirational project gallery shows you how
This book is loaded with original artwork and valuable insight from 64 artists, incredibly diverse in styles and subjects, each using acrylic in unique ways to create expressive and personal art. It features:
- 64 individual ideas, approaches and inspirations for working with acrylic paints
- 29 styles, ranging from photorealism to minimal colour field and everything in between, are explored through artist profiles, artwork and boundary-breaking "challenges" that provide dynamic starting points for your own art
- 29 step-by-step demonstrations illustrate acrylic-driven techniques you can take straight to your work, including collage and assemblage, reverse painting, printmaking, accidental stencilling, working with metallic mixtures and more