Sales & Specials
In The Big Book of the Human Figure, the challenges of the human structure are explored in four comprehensive sections covering:
- Basic anatomy and proportion, effects of light on the figure and the nude
- Understanding the dressed figure and creating atmosphere
- Interpreting the figure through variations of colour and style
- An approach to the portrait and elements of the face
Fully illustrated throughout and filled with clear, step-by-step instructions, notes on technique and more, this book is an excellent tool for helping artists of all levels master the graceful beauty of the human form.$39.99$14.99
This book is loaded with original artwork and valuable insight from 64 artists, incredibly diverse in styles and subjects, each using acrylic in unique ways to create expressive and personal art. It features:
- 64 individual ideas, approaches and inspirations for working with acrylic paints
- 29 styles, ranging from photorealism to minimal colour field and everything in between, are explored through artist profiles, artwork and boundary-breaking "challenges" that provide dynamic starting points for your own art
- 29 step-by-step demonstrations illustrate acrylic-driven techniques you can take straight to your work, including collage and assemblage, reverse painting, printmaking, accidental stencilling, working with metallic mixtures and more
Inspired by the sketch crawls that have been embraced by artists around the world, this book will breathe fresh air into your art life. Inside you'll find 20 slice-of-life workshops, presented by 12 accomplished artists. Each workshop is comprised of various challenges that ask you to slow down, look closer and explore the endless, often unexpected sketching opportunities in the world around you.
These prompts will take you from bustling bars and crowed beaches to workplaces and deserted stadiums. You'll draw candid figures in motion and posed portraits of intriguing personalities you meet along the way. You'll be challenged to convey the sensory experience of a meal, the fleeting view through your passenger window and a day in the life of a child. Your subjects will range from popular landmarks and performing musicians to fire hydrants, shoes and sushi. You will never again be stuck for what to draw.
The pages are richly illustrated with the contributing artists' sketches, showing how they interpreted the exercises. The experience is exalting, and the payoff is profound, including a greater sense of observation, more expressive mark-making and deeper connections with your subjects.$29.99$12.99
Both students and professional artists will value this idea-filled book for its innovative ways to produce canvases of unusual luminosity and dramatic contrasts. The author offers advice on:
- Choosing a balanced palette of exceptional colour to suit the artist's personal working style
- Using organic and inorganic pigments, semi-transparent and opaque paint colours, and the new iridescent, interference and duochrome acrylics
- Applying gels, mediums and other products for modifying and enhancing colour
- Creating extraordinary colour effects in subjects including water scenes, flowers and foliage, animal scenes, portraits and much more
Tina Barrett shows you how to hand knit geometric patterns in a wide range of styles, from minimalist to ornate, and from classic to contemporary. Her clear yet comprehensive instruction includes:
- Patterns for 750 different geometric patterns, including plaid, Greek key and more
- 10 step-by-step projects suitable for knitters of all skill levels
- Instructions for a range of knitting techniques, including intarsia, Fair Isle, beading and more
Each pattern is individually charted on knitter's graph paper – so the finished shape is accurately shown – and selected patterns are illustrated with a knitted swatch. Approximately 1000 colour photos, illustrations and diagrams throughout provide inspiration and instruction.$34.99$14.99
From being spray-painted onto walls and trains, to enjoying acclaim in galleries and museums, the graffiti movement has changed. Far from being viewed as mindless vandalism, graffiti, or urban street art, has become prized as a highly valued and socially relevant art form.
The book presents 38 of the most influential and pioneering urban artists from around the world who have driven this transformation, exploring their mediums, methods and backgrounds, and why they've chosen to challenge classical ideas of art to convey messages about urban culture. From well-known names such as Banksy, Shepard Fairey and Blek le Rat to superstars of the underground movement, these are artists who have moved far away from the cliched lettering and tags to develop individual styles that reflect and critique modern life.
Urban Art Legends is the perfect companion for anyone wanting to learn more about this vibrant, exciting and constantly evolving art form.$34.99$19.99