Big Embroidery is all about stitching beautiful designs up fast using yarn instead of embroidery thread. Nancy Nicholson has created a collection of stunning designs based on traditional crewel work, and adapted them for a modern audience using everyday yarn.
Crewel embroidery is traditionally done using 2ply wool and stitched onto linen. Nancy shows how to get beautiful results using different types of yarn and fabric, including upholstery fabrics, woollens and tweeds to create a collection of stunning quick-to-stitch projects.
Choose from home decor items such as cushions, bags, wall hangings and table runners, as well as ideas for embellishing clothing. The book shows readers how to do all the key embroidery stitches with a stitch library featuring easy-to-follow diagrams of all the basic crewel embroidery stitches in detail.$35.99
This collection of mini accessories are not only sweet and off the wall, they're practical pieces that you can wear, and are perfect gifts! These embroideries are also small-scale canvasses for you to show off your stitching skills: no more than 10 stitches are used for the 20 projects throughout, and range from beginner to intermediate in skill.
Every project is explained with clear photography and easy-to-follow step-by-step instructions. Each one doesn't use much in the way of materials and there's no complicated finishing involved. These will be projects that you will finish!
There are also 50 motifs to choose from and play with, provided in a range of sizes and suitable for a variety of different projects, so you can make your own unique designs based on the author's edgy style. Templates come in different sizes, so you can select the one you want to suit your own requirements.$36.99$34.99
Learn how to create over 60 tiny masterpieces in a wide range of styles by original mini embroidery hoop creator Sonia Lyne. Using these little hoops as your canvas learn to stitch it all, from classic embroidered flowers and appliqué animals through to abstract stitch 'n' paint shapes and tasselled creatures.
Beginner embroiderers and experienced stitchers short on time will love the small size of these hoops, and almost all the designs can be made in a weekend. Throughout the book, the author gives you tips on colour and stitch variations, as well as alternative hoop shapes you could use from her mini hoop packs, inspiring you to make these little designs truly your own!
Whatever your style, there is a treasure trove of stunning designs and motifs to stitch and adapt, encouraging you to grow confident in building (and feeling proud of) your own artistic juices. So get ready to be motivated, excited and inspired to stitch up a sea of mini masterpieces.
Look inside the book.$26.99
Inspired by the magic of beads, buttons and charms, Christen Brown shares 8 stunning beadwork projects from brooches and bracelets to wallhangings. A handy visual guide to 125 bead embroidered and bead woven stitches categorizes each stitch by style, with a second alphabetical index to keep at your fingertips.
- Embellish 8 projects from bedazzled jewellery to wall art and a sewing caddy
- Search both the complete visual guide (with stitches organized by type) and the A–Z stitch index for easy reference
- A robust project gallery will inspire crafters of all skill levels, from embroiderers and sewists to crazy quilters, mixed media artists, and jewellery makers
The book has the pattern for Sue Spargo's Fresh Cut quilt featuring wool appliqué, layering and embroidery. The finished quilt size is 125 x 125 cm.
Includes the patterns for two bonus projects, the English Garden Needle Roll and the Fresh Cut Sewing Box!$47.99
Creative Stitching is based on the author’s experience teaching thousands of students in many diverse cultures. It is designed to help you learn quickly and easily so that you can apply these wonderful stitches to your current embellishment projects.
- Pick a stitch that creates the effect you want by choosing from the categories at the front of the book
- Learn each stich quickly from the clear illustrations
- Add to your understanding with the help of the concise, written instructions
The new edition features:
- Over 20 new stitches
- A new chapter on Stitch Variations
- New highly detailed illusteations & photographs
- An updated section on Needles & Threads
Hand-stitched Landscapes and Flowers is a beautiful exploration of the potential of embroidery in depicting the natural world.
Katrina Witten uses no more than six simple stitches for each embroidery, plus delicate embellishments and an array of techniques and fabrics to portray pastoral scenes of fields, flowers and creatures with eye-catching three-dimensional effects. There are ten detailed projects to try, depicting, among others, a hedgerow, a bluebell-emblazoned woodland, sunflowers, a poppy field and a summer scene of buddleia, butterflies and bees.
Look inside the book.$47.99
Hardanger embroidery is a Norwegian technique that uses simple stitches and pulled threads to create beautiful geometric designs. This book is a complete, easy-to-follow introduction to the craft.
- Step-by-step instructions for stitching 43 different embroidery building blocks, from basic squares to more intricate motifs
- Charts and instructions for 18 projects show just a few of the ways these building blocks can be put together to create beautiful designs for decorating pillows, bags, home décor and more
From tracing and transferring designs, to the needles required for stitching, to the threads that "draw" out your pattern, this richly illustrated guide contains hundreds of easy-to-follow hints and techniques.
Detailed drawings cover every stitch in the book – bullion, buttonhole, chain, whipped chain, colonial knot, lazy daisy, ladder, pistil, and coral, feather, and fly stitches. There's even an entire section on embroidering flowers: wool roses, camellias, lemon gum blossoms, lavender, buttonhole, and flannel flowers, buds, and leaves.
Try out your new skills on 13 wonderful wool projects, all elaborately explained and illustrated. A cozy, comfy baby's blanket shows Mrs. Mouse taking her little one out for a walk; daisies, forget-me-nots, and many other flowers bloom everywhere. Stitch bears onto coat hangers, and wildflowers onto a baby basket. A complete christening set is the ultimate heirloom: it includes an embroidered bow to go around a candle, towels, coat hanger and more!$14.99$7.99
Filled with lovely accessories and covered in an exquisite garden of stitches, this workbox is sure to become not just a treasured heirloom, but a valuable accompaniment to every stitching project.
Home Sweet Home features detailed instructions for the embroidery and construction for the workbox plus:
- Over 100 step-by-step photographs
- Instructions for the workbox plus nine accessories
- Pattern sheet included
This book contains a stunning collection of contemporary embroidery motifs with bold colour palettes for you to stitch away at for hours on end. The 50 motifs include abstract and geometric patterns, botanical motifs, hand-lettered designs and much more, and will inspire you to get stitching in fresh and imaginative ways.
Beginners will learn to master the 10 basic stitches and skills needed to create the motifs inside, all clearly explained in an attractive, approachable way; then, whether you're new to embroidery or the more experienced stitcher, your hand stitching skills can flourish by stitching the motifs onto 20 beautiful and practical projects inside, all featuring easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions, lovely photography and helpful templates.$32.99
How to Make 100 Bead Embroidery Motifs is a visual showcase of 100 different motifs, organized in sections by design category, including: floral/botanical, abstract, geometric and symbolic. Presented with easy-to-follow photography and stitch diagrams, this book will introduce new beaders to the world of bead embroidery, while also being a great reference for experts. Features include:
- An introductory section on materials and techniques
- Information about different stitches used in the motifs to secure beads to fabric
- Material lists provide the type, colour and number of beads needed for each project
- Step-by-step directions and diagrams
Whether you're new to beading or a beading expert, this book is packed with inspiration and technical instruction for every bead enthusiast.$34.99
This “dog fanciful” collection of stitch motifs celebrates all things canine. With this lovely embroidery guide, you can create all manner of pups, including:
- The sweet Labrador retriever, fluffy poodle, noble German shepherd and many others
- Dogs doing what they do best – classic poses, postures and tricks like 'roll over,' 'give me your paw' and the ever-popular 'rub my tummy'.
- Pooches disguised as people – the farmer, the artist, the businessman
- Mutts in different styles and shapes, including borders, frames and alphabets
- Guidance on how to customize a motif to fit your favourite Fido
- Plus a gallery of project ideas for showcasing your stitches
The inspiration for Sue Spargo's Imperial Blooms came from the Suzani textiles of central Asia that were traditionally worn by brides as part of their dowry. The quilt design features:
- General guidelines and materials list
- 9 blocks with detailed instructions, full-size templates and stitch guides
- Border and finishing instructions
The finished quilt measures 104 cm (41 inches) square.
About the Author Sue Spargo is a renowned folk quilt designer, noted for her colourful wool appliqué that is transformed by her rich and creative embellishment.$39.99
Enjoy a sense of being immersed in the joy that comes from a beautiful garden full of flowers and the movement and song of many birds in Sue Spargo's In Full Bloom. The quilt design features:
- General guidelines and materials list
- 11 blocks with detailed instructions, full-size templates and stitch guides
- Border and finishing instructions
The finished quilt measures 112 x 91 cm (44 x 36 inches).
About the Author Sue Spargo is a renowned folk quilt designer, noted for her colourful wool appliqué that is transformed by her rich and creative embellishment.$41.99
Inspirations magazine celebrates its 100th issue with fabulous new projects created by some of its readers’ all-time favourite designers, featuring some all-time favourite techniques. The feature projects include:
- Mistletoe Bell by Julie Kniedl – an elegant three-dimensional mistletoe decoration for Christmas
- Monet, Hugo et les Poissons d’Or by Jenny McWhinney- a new adventure for Monet Mouse in this charming stitched storybook
- Redouté's Tulips by Trish Burr – magnificent thread-painted tulips based on a botanical watercolour
- Life Cycle of the Swallowtail Butterfly by Jane Nicholas – a beautiful stumpwork study depicting the fascinating life cycle of a butterfly
- Blue Ribbon by Carolyn Pearce – a gorgeous blanket adorned with enchanting blossoms and an elegant bow
- Clive the Chameleon by Hazel Blomkamp – a fabulous chameleon with opulent beaded camouflage
- White Rose by Jenny Adin-Christie – an exquisite rose button brooch using timeless whitework techniques
- Pomegranate & Rose by Anna Scott – a superb silk and goldwork design of flowing stems laden with fruit and flowers
Inspired Bead Embroidery offers 15+ exciting new projects that combine the author's textured designs with eye-catching focal beads. The book explains the fundamentals and aesthetics behind her work, from stitches and materials to colour theory.
The textured, dimensional projects include earrings, cuffs, collars and two fashionable purses. The creations incorporate seed beads, cubes, triangles, drops, daggers, cabochons, leather, fibre and more. Each project includes concise instructions, well-chosen process shots and diagrams. A gallery provides even more inspiration for experienced beaders looking to take their work in new, more exploratory directions.$37.99
Embroidery on paper is a traditional and well-loved craft, here artfully translated into beautiful and understated Japanese designs.
Each project is accompanied by a full-size template and notes on how to embroider the design, and there are clear and detailed instructions on the materials and tools you require; the essential technique of embroidering on paper; and eleven basic embroidery stitches that can be used individually or in combination to create all of the exquisite designs in the book.
Choose from a range of ideas that includes drawing, writing and more creative projects, including paper clocks, notebooks, envelopes, decorations, book marks and cards for all occasions. Suitable for those new to paper embroidery as well as more experienced crafters, this book will excite and inspire anyone with a love of Japanese style and clean, simple design.
Look inside the book.$34.99
Choose from over 500 crazy-quilt seam treatments, each with a detailed photo and guide for the basic stitches included. Learn 61 basic embroidery stitches, including silk ribbon and beaded stitches, through step-by-step photos, plus get crazy-quilt block piecing instructions and helpful information on tools and supplies. Then put it all together in a gorgeous, intricate sampler.
- This book will inspire you to stitch daily
- Create a beautiful sampler, with a different treatment for each individual seam
- Intricate and creative embroidery, silk ribbon and beaded stitches
Dive into Laura’s delightful world of embroidery and learn how to create small, free-form embroidery pieces that are alive with colour and texture.
With instructions for 21 basic embroidery stitches and 6 projects, all in Laura’s signature colourful, whimsical style, you’ll transform a flat, plain surface into a joyful, design-packed art piece. Stitch on wool, felt or silk, and enjoy the simple pleasure of slow stitching.
- Begin with simple shapes and fill them with improvisational stitchery
- Change up the provided designs, swapping out colours and trying new stitch combinations, to create your own unique work
- Includes a gallery of display ideas, as well as additional ideas for using free-form stitching
Globally recognised needlework expert Judith Baker Montano shares 180 stitches and 70 combinations in this improved and updated second edition featuring the best from Elegant Stitches and Floral Stitches.
Featuring even more traditional embroidery stitches, silk ribbon stitches and crazy quilting combinations, this beautiful handbook has an updated section of free-form inspiration for improvisational work.
With full-colour illustrations and advice for lefties, this essential reference goes far beyond the basics!$49.99$39.99
Stitch 12 exquisite embroidery projects with original fauna and flora designs in a variety of threads and colours to create a 3D effect.
The book is filled with novel concepts in mixed-media embroidery and offers many interpretations and techniques, with striking examples of textured finishes. Lavishly illustrated with beautiful, commissioned photographs, it offers 12 colour themes to help embroiderers understand and play colour, along with inspiring projects to encourage them to produce their own creative work. Also included are an extensive stitch glossary and templates for the designs.
Previously published as Embroidered Flora & Fauna.$38.99
This book shows you how to do over 170 stitches comfortably and sensibly as a left-hander. With many helpful diagrams and photographs of carefully explained surface and counted thread stitches, this book will be your constant embroidery companion. There is no need to be frustrated as this stitch dictionary shows you the left way to do embroidery.
You will discover how easy it is to learn and master stitches when the instructions are written specifically for you. Also great for right handed embroidery teachers who will be able to see how left-handed students are stitching!$34.99
Choose from more than 100 original embroidery designs, hand-drawn with a modern take on retro style. Each pattern is printed on handy transfer paper-tear out the page, trim out the design, iron it down, and stitch away!
Learn 11 easy stitches plus techniques for adding texture, then embroider these charming images on keepsakes and gifts like a baby quilt, cushion covers, or cozies for jars and tissue boxes.
Visit Can Do Blog to look inside the book.$34.99
Trish has selected beautiful flowers and interpreted them in her unique style to present a stunning collection of embroideries. Meticulous in detail, these flowers are brought to life by the use of carefully selected threads and an intuitive use of simple stitches.
Clear, step-by-step directions, full-size templates, colour photos cover all there is to know about long and short stitch embroidery for all levels.$39.99
So small, so sweet, so simple to complete! About all that's needed is a needle, thread, wool and a little lunch-hour time to make 14 cute and creative projects.
Seasonal and everyday designs include framed art, a pincushion and fun pieces to stitch and attach to ordinary items to make them extraordinary. Even beginners can easily appliqué these charming decor pieces – and complete each in a few lunch hours or less!$34.99