Craig Nelson will teach you the tips and tricks you need to know to achieve powerful painting results in oil and acrylic. With ten step-by-step demonstrations, each step timed to the minute, you’ll discover how to focus your efforts on the essence of the subject, rather than getting stuck on the tiny details.
You will learn to:
- Overcome procrastination and explore new subjects
- Prioritize your painting efforts – see basic shapes first, then the fine details
- Render rough compositions before committing your idea to a larger canvas
- Explore composition, colour and light effects
- Draw mass and form, not just the lines that make up your subject
Over 80 step-by-step photographs take you through all the basics with helpful demonstrations which clearly illustrate how to paint skies, landscapes, flowers and animals. You will learn about the materials you need, how to start, using a limited palette, using photographs as inspiration, and creating perspective, tone, light and shade.
Whatever your skill level, you will be able to develop your own style with this invaluable, easy-to-follow guide.$12.99
This comprehensive book opens with a guide to essential information on tools and materials plus basic drawing and painting techniques and colour theory to create compelling compositions, achieve depth and render realistic textures.
Several talented and experienced artists guide readers through easy-to-follow lessons covering a variety of floral and plant life, including tulips, dahlias, hibiscus, roses, daisies, freesia, water lilies, bird of paradise and more.
With sections devoted to both mediums, readers will learn everything they need to know to create beautiful floral works of art in oil and acrylic. Along the way, aspiring artists will discover helpful tips and tricks for mixing vibrant colours, working from photographs, working outdoors and creating volume and dimension.$24.99
A clear, comprehensive guide to colour mixing for the artist using oil paints.
It begins with simple colour theory and a colour wheel, with a template provided so that readers can paint their own; a vital step towards understanding colour. There is vividly illustrated guidance on complementary, warm and cool colours, colour tone, using a limited palette, dull and bright colours and factoring in local colour. There follows an array of essential colour mixes using widely available Winsor & Newton colours.
A beautifully presented and practical guide to understanding and mixing colours.
Look inside the book.$19.99
Equally suitable for spontaneous work as well as for large ambitious studio paintings, oils are perhaps the most versatile of all paints. And yet for many painters, their use is shrouded in mystery, while others regard them as "difficult" medium.
This book, now back in print by popular demand, sets out to show that, with proper instruction, nothing could be further fom the truth. The key to mastery of the medium is a full understanding of the constituents of oil painting – binders, dilutents, varnishes, mediums, driers – and their properties, all of which are clearly explained and illustrated with over 200 colour images, backed up by comprehensive information on supports, equipment and techniques.
- Easy-to-follow illustrated step-by-step instructions to all the techniques of oil paint application
- Explanation of the use of colour and form in oil painting
- Everything you need to know about choosing tools and materials and making efficient use of a studio
- Advice on how to get the best results in still life, portraiture, abstract work and many other genres
- Beautiful reproductions of the work of professional oil painters illustrate the skills, techniques and themes discussed in the text
Inspired by the interplay of light & colour, a veteran oil painter shows how to create vibrant landscape paintings, full of atmosphere & interest. 3 stunning demos (23-37 steps):
- Spanish olive farm & house
- Woodland path with dappled light
- Snow-capped firs near stream reflecting the golden evening light
- Techniques simply explained
- Lots of tips & practical guidance
- Many of Crane's works
Learn to see, think and paint like an Impressionist master! Monet. Renoir. Van Gogh. Redfield. Garber. These beloved Impressionist masters continue to inspire with their rich and vivid artistry. Their styles and methods are alive and thriving today in the work of contemporary master George Gallo, who will lead you through all you need to know from start to finish to create Impressionist-inspired landscape paintings in oil.
- More than 50 powerful lessons, tips and secrets for composition, brushwork, value, lighting effects, colour and movement
- 80 stunning landscape paintings, including country roads, waterfalls, parks, woodlands, harbour scenes and more
- 7 step-by-step painting demonstrations that reinforce the importance of composition, movement, colour and light
Impressionist Painting for the Landscape will help artists of every skill level achieve more expressive and personally satisfying results. Dive in to discover classic oil painting traditions, new perspectives on the medium and fresh paintings to inspire you to new heights.$52.99
In this concise book, Hazel Soan explains everything you need to know about oils in an accessible way.
- Advice on the materials you need (keeping things to a minimum), how to mix colours, basic brush techniques and how to use a palette knife
- Subjects range from still life, flowers, animals, landscapes, figures and portraits
- Filled with easy-to-follow exercises and demonstrations
This is a practical and helpful guide to learning to paint in oils very quickly.$19.99
This book is designed for absolute beginners who want to try their hand at painting but don't quite know how to get started.
It presents carefully devised, step-by-step explanations of each detail to be accomplished on the painting-in-progress, making use of innovative book covers that can be set up to create a miniature easel. Each project appears as a series of two-page sections, with an illustrated explanation of how to proceed on each every-numbered page, and the painting-in-progress to be copied on the following odd-numbered page.
There are seven separate projects for students to complete. Subjects include still lifes, flowers and landscapes.$34.99$17.99
Roy Lang shows you how to capture the power, majesty and atmosphere of the sea in oils. Learn how the sea and sky interact in nature, and how to portray their many moods.
There is ample information on oil paints and on techniques such as tonal underpainting, as well as general painting advice on colour, tone and composition. Then there is specific information on sea painting, from aspects of beaches to painting rocks to swells, foam bursts, waves, spray, mass foam, linear form patterns, submerged detail and shorelines.
Roy explains how to paint cloudy, summer, stormy and evening and night skies, before examining light, reflections, mood and atmosphere. All this invaluable expertise is brought together in two highly accomplished sea and sky paintings, demonstrated step-by-step.
Look inside the book.$25.99