Craig Nelson will teach you the tips and tricks you need to know to achieve powerful painting results in oil and acrylic. With ten step-by-step demonstrations, each step timed to the minute, you’ll discover how to focus your efforts on the essence of the subject, rather than getting stuck on the tiny details.
You will learn to:
- Overcome procrastination and explore new subjects
- Prioritize your painting efforts – see basic shapes first, then the fine details
- Render rough compositions before committing your idea to a larger canvas
- Explore composition, colour and light effects
- Draw mass and form, not just the lines that make up your subject
Andrew Forkner's book provides you with all you need to paint a range of birds in acrylics; taking in birds of prey, songbirds and waterbirds from all over the world including Europe, the USA, Asia, the UK and Australia. It contains information on the materials and preparation you will need to capture the delicacy and majesty of the subjects.
- 26 striking and characterful bird species
- Clear and easy-to-follow step-by-step projects
- Includes guidance on composition, reference and important bird features
Look inside the book.$49.99
Built around the concepts of play and practice, Jo Toye embraces experimentation and innovation. Focusing on technique, line and "working small," she shares a host of unusual techniques and works with unusual materials.
- Emphasis on line and the use of line to build an under structure for design and composition
- Interesting mixed media techniques for use in creating in acrylic – stencilling, sponging, masking, rolling paint and working with gesso
- Use of the small format painting and the emphasis on making "practice samples" that can be referenced at a later time for inspiration and direction in larger paintings
These simple tools and concepts result in line work that is distinctive.$42.99$39.99
While there are many approaches to painting abstract art, Jodi Ohl's philosophy is to simply start. In this book, the successful, self-taught artist helps you "dive in with an open mind and fearless heart." Everything inside is geared toward kick-starting your creativity:
- An exciting series of 22 fun-to-follow, step-by-step projects
- A tantalizing variety of approaches and inspirations for applying and manipulating paint, crayons, pencils, ink, paper, photos and more
- Quick and loose exercises for building a library of ideas, colour palettes, patterns and designs to use in future paintings
- Loads of practical advice, including how to stock your studio without going broke, the five must-haves mediums and how to finish and protect your artwork
For beginners eager to get to the "good stuff" and for artists looking to expand their repertoire, it just doesn't get any better.$42.99$34.99
Discover the language of colour and how you can use it in your paintings to create work that tells a story with whispers or shouts. You'll become fearless about colour as author Chris Cozen shares her colour-mixing recipes, lessons, and experiences. Find inspiration from the work of both established and emerging artists to try different techniques, colour combinations, styles of painting, and more!
Inside Acrylic Color Explorations, you will:
- Learn 33 techniques for incorporating and developing colour in your paintings
- Explore colour basics with exercises that will help you determine your colour "voice"
- Discover secrets to mastering any creative colour situation with 9 contributing artists
This book blazes new creative territory with techniques that harness the artistic power of light. Ranging from subtle glazing on metal leaf, to pearly sheens, to boldly colored optical effects and glossy surfboard finishes, these approaches represent the most requested aspects of Nancy Reyner's popular workshops.
- 50 eye-catching techniques feature metal leaf, reflective paints, pouring, fluorescent and phosphorescent paints, refractive layering and optical colour effects
- Possibilities are vividly illustrated with diverse work from 44 artists
- A "Crash Course on Acrylic" chapter offers an overview of how to use these versatile paints and products to their fullest potential
This hands-on guide provides clear step-by-step directions to successfully execute these new and exciting techniques. Explore matte skin construction, sheen shifting, embedding objects, patinas and polished stone effects. Use these approaches for organic, abstract or realistic styles...as backgrounds, top layers or accents layered in between...combine, experiment and let your paintings shine.$49.99
Discover how to achieve an encaustic effect without the use of wax or heat. Use layers of matte and gloss to create the perfect sheen and luminosity that mimic encaustic and learn about spreadable mediums and pourable formulas that look like wax after completion. You will explore creating crackles, carving with stencils, adding image transfers, and much more with these 45 acrylic techniques for creating faux encaustic.
In Acrylic Painting for Encaustic Effects, you will find:
- 45 techniques for making art that looks like encaustic painting – but isn't!
- Tips on how to achieve the dreamy, layered look of wax without the extra tools, time and space required of encaustic
- Step-by-step instructions on how to make wax-like elements, incorporate collage, add alcohol inks, play with resin and more
- 85+ imaginative tips for taking your art to the next level
This is a practical and inspiring guide for all acrylics enthusiasts, from the beginner to the experienced artist. There is helpful general advice on which materials to choose, and then three high profile artists share their expertise, tips and techniques.
- Wendy Jelbert explains the basics of painting with acrylics and gives advice on useful techniques and the effects they can create and then explores further creative techniques for painting with acrylics and shows how these can be applied in paintings
- David Hyde writes on painting landscapes with acrylics, from composing landscapes and choosing colours to creating depth and painting different seasons
- Carole Massey shares her flower painting expertise with advice on flower colours, drawing flowers, composing flower paintings and using tone
There are 10 easy to follow step-by-step demonstrations with clear photographs and helpful instructions, and many inspirational paintings for readers to admire.
Acrylic Painting with Passion easily answers the question: What should I paint now? Tesia Blackburn comes to the rescue by introducing exercises and techniques that make the painting process fun and every bit as cherished as the finished works of art.
Finding time to create art can be a challenge, and Tesia helps with this, too, by suggesting ways to help you find manageable chunks of time to feed your painting passion.$39.99
Acrylic Solutions illustrates a wealth of layering methods and techniques. Mix and match to achieve countless variations, building layer upon layer to create unique and wonderfully complex abstract art.
- Learn more than 30 step-by-step techniques for developing texture and visual interest, including collage, monoprinting, carving, colour blocking, paint skins, raised stencils, glazing and so much more
- Chapters explore the phases of a multi-layered painting, from surface preparation through adding structure, developing complexity and adding finishing touches
- Follow the development of two paintings as each layer adds to the finished result, with tons of additional artwork throughout
- Gain insight on how to make paints, mediums and grounds work for you
Embracing a spirit of freedom and spontaneity, Acrylic Solutions is a stimulating guide for contemporary artists of any skill level. Beginners will learn how to make visually compelling paintings from start to finish, while more experienced artists will find the tools and inspiration to take their work to the next level.$52.99$49.99
Glyn Macey's irrepressible energy and imagination shows through in every part of his work; and in this book he shares his painting techniques and methods with you.
Learn to use your acrylic paints in unusual, creative and surprising ways to create open, inviting landscapes, breathtaking seascapes and urban scenes packed with life.
- Nine atmospheric step-by-step projects
- Dynamic, imaginative techniques
- Learn composition, colour mixing and how to find inspiration
Watch an extract from Glyn Macey's online painting workshops.$39.99
AcrylicWorks 2 showcases radical breakthroughs. Whether it’s a unique use of colour, a different approach or style and unusual subject matter, the method of painting, composition, or creative brushstrokes, each painting has its own acrylic breakthrough featured in this book.
Discover insight from each artist on their work and learn something new, delight your eyes, and inspire you to create your own radical breakthroughs.
- Artwork from 116 acrylic artists
- 126 works paired with fresh from the studio insight from the artists themselves
- A variety of subject matter including landscapes, people, still life, animals and abstract art
This stunning collection of 126 contemporary masterpieces covers a wide range of styles and subjects from intimate portraits and ultra-realistic wildlife paintings to sweeping landscapes and bold abstracts. Captions reveal the unique creative story behind each piece and offer tips and techniques from top acrylic artists.
Combined with coloured pencil, oil, collage, gels, pastes and a wealth of other complementary mediums, the opportunities for texture and experimentation are endless. The results are diverse, original and unabashedly acrylic.$59.99
Renowned artist, David Hyde, provides a clear and practical guide to using acrylics to create beautiful landscape paintings. Using over 70 step-by-step photographs and many inspirational pictures, he shows how to develop all the skills you need to become an accomplished landscape artist.
The book includes information on composition, mixing greens, creating depth and techniques such as scumbling, dry brushing, misting and glazing.$12.99
Acrylics are versatile and can be used in many different ways; they also have unique qualities and can be painted on to canvas, paper, wood or board.
Using a sequence of inspirational pictures and specially commissioned step-by-step photographs, Wendy Jelbert shows how to use this medium to create pure acrylic, scumbling and impasto effects, blended washes, glazes of colour and more. She takes you through all the stages of creating a painting, from the basic brushwork to final details, illustrating how to capture light and shade, tone and form.
Whatever your skill level, you will be able to develop your own style and techniques with this invaluable guide.$12.99
This comprehensive book opens with a guide to essential information on tools and materials plus basic drawing and painting techniques and colour theory to create compelling compositions, achieve depth and render realistic textures.
Several talented and experienced artists guide readers through easy-to-follow lessons covering a variety of floral and plant life, including tulips, dahlias, hibiscus, roses, daisies, freesia, water lilies, bird of paradise and more.
With sections devoted to both mediums, readers will learn everything they need to know to create beautiful floral works of art in oil and acrylic. Along the way, aspiring artists will discover helpful tips and tricks for mixing vibrant colours, working from photographs, working outdoors and creating volume and dimension.$24.99
With a fresh, modern spin on this majestic subject, The Art of Painting Still Life in Acrylic is a comprehensive resource, packed with beautiful illustrations and expert instruction, for beginners and intermediate artists.
- Information on the necessary tools and materials for both sketching and painting, including pencils, paints and brushes, palettes, supports and mediums
- Basic drawing and painting techniques and colour theory
- How to create compelling compositions, achieve depth and render realistic textures
This pocket-sized, practical guide has everything the acrylic artist needs to know about colour mixing, from colour theory to complementary, warm and cool colours, colour tone, using a limited palette, dull and bright colours and local colour. There follows an array of essential colour mixes using widely available Winsor & Newton colours, easily substituted by other ranges . Clear, practical and beautifully presented advice.
- Achievable colour results with quick and easy tips
- Pocket-sized and practical for the artist
- Colour wheel and template provided so readers can paint their own
Look inside the book.$18.99
Wendy Jelbert shares her expertise in working with acrylics and in creating beautiful, convincing landscapes.
There is information on what materials to buy, how to use sketches and photographs, how to look at landscape shapes and how to use tone and composition to good effect. Wendy demonstrates a variety of acrylic techniques and explains elements of the landscape such as foregrounds, distances and skies.
There are six beautiful step-by-step demonstrations with clear photographs and instructions for readers to follow.$25.99
Folk Art Fusion explores the colourful combination of art styles present in modern folk art paintings.
Learn how traditional folk art continues to influence today's painters, and discover how to create contemporary folk-art paintings with approachable, step-by-step projects featuring traditional subjects painted with creative techniques and popular style, including flowers, animals, architecture, sugar skulls, portraits and more. Colourful, contemporary and inspirational, this book enables artists of all skill levels to discover the joy of creating modern, globally-inspired art in this time-treasured genre.$27.99