Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
After her first book, Bonnie’s Garden, Bonnie Sullivan is back with 17 charming projects inspired by nature and the comfort of home. The folk-art style of her creations is delightfully expressed through the materials that she uses to bring warmth to your surroundings!
From Quiltmania with text in English and French and includes 2 pattern inserts.$64.99
Explore new options in improvisational piecing and empower your creativity! Cut and combine solid-colour fabrics to create your own "prints" – stripes, polka dots, chevrons, plaids and more.
Forget the rules (and even your ruler) as you piece colourful solids into compelling quilt designs. Use colour, pattern and repetition to develop your personal design aesthetic as you stitch freely to create unique quilts that pack a punch!
- Piece new prints and patterns out of solid fabrics and use them to create original, dynamic quilt designs
- Empower your creativity – work freely without preconceived ideas
- Join author Maria Shell in a step-by-step journey of artistic discovery with this fascinating visual guide
Di Ford is back and this time around, she is here to tell you the story of fabrics! Learn how Di chooses and uses fabrics in order to embellish her quilts. Enhance the character and grandeur of your quilts with the help of Di’s 14 new and magnificent quilts!
Fussy cutting, appliqué, English paper piecing and broderie perse (Persian embroidery), all of Di’s favourite techniques, are also explained in a handy technical chapter.
From Quiltmania, with text in both English and French.$69.99
Continue the lovely promenade begun in the garden with 16 Dutch quilts old and new compiled for us by An Moonen and Petra Prins, this time in the beautiful Middachten Castle. The projects are reproductions of vintage quilts and are all explained and photographed in an exceptional setting!
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$64.99
West Ireland, with its streets of colourful painted houses and ancient stone walls, provides the perfect inspiration for the richly varied quilt designs in Kaffe Fassett's Quilts in Ireland.
Renowned for his use of colour, Kaffe creates colour palettes of brilliant hot pinks and reds; deep blues, purples, and greens; and soft blues and whites from his journey to Ireland, showcased in striking quilt designs that are as unpredictable as the landscape of Ireland.
With contributions from designers Liza Prior-Lucy and Philip Jacobs, this book will inspire quilters of all skill levels. Each quilt pattern includes complete instructions, with colour diagrams, plus a section on patchwork and quilting basics.$54.99$49.99
Rooted in the Victorian era, crazy quilting has a powerful allure for today's quilters, who use it to let loose and tell a unique story with fabric. Embrace crazy quilting with 35 must-know stitches and endless variations, shown in clear, step-by-step photographs for both right- and left-handed stitchers.
Fine artist Sharon Boggon reveals design fundamentals to guide you in your process, so you can sew thoughtful, visually appealing blocks. Learn the theory and process behind this fascinating art – how to choose fabrics, piece stitch-and-flip blocks, and embellish seams with embroidery, beads, buttons and charms.
- Learn crazy-quilting techniques with colourful photos that show every detail
- Combine fabric, embellishments, and 35 stitches, plus endless variations, into stunning crazy quilts as unique as you
- Unpack savvy design principals to make order of the chaos and guide the viewer's eye around the block
After the international success of her first book, Brigitte Giblin offers us this second volume in which her quilts, inspired by past beauties, are revisited with a colour palette that is as fresh and vibrant as a bouquet of flowers.
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French and the book offers 12 patterns with detailed instructions.$64.99
Finders Keepers Quilts is based on a collection of quilts found in an abandoned farmhouse.
- Original quilts, discovered and photographed in century-old Iowa farmhouse
- Includes 3 versions of each quilt – historical, reproduction and modern
- Clear, concise instructions for making the projects
With a refreshingly new approach to free-motion stitching, First Steps to Free-Motion Quilting encourages you to make something beautiful while improving your free-motion quilting skills.
You'll find projects and quilts that are light on assembly so you can spend most of your time stitching. A handy troubleshooting guide ensures success every step of the way.
- Practice free-motion quilting with 24 easy-to-achieve projects
- Make simple quilts, embellish kitchen towels and clothes, personalize a messenger bag and so much more
- All projects are freehand and require no marking
Get the basics of Tangle drawing and learn how this artform can be used to create this popular art on fabric.
The basics of tangle drawing are taught step-by-step, followed by several tangle designs. Instructions are given for transferring designs to fabric and stitching them either by machine or by hand.
Four small-scale projects, including a uniquely shaped pin cushion, hand-stitched journal cover and mini quilts, give you an opportunity to try out tangle stitching, making useful items for yourself or to give as gifts.$21.99
The flying geese quilt block is a traditional favourite and now with Suzanne McNeill's clever technique, quilters can make each square in only five minutes.
Suzanne will show you how to create quilt blocks with only one seam and how to piece the blocks together to make 12 great projects. From table runners to wall hangings to traditional quilts and more – even beginners will find projects that can be made with ease.
Each project is shown in fabulous four-color photography and includes detailed step-by-step instructions. Basic quilting instructions are also included for beginners and those new to sewing.$24.99
Say goodbye to tedious hand stitching and scruffy raw-edge appliqué with the incredible Flip & Fuse method! Sew 12 complex-looking quilts with precision, sharp lines and easy curves. You’ll appreciate these bold, geometric designs as a sophisticated alternative to old-school silhouettes.
Even if you’ve been unsuccessful with other appliqué methods, you’ll love how easy it is to Flip & Fuse!
- Transform the way you appliqué with the revolutionary Flip & Fuse method
- A simple and accurate method with easy-to-use patterns designed for speed and economy
- Foolproof way to make complex-looking quilts with patterns in multiple sizes
Quilt historian Barbara Brackman chose carefully from the Spencer Museum's exquisite quilt collection to assemble the quilts for this exhibit, Flora Botanica. The exhibit examined sources and symbolism in floral pattern from various perspectives. The selected quilts ranged in age from the late-18th century to the recent past.
This 96 page catalog includes photos of all the quilts included in the exhibit. Also included are five new quilt projects drawn from the old patterns, plus an introduction by Barbara about how many of these quilts found their way into the Spencer collection.$34.99$17.99
From begonias to lilies, tulips and marigolds, readers will discover how easy it is create colourful, dimensional flowers using machine quilting, patchwork and appliqué.
Detailed step-by-step artworks and gorgeous photography beautifully illustrate Pauline's innovative techniques, which are accompanied by full-size templates for 21 gorgeous 3D flowers.
Variations for each flower show how you can adapt the colours and designs to create your own unique versions. Includes examples of stunning quilt blocks incorporating the flower designs.$44.99$39.99
When the Apollo astronauts went to the moon, the whole world watched. When the Fly Me to the Moon art quilt challenge went out, it went global.
This book showcases the curated results of that call for entries: 179 art quilts by over 130 artists from 8 countries, expressing their interpretation of the space program and all things lunar. Walk down memory lane or discover the story of the missions for the first, but most importantly, enjoy a trip to the moon and beyond without the time and rigors of space training. As you travel into space, meet the astronauts, hum the tunes, and listen to the artists tell you about their pieces.
Find endless inspiration and discover what the moon is really made of: cotton, thread, crystals, paint, ink, tulle and crocheted lace.$59.99
Australian author Irene Blanck is absolutely passionate about appliqué.
Whether it be reinterpretations of vintage motifs, entirely reimagined by means of a fresh fabric palette, or classic creations, this book contains 16 appliqué marvels at once elegant and radiant – Mosaics, Blooming Springtime, Tribute to Lucy Kemper, Eva Grace, Spring Promise, Floral Hopscotch, Tulipa, Confetti, Chocolate Mint Sunday, Miz Kelly just to name some of them. Plus there are full pullout patterns with instructions, tips and tricks.
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$64.99
Nothing shows off beautiful stitching and embellishments like the blank canvas of a crazy quilt. Jenny Clouston's gorgeously illustrated primer shows you how to make your own heirloom crazy quilts.
The book covers which fabrics, threads and needles to use; how to piece crazy quilt blocks; how to embroider with thread, ribbons, beads and other embellishments; how to assemble your blocks into a finished quilt; and more. Features include:
- Complete instructions for over 100 embroidery, beading and embellishment stitches
- Full-size patterns for 9 hexagonal crazy quilt blocks
- 25 stitch keys showing proper stitch placement and thread and needle selection for 25 different blocks
In a follow-up to best-selling Foolproof Crazy Quilting, Jennifer Clouston shares 10 small, useful items from a tablet purse and summer slippers to a tea cosy, each with full-size patterns. Expertly mix cotton, wool, linen and silk for eclectic fabric pairings that complement each project.
Beginning and experienced crazy quilters will love the dictionary of 60 embroidery and beading stitches, foundation piecing primer, plus stitch maps for all seam treatments and embellishments.$39.99
Mary Mashuta teaches you how to quilt attractive lines, curves and geometric shapes with a walking foot.
This visual guide provides an inspirational gallery of 30 finished quilts and is enhanced by detailed photos of successfully quilted blocks, centre panels, sashing, borders and corners.
- Includes clock icons for each design to indicate the skill level and time required to accomplish
- Custom designs to fit every block, border and corner – with no marking and no maths
- Ideas for using commercial quilting templates, paper cuttings and traditional sashiko-style designs
- Decorative stitches, hand quilting and embellishments are used to enhance piecing
Discover some of Quiltmaker magazine's most creative foundation-pieced projects, from an impressive list of designers including Irene Berry, Theresa Eisinger and Joyce Robinson.
With 14 quilts ranging from whimsical to pictorial, geometric to floral, this value-packed collection has something for everyone.
- Clear, step-by-step directions and full-sized patterns; many projects include alternate-colorway illustrations as well
- Most designs provide an original Quiltmaker quilting suggestion for easy finishing
- Projects range from easy to challenging and include bed quilts, wall hangings, kids' quilts, a table runner and a tree skirt
This landmark book, drawn from the world-renowned collection of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, highlights the splendour and craft of quilts with more than 300 superb colour images and details. Fascinating essays by two noted scholars trace the evolution of quilting styles and trends as they relate to the social, political, and economic issues of their time.
The collection includes quilts made by diverse religious and cultural groups over 400 years and across continents, from the Mediterranean, England, France, America and Polynesia. The earliest quilts were made in India and the Mediterranean for export to the west and date to the late 16th century. Examples from 18th- to 20th-century America, many made by Amish and African-American quilters, reflect the multicultural nature of American society and include boldly colored and patterned worsteds and brilliant pieced and appliquéd works of art.
Grand in scope and handsomely produced, Four Centuries of Quilts is sure to be one of the most useful and beloved references on quilts and quilting for years to come.$110.00
Want inspiration for your free-motion quilting? Now you have the perfect tool! This spiral-bound book is full of designs – JUST designs – and will lay flat on your work surface to keep your hands on the quilt and that needle moving!
This visual guide is filled with over 75 diverse block designs from your favourite designers to get you stitching.
- Perfect for domestic and longarm machines
- Full-page spreads with innovative block designs
- Lays flat for easy reference while quilting
Turn the corner to free-motion success with a meandering makeover! Best-selling author Angela Walters shows you that free-motion quilting doesn't have to be scary – with a couple designs in your pocket, you can finish almost any quilt on your home machine and enjoy the process.
Practice 8 meandering stitches for beginners, plus creative variations on each, with step-by-step visuals and quilted samples. Start your free-motion journey on the right foot with proven techniques to help you disguise mistakes and transition between designs with ease.
- Thrive at free-motion quilting with popular teacher and best-selling author Angela Walters
- Just starting out? Angela includes the basics of quilting and supplies
- Troubleshoot mistakes, master the meander and practice fluid movement between quilt stitches
Discover how to machine quilt creative designs the easy way. More than 60 striking quilting motifs are at your fingertips in this comprehensive visual guide to free-motion machine quilting. Lori Kennedy takes you through each step of the process with easy-to-understand instructions and a multitude of clear, close-up photos so you won't miss a stitch.
- Learn to quilt dozens of unique and clever motifs, including flowers, animals, zigzags, swirls and twirls, and much more
- Give your next project that irresistible pop of texture you've been looking for – many of these designs aren't found in other quilting books
- Convenient lay-flat spiral binding makes the instructions easy to follow while you quilt
You can do it! Learn to free-motion quilt on a home sewing machine. Encouraging you step-by-step along the way, Molly Hanson teaches how to quilt like a pro.
- Master the fundamentals of free-motion quilting on manageable fat-quarter-sized fabric pieces – and turn the pieces into projects
- Try 10 different quilting designs, including stippling variations, pebbles, square meander and swirls
- Confidently quilt 15 practical projects, such as a tote bag, weekender bag and laptop sleeve
Take the guesswork out of free-motion quilting with fresh ideas, each handpicked for a specific space on a quilt. Amanda Murphy pairs unique free-motion designs with 30 well-loved quilt blocks, such as the Sawtooth Star and Drunkard’s Path. Pick and choose elements from each chapter (borders, sashing, motifs and more) for an artful finish!
- 155 quilting patterns to complement specific areas on your quilt
- Free-motion pairings for 30 traditional quilt blocks, plus borders, sashing, freestanding motifs and allover designs
- Expert advice on domestic and longarm quilting