Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
Di Ford is back and this time around, she is here to tell you the story of fabrics! Learn how Di chooses and uses fabrics in order to embellish her quilts. Enhance the character and grandeur of your quilts with the help of Di’s 14 new and magnificent quilts!
Fussy cutting, appliqué, English paper piecing and broderie perse (Persian embroidery), all of Di’s favourite techniques, are also explained in a handy technical chapter.
From Quiltmania, with text in both English and French.$69.99
Turn the corner to free-motion success with a meandering makeover! Best-selling author Angela Walters shows you that free-motion quilting doesn't have to be scary – with a couple designs in your pocket, you can finish almost any quilt on your home machine and enjoy the process.
Practice 8 meandering stitches for beginners, plus creative variations on each, with step-by-step visuals and quilted samples. Start your free-motion journey on the right foot with proven techniques to help you disguise mistakes and transition between designs with ease.
- Thrive at free-motion quilting with popular teacher and best-selling author Angela Walters
- Just starting out? Angela includes the basics of quilting and supplies
- Troubleshoot mistakes, master the meander and practice fluid movement between quilt stitches
Get comfortable with basic piecing and machine quilting – one block at a time!
Jera Brandvig is back, this time with a romantic take on her quilt-as-you-go designs. Try your hand at 9 projects, including an elegant sampler with 51 mix-and-match blocks. For quilt as-you-go enthusiasts, Jera shares 3 optional joining methods, including her new technique that makes your quilt reversible! No matter how busy your schedule, you can set attainable goals and practice quilting patchwork blocks in small, manageable pieces.
- Timeless, classic quilts for busy folks – easily finish quilts on your home machine with quilt-as-you-go
- Learn a new way to quilt-as-you-go that decorates the back of your quilt in pretty patchwork squares
- Mix and match 51 blocks to assemble a one-of-a-kind quilt
Discover 26 Dresden Plate designs that shine with intricate style.
You can sew each stunning Dresden on a sewing machine or by hand using English paper piecing – Katja Marek shows you how, every step of the way. Plus, Katja's done all the math work for you. Just trace, cut and stitch for piecing that's a perfect fit!
Show off all your colourful Dresdens in six inspiring projects: a table runner, Christmas tree skirt, lap quilt, wall quilt, pillows and place mats.$39.99
Solids: they're versatile, they're affordable, and they've got the starring role in 13 vibrant quilts by top designers!
This collection of bright and simple-to-stitch designs with subtle modern style shines in colourful Kona Cottons. Re-creating each quilt is a snap, thanks to comprehensive colour keys and colour names included with each pattern.$32.99
Popular quilt artist Erica Kaprow presents her whimsical designs in brilliant jewel colours that pop dramatically on a rich black background, with added embroidery embellishment using simple stitches. Plus, wool appliqué is easy to do and incredibly portable, perfect for on-the-go projects.
Includes a 12-page instruction booklet and full-size patterns for 30 blocks and borders, printed on individual sheets.
- Beautiful, simple to construct, and spectacular-looking quilt inspired by abundant flower gardens
- For wool lovers, colour lovers and all flower lovers!
- Perfect for a block-of-the-month club, wool appliqué class or a personal challenge
You can do it! Learn to free-motion quilt on a home sewing machine. Encouraging you step-by-step along the way, Molly Hanson teaches how to quilt like a pro.
- Master the fundamentals of free-motion quilting on manageable fat-quarter-sized fabric pieces – and turn the pieces into projects
- Try 10 different quilting designs, including stippling variations, pebbles, square meander and swirls
- Confidently quilt 15 practical projects, such as a tote bag, weekender bag and laptop sleeve
Take the guesswork out of free-motion quilting with fresh ideas, each handpicked for a specific space on a quilt. Amanda Murphy pairs unique free-motion designs with 30 well-loved quilt blocks, such as the Sawtooth Star and Drunkard’s Path. Pick and choose elements from each chapter (borders, sashing, motifs and more) for an artful finish!
- 155 quilting patterns to complement specific areas on your quilt
- Free-motion pairings for 30 traditional quilt blocks, plus borders, sashing, freestanding motifs and allover designs
- Expert advice on domestic and longarm quilting
Popular machine quilter Angela Walters will motivate and inspire you to try something new!
Learn how to stitch her fresh continuous-line designs on your longarm or domestic machine. Using basic free-motion skills you already have, discover how to approach quilting a modern quilt by working with bold fabrics and negative space, uniting a variety of shapes and blending designs.
- Step-by-step instructions for continuous-line swirls, circles, squares, vines, arcs and points
- Draw inspiration from striking pictures of 20 modern quilts showing Angela's designs
- Practical advice for choosing the perfect pattern to give your modern quilt maximum impact
14 quick quilts with dramatic results! From a House Sampler to glowing Stained Glass, construct a diverse collection of spectacular quilts using the simple French Braid piecing technique.
You get excellent advice on fabric, colour and value because these quilts rely on your ability to choose a range of graduated fabrics for the effect. Make it yours with pretty borders, separator bands and other creative variations.$34.99
Jane Hardy Miller delivers a collection of eight vivid new quilts that give some bold and surprising twists – you'll want to try them all.
If you've never made a French Braid quilt before, you'll be surprised how easy it is to sew these dramatic designs.
- 8 quilt projects offer the new styles quilters have been asking for
- Easy strip piecing and clear instructions guarantee success for quilters of all levels
Blend the beauty of antique quilts with the simplicity of primitive stitchery and what do you get? The French-farmhouse look! Designer Marie-Claude Picon from the south of France shares how you can combine prints, colours and textures to capture an old-fashioned, comfy quality in your quilts, too.
Ten projects range from classic Nine Patch and medallion designs to quilts featuring tiny houses and stunning stars. As you sew along, you'll learn how to get that perfectly aged feel with simple patchwork, fusible appliqué with cotton and wool and easy embroidery. Gorgeous display ideas will inspire you to add a little French flair to your home.$39.99
The authorsl pored through the museum's collection to find just the right quilts to inspire their latest project designs. Each of their adaptations uniquely mirrors the essential qualities of each quilt.
Fall in love all over again with our rich quilt heritage by making these projects, plus learn how to approach designing an artistic spin on one of your own antique treasures.
- Creative new adaptations of a diverse selection of antique quilts that range from simply functional to delightfully pictorial
- Projects show off a remarkable array of styles, settings and colourways
- Use a variety of techniques, such as needle-turned appliqué and improvisational piecing, with traditional blocks
Dawn Heese offers a soothing return to the past through 17 charming folk art-style quilts and small projects. A gentle and warm ambiance and easy appliqué; one imagines oneself in a country home, a bunch of wildflowers on the table and a welcoming chair where it’s good to settle in and quilt.
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$67.99
If you are like authors Nichole and Elisabeth, your favourite part of quilting is fussy cutting – and it usually involves figuring out how to enhance an interesting quilt block by framing a favourite element in your most-loved fabric!
Let fussy cutting become more than just showing a single design. By following along with how to create drastically different samplers from each of their 48 unique patchwork blocks, see how those same 9 inch blocks can easily be adapted to your own personal taste.
- Compare their blocks (and their samplers!) side by side and get inspired to use the fabrics you love to create your own sampler blocks
- Learn how to navigate those pesky stripes, how to work with either a limited palette or an eclectic scrappy one, and how to incorporate improvisational piecing to fussy cut even the smallest parts of your favourite designs
- Plenty of clear illustrations and how-to photographs, along with several examples of different types of fabrics, will guide you through each of the lessons
Suddenly, you'll see the endless possibilities in your fabric stash and won't be able to resist creating a fussy-cut sampler all your own.$44.99
Cut up your favourite fabrics with intention! Lifelong fussy cutter Angie Wilson teaches you how to look at your fabric stash with new eyes and piece the best bits together, like a colourful collage of your favourite things.
Try your hand at 14 totally fun, unique projects for both beginners and seasoned quilters. Use templates and illustrated tutorials to zero in on motifs and create secondary patterns from your fabrics, while you fussy cut for colour as well as design. Frame your motif, cut your fabric, and love the results!
- Cut fabrics thoughtfully to inject humor, boldness and style into your quilts
- Use fussy cutting as a foundation for 14 projects, from improv piecing to English paper piecing
- Uncover your stash's hidden treasures as you choose motifs and cut them with your own templates
Best-selling author Angela Walters and her daughter, Cloe, join forces to teach preteens and teens the basics of quiltmaking.
The dynamic mother–daughter duo guides kids step-by-step through making their very first quilt. Readers will tackle 14 projects to keep or give as gifts, including stylish bedroom decor, such as pillow covers, rugs and T-shirt quilts.
Angela’s eye for design and her approachable teaching style is the perfect complement to Cloe’s kid-approved fabric choices and projects. With skill-builders and plenty of how-to photos, kids can finally bring their imaginative creations to life!
- 14 modern skill-building projects, such as pot holders, place mats, a quilted water bottle holder and a lot of quilts
- The basics of patchwork and appliqué, gathering supplies, rotary cutting (both left- and right-handed) and more
- How-to photos and page references make it easy to find help
This book is the result of extensive field work and in-depth research conducted in Maharashtra, India. It is the first attempt to research the humble godhari, made by the rural women of this area. The book takes us on a wonderful journey through the region giving an insight into the art of godhari making, which has been passed down from one generation of women to the next.
The images highlight the way that everyday clothes, like saris, have been recycled. Maharashtra's women evidently have an inherent skill in making godharis, which they have never exploited for commercial use.
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$85.00
Bénédicte Maurin presents her creations, inspired by the famous English novelist Jane Austen who was so good at portraying the condition of women in England in the late 18th – early 19th century. Dolls, accessories and quilts are just part of the whole story.
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French and full-size templates and patterns.$59.99
Sewing with luxurious felted wool, discover the secrets to dimensional appliqué that will add depth and drama to your home decor.
Take your embroidery skills to the next level with 8 colourful projects including penny rugs, pincushions and pillows. Easy-to-learn techniques such as thread-matching, needle-slanting and fabric-layering will help you achieve clean and sharp lines every time!
This clear, visual guide includes full-size patterns with placement and embroidery guides.$39.99
The book contains 72 pages of beautiful projects using floral and lacy Mola motifs, all clearly illustrated with beautiful photography and with step by step diagrams (such that it is not at all difficult to follow even if you don't have French).
This title is in French only from Quiltmania, translated from the original Japanese.$49.99
Hazel Blomkamp combines a range of patchwork techniques including embroidery, beadwork, lace making and tatting to create inspiring, hand-stitched designs.
There are five projects to make exploring and combining your needlework skills. Everything has been created with fabric, a needle, threads, ribbons and beads. In some cases, even the ‘patches’ have been created with embroidery techniques.
Be inspired to explore and combine your skills in new and exciting ways.
Look inside the book.$39.99
Learn how to construct these cheerful little fabric shapes using the full-size templates provided, and then use them to create unique patchwork projects.
Step-by-step colour photographs illustrate various techniques, including English paper piecing, hand-pieced inset seams and special hexagon-specific quilting methods. Once these have been mastered, readers can try their hand at the collection of 12 adorable patchwork projects, including a floral-inspired mini quilt, retro tea cosy and zippered pencil case.
These hexie-based paper piecing projects work up quickly and easily, making them ideal hand-sewing projects for weekend crafting and quilting on the go.$28.99
Quilter's looking for fun, fresh, "aahhh-inspiring" projects of keepsake quality will love the quirky, whimsical style in Happy Quilts.
Each quilt is a combination of piecing and appliqué with directions suited to beginners or intermediate quilters. As shown, the designs are all eye-catching and bright, but readers can choose their own colour scheme from soft pastels to even graphic combinations of reds, whites, greys and blacks.
Quilters will enjoy the satisfaction of creating something totally unique. And lovable softies from the quilt designs can be made from matching fabrics so that they look as if they've jumped out of the quilts themselves.$42.99$39.99
With 80 original continuous-line designs for hand or machine quilting, featuring brand new quilting patterns, as well as some variations on old favourites.
- Spend less time starting, stopping and securing stitches
- Visual design index makes it easy to find the best patterns for your quilt
- Includes tips on machine quilting, marking, and background stitching
Each pattern includes a photo, a line drawing to trace and a directional diagram to show you how to stitch from sophisticated motifs to sweet animal faces. Smoothly stitch your design from start to finish in one continuous line.$39.99
Deirdre Bond-Abel's first book gives prominence to:
- Wool appliqués in gleaming colours matched to pieced blocks in highly original creations
- Motifs from the past, in a new style and in a palette of magnificent colours and materials
- 17 quilt projects, wall hangings and accessories fully explained
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$64.99