Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
Jean Wells gives you the assignment of your life: put away your ruler and use your inner vision to design and piece spectacular, free-form quilts you'd never have guessed you could create.
In this updated edition, Jean's workshop assignments get your juices flowing, giving you challenges to expand your quilting horizons. Start by learning to see line and colour; study the nuts and bolts of design; develop your colour work and composition; and when you get stuck, there's expert advice on problem solving. You'll never see quiltmaking in the same way again.
- Creative exercises take your use of colour, line, design and piecing in dramatic new directions
- Use photographs and journals to find inspiration and develop your ideas with Jean’s updated, expert guidance
- Learn innovative finishing techniques to show your quilts at their best
- Classroom-proven techniques make the adventure easy for any quilter
Wake up each morning to a bright new hexagon! Discover the possibilities of English paper piecing as you create dynamic shapes and unique designs year after year with this perpetual calendar.
- Choose from 365 vibrant 6-inch hexagon blocks, plus an extra block for leap year
- Each hexagon includes a block photo, a placement diagram for each assembly and full-sized templates
- Sturdy spiral binding will keep each easy-to-turn page of the calendar intact for years of enjoyment
Continue the lovely promenade begun in the garden with 16 Dutch quilts old and new compiled for us by An Moonen and Petra Prins, this time in the beautiful Middachten Castle. The projects are reproductions of vintage quilts and are all explained and photographed in an exceptional setting!
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$64.99
It's hard to imagine authors Kim Diehl and Jo Morton could get any better – until they joined forces to share their signature looks.
- Enjoy stitching this creative blend of 14 spectacular quilts, all created from classic blocks
- Discover fun ways to exchange blocks with friends or make a scrappy mix yourself
- Enjoy a wide variety of small- to medium-sized quilts, ranging from a table topper to wall hangings and lap quilts
- Ideal for quilters who love scrappy patchwork style and classic appliqué
Give stashed fabrics new life with quilt patterns to make the most of your precut collection! The authors show you the basics of how to quilt from your stash, with a special focus on colour, print and scale.
The vibrant and versatile quilt patterns are tailored to precut fabric strips, squares and fat quarters. Learn how to add additional yardage, mix and match different fabric lines and design a stunning quilt from fabric you already have on hand.
- 13 fresh patterns to use your stash of precut squares, strips and fat quarters
- Alternate colourways and precut choices, such as using 3 fat quarters, 11 precut strips or 42 charm squares
- Tips for resizing quilts with multiple borders or border blocks
Rooted in the Victorian era, crazy quilting has a powerful allure for today's quilters, who use it to let loose and tell a unique story with fabric. Embrace crazy quilting with 35 must-know stitches and endless variations, shown in clear, step-by-step photographs for both right- and left-handed stitchers.
Fine artist Sharon Boggon reveals design fundamentals to guide you in your process, so you can sew thoughtful, visually appealing blocks. Learn the theory and process behind this fascinating art – how to choose fabrics, piece stitch-and-flip blocks, and embellish seams with embroidery, beads, buttons and charms.
- Learn crazy-quilting techniques with colourful photos that show every detail
- Combine fabric, embellishments, and 35 stitches, plus endless variations, into stunning crazy quilts as unique as you
- Unpack savvy design principals to make order of the chaos and guide the viewer's eye around the block
Create a quilted tapestry of sumptuous flowers!. Deborah Kemball teaches you to appliqué 40 realistic flowers and 17 sophisticated projects like pillows, table runners, wallhangings and bed quilts.
Hand stitch motifs from Deborah’s award-winning Euphoria quilt, or mix and match flowers to create your own gorgeously detailed masterpiece. With clear instructions and helpful photos, this collection includes full-size patterns you can download and print, plus a handy pullout with two full-size patterns and others that are ready to enlarge on a photocopier.$39.99
Make the most of your stash with these 12 striking quilt designs!
Lynn Harris demonstrates numerous ways to maximize how you use fabric in quilts, including string-pieced blocks, mini-star blocks, appliqué, sawtooth borders and more. Traditional designs are refreshed by giving them a scrappy look while other quilts offer minimalist charm when small scraps are used on broad backgrounds. The quilt gallery, as well as the projects themselves, will inspire you to design in ways you never imagined.$42.99$39.99
Exploring Dimensional Quilt Art takes quilters above and beyond the surface with innovative techniques for raising surfaces and creating three-dimensional fabric structures. Discover how to incorporate these expressive effects into your quilting, from the simplest textured quilt to elaborate twisted and embellished structures, including vessels and hanging installations.
Popular quilt artist June Barnes explores various folding, gathering, pleating, stuffing, padding, shrinking and layering techniques. You'll also achieve intriguing depths to your quilts when you learn how to manipulate the surface of the quilted plane by constructing objects through various means.
Visit Can Do Blog to see inside the book.$39.99$19.99
Discover how to change the look of a quilt – dramatically – with a change of fabrics. Expert teacher and designer Deanne Moore presents achievable, versatile designs for all skill levels. Let these quilt patterns open the door to exciting possibilities!
- Select from 14 graphic designs that can be transformed from modern to traditional, and vice versa, by varying the selection of fabrics
- See each project photographed in two diverse fabric styles
- Use the colouring diagrams to create your own colourway for each pattern
Paula Nadelstern shows you how to design simple but stunning quilts with the help of vivacious fabric prints.
- Discover your fabric’s hidden potential and sew complex-looking quilts that are easy to piece
- Understand symmetry in fabrics and fool the eye with daring design strategies
- Fussy cut prints to perfection with self-drafted templates and camouflage seams for luminous effects
Your childhood home, an old family caravan, the incredible skyscraper in your city – these are all wonderful subjects that deserve to be re-created in fabric.
Gloria Loughman teaches you to capture your favourite place in fusible appliqué. Her simple technique is easy to master, yet yields stunning results. Draw from one of three included projects, your own photo or memory and downloadable bonus patterns to assemble your own scenes that are captivating, vivid and full of character.
- Tell the story of a favourite place – Gloria shows you how to create buildings, boats, cars, doorways and more
- Quilters of all levels will love the comprehensive attention to fabric, colour and elements of design
- Practice a unique construction method for graphic quilts that resemble woodblock prints
A colourful collection of 14 'fat-quarter-friendly' bags and accessories – two for every day of the week. Each daily duo uses a different quick and simple patchwork or appliqué method.
Step-by-step directions ensure that the bags are as fun to make as to use.
With bags, purses and pockets to suit every style and occasion, Susan's new collection of practical designs will inspire quilters of all abilities.$34.99
Piece beautiful blocks from your scrap bag or uniformly plan your approach from fabric yardage – with line drawings of each quilt to colour in, the choice is yours!
Start with 8 quilt patterns, each shown in 2 distinct looks, plus get easy sewing and pressing tips to remake quilts in your favourite fabrics. Piece complicated-looking designs, learn special binding techniques and uncover new ways to freshen up and use your fabric collection. Even beginning quilters will be able to jump right in and sew their own colourful stash quilts.
- Make 8 quilt projects in scrap or yardage variations, for 2 wildly different looks
- Reimagine your stash, whether it’s made up of consistent colorways or a wild rainbow of scraps
- Learn easy piecing methods and quilting tips for stunning, complex designs
Kim Gaddy follows her popular Story Time quilt book with Farm-Fresh Quilts, telling a story in fabric about her family's decision to live a simple life.
Her patterns reflect the family s garden, and their animals have inspired quilts, toppers, a pillow and tea towels. Everything comes together in the pieced and appliquéd Simple Life quilt. The six beautiful quilts and eight projects will make you smile.$34.99$14.99
The best 42 answers to the question "Would you let your daughter marry a farmer?" posed in a contest in 1922 are included in this book, along with the traditional quilt blocks they inspired. Each block is fully illustrated and comes with complete cutting templates on the bonus CD.
Everything you need to inspire you to create your own sampler quilt is included:
- 111 six-inch-blocks, piecing diagrams & template cutting directions
- Full directions for making a sampler quilt in lap, twin, queen & king size
- CD has easy-to-print, full-size templates for all 111 blocks & printable quilt construction diagram
Turn fabric strips into perfect triangles with Bonnie K. Hunter’s signature Triangle Tool!
- Get quick, accurate results with the Triangle Tool and Bonus Buddy which doubles as a seam guide for your machine
- Make perfect half-square and quarter-square triangles from precut strips
- Template features dog-eared corners to fit to strip easily and clear lines in two colours for easy marking
The authors of Fat Quarterly, the wildly popular ezine on quilting, share the secrets of their quilting success in a collection of 60 quilt blocks and 12 quilts and projects, with a helpful introduction and coverage of basic techniques.
Each chapter offers 10 colourful quilt blocks, instructions for a full-size quilt and a smaller project, plus all the necessary templates. Both a trusted guide and an inspirational workshop, this is a perfect resource for all quilters, especially members of traditional and online quilting bees.$34.99
Fat Quarters features more than 50 quick, easy ideas for upcycling fat quarters into a variety of pretty patchwork goodies.
These bits of material, often just languishing in a stitcher's stash, can be transformed into a variety of wonderful things. Take one fat quarter and you can make a bowl cover or fabric flower. Take two coordinating quarters and you've got a boho bag or patchwork frame.
You'll be amazed at how far they can go – and when you've finished making these baskets, blankets, quilts and curtains, you may even need to buy more!$29.99
After the international success of her first book, Brigitte Giblin offers us this second volume in which her quilts, inspired by past beauties, are revisited with a colour palette that is as fresh and vibrant as a bouquet of flowers.
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French and the book offers 12 patterns with detailed instructions.$64.99
Finders Keepers Quilts is based on a collection of quilts found in an abandoned farmhouse.
- Original quilts, discovered and photographed in century-old Iowa farmhouse
- Includes 3 versions of each quilt – historical, reproduction and modern
- Clear, concise instructions for making the projects
With a refreshingly new approach to free-motion stitching, First Steps to Free-Motion Quilting encourages you to make something beautiful while improving your free-motion quilting skills.
You'll find projects and quilts that are light on assembly so you can spend most of your time stitching. A handy troubleshooting guide ensures success every step of the way.
- Practice free-motion quilting with 24 easy-to-achieve projects
- Make simple quilts, embellish kitchen towels and clothes, personalize a messenger bag and so much more
- All projects are freehand and require no marking
Get the basics of Tangle drawing and learn how this artform can be used to create this popular art on fabric.
The basics of tangle drawing are taught step-by-step, followed by several tangle designs. Instructions are given for transferring designs to fabric and stitching them either by machine or by hand.
Four small-scale projects, including a uniquely shaped pin cushion, hand-stitched journal cover and mini quilts, give you an opportunity to try out tangle stitching, making useful items for yourself or to give as gifts.$21.99
Say goodbye to tedious hand stitching and scruffy raw-edge appliqué with the incredible Flip & Fuse method! Sew 12 complex-looking quilts with precision, sharp lines and easy curves. You’ll appreciate these bold, geometric designs as a sophisticated alternative to old-school silhouettes.
Even if you’ve been unsuccessful with other appliqué methods, you’ll love how easy it is to Flip & Fuse!
- Transform the way you appliqué with the revolutionary Flip & Fuse method
- A simple and accurate method with easy-to-use patterns designed for speed and economy
- Foolproof way to make complex-looking quilts with patterns in multiple sizes
Quilt historian Barbara Brackman chose carefully from the Spencer Museum's exquisite quilt collection to assemble the quilts for this exhibit, Flora Botanica. The exhibit examined sources and symbolism in floral pattern from various perspectives. The selected quilts ranged in age from the late-18th century to the recent past.
This 96 page catalog includes photos of all the quilts included in the exhibit. Also included are five new quilt projects drawn from the old patterns, plus an introduction by Barbara about how many of these quilts found their way into the Spencer collection.$34.99$17.99
From begonias to lilies, tulips and marigolds, readers will discover how easy it is create colourful, dimensional flowers using machine quilting, patchwork and appliqué.
Detailed step-by-step artworks and gorgeous photography beautifully illustrate Pauline's innovative techniques, which are accompanied by full-size templates for 21 gorgeous 3D flowers.
Variations for each flower show how you can adapt the colours and designs to create your own unique versions. Includes examples of stunning quilt blocks incorporating the flower designs.$44.99$39.99