Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
The Quilter's Companion 2018 Diary features a selection of images showcasing the very best quilts from Australian Quilters Companion magazine.
The handy week-to-view format offers 12 months of creativeness to every quilter as you pass through the year making notes and taking inspiration from the pages, colour choices, quilt layouts and quilting styles.$19.99
Savour the richness and beauty of wool appliqué – its texture, depth, colour and design. Well-known, award-winning folk artist Rebekah Smith will ignite your passion with her simple and elegant designs. Staying true to early decorative arts, the antique colour palette and nature-inspired designs translate seamlessly to many modern living spaces.
- Hand stitch 14 folk-art projects each with full-size patterns and step-by-step instructions
- Appliqué pillows, bed toppers and table runners from woven wools, felted wools and wool felt – upcycling at its finest!
Judy Newman presents her quilting story with advice on choosing colours, fabrics and her favourite products.
The 18 projects, both large and small, feature detailed diagrams and templates. The photography and overall design of the book are stunning as one expects from this publisher. From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$64.99
Give stashed fabrics new life with quilt patterns to make the most of your precut collection! The authors show you the basics of how to quilt from your stash, with a special focus on colour, print and scale.
The vibrant and versatile quilt patterns are tailored to precut fabric strips, squares and fat quarters. Learn how to add additional yardage, mix and match different fabric lines and design a stunning quilt from fabric you already have on hand.
- 13 fresh patterns to use your stash of precut squares, strips and fat quarters
- Alternate colourways and precut choices, such as using 3 fat quarters, 11 precut strips or 42 charm squares
- Tips for resizing quilts with multiple borders or border blocks
Quilt the illusion of stained glass. This rich resource of approachable techniques from expert Allie Aller will let you jump right in with 6 stained glass style quilts, from dazzling wallhangings to throws and bedcovers – full-size pullout pattern included.
Outline pieced and appliquéd shapes 3 different ways – using trims, couching and bias fabric strips. Explore your own ideas for both simple and intricate stained glass designs, and set yourself up for sewing success with tips on organizing your sewing space, using a design wall and more.
- A contemporary spin on stained glass quilts! 6 projects from usable bed quilts to wall decor
- Learn 3 easy ways to add "leading" between the pieces – all without pesky bias tape
- Expand your quilting repertoire with clever techniques and an inspirational stained glass quilt galley
Rooted in the Victorian era, crazy quilting has a powerful allure for today's quilters, who use it to let loose and tell a unique story with fabric. Embrace crazy quilting with 35 must-know stitches and endless variations, shown in clear, step-by-step photographs for both right- and left-handed stitchers.
Fine artist Sharon Boggon reveals design fundamentals to guide you in your process, so you can sew thoughtful, visually appealing blocks. Learn the theory and process behind this fascinating art – how to choose fabrics, piece stitch-and-flip blocks, and embellish seams with embroidery, beads, buttons and charms.
- Learn crazy-quilting techniques with colourful photos that show every detail
- Combine fabric, embellishments, and 35 stitches, plus endless variations, into stunning crazy quilts as unique as you
- Unpack savvy design principals to make order of the chaos and guide the viewer's eye around the block
Celebrate the return of classic Baltimore patterns! Featuring quilts from the 2010 Quilt's Inc exhibit – Baltimore's Daughters-Friends Stitch Past to Future. These smaller blocks make for easier, more portable quilt projects that you and yours will cherish for years to come.
With 25 classic 8" blocks and 12 quilts to make using appliqué basics plus special techniques for appliqué and embellishments. Complete with an inspirational gallery of over 200 contributions.$39.99
Fibre artist Judith Baker Montano is back with this must-have, stand-up guide for hand embroidery, silk ribbon embroidery and crazy quilting:
- Compact, take-anywhere guide to more than 180 stitches and stitch combinations
- Beautifully illustrated in full colour for both left- and right-handers
- Alphabetical stitch listing and illustrated category index make any stitch easy to find
- Handy chart shows which needles to use with various threads and yarns
You can always find the perfect stitch for your project, with dozens of flat, linked, cross, looped, composite, floral and silk ribbon stitches to choose from.$34.99
This comprehensive guide to traditional and contemporary techniques provides the reader with all the information they need to produce beautiful quilting and patchwork projects.
For beginners, there is how-to-start advice and step-by-step photographs, diagrams and instructions to guide them through each stage of their work, and for more experienced quilters there are advanced techniques that they can dip into for help with a particular problem.
For the busy but creative quilter, a section on rotary cutting and speed piecing shows how to achieve satisfying results in no time. The book ends with a gallery of stunning items that will inspire the reader to create amazing patchwork and quilting projects of their own, whatever their ability.
Look inside the book.$34.99
A delightful selection of English paper-piecing quilt pattern, using pieced elements as appliqués, Vicki Bellino eliminates the tedium and opens up exciting new design options.
- 12 inspiring quilt patterns, from a small quilt suitable for framing to larger wall hangings and bed quilts
- English paper-piecing designs categorised by shape: hexagons, diamonds, pentagons and Dresden wedges
- Shapes to make whole quilts, block elements or appliqués – great for scraps!
In this follow-up to her book English Paper Piecing, Vicki Bellino presents a collection of enticing new designs for quilters of all ages and skill levels.
- Expand your repertoire with a variety of shapes and add English paper piecing to quilts, table runners and more
- Choose from 11 eye-catching items ranging from a tote and sewing-machine cover to wall and lap quilts
- Create relatively simple projects as well as more challenging designs
Selecting perfect colour combinations has never been easier! By popular demand, Joen Wolfrom has designed a durable, colour-accurate, double-sided, multi-purpose colour wheel that is perfectly sized for use in your studio, workroom, office or sewing room. And it’s easily transportable!
One side of the wheel features 24 pure colours with 4 essential colour-plan wheels for each colour. The opposite side shows a range of each pure colour’s tints, shades and tones. Pure-colour wedges are slotted so you can audition colours (fabrics, paint swatches, etc) alongside them to ensure a perfect match.
- Beautiful colour reference based on the Ives scientific colour theory – the definitive color source for nearly a century
- Perfect companion to her Ultimate 3-in-1 Color Tool and Studio Color Wheel
- Includes instructions for choosing colours that work together, taking the mystery out of working with tints, tones and shades
Create a quilted tapestry of sumptuous flowers!. Deborah Kemball teaches you to appliqué 40 realistic flowers and 17 sophisticated projects like pillows, table runners, wallhangings and bed quilts.
Hand stitch motifs from Deborah’s award-winning Euphoria quilt, or mix and match flowers to create your own gorgeously detailed masterpiece. With clear instructions and helpful photos, this collection includes full-size patterns you can download and print, plus a handy pullout with two full-size patterns and others that are ready to enlarge on a photocopier.$39.99
Make the most of your stash with these 12 striking quilt designs!
Lynn Harris demonstrates numerous ways to maximize how you use fabric in quilts, including string-pieced blocks, mini-star blocks, appliqué, sawtooth borders and more. Traditional designs are refreshed by giving them a scrappy look while other quilts offer minimalist charm when small scraps are used on broad backgrounds. The quilt gallery, as well as the projects themselves, will inspire you to design in ways you never imagined.$42.99$39.99
Exploring Dimensional Quilt Art takes quilters above and beyond the surface with innovative techniques for raising surfaces and creating three-dimensional fabric structures. Discover how to incorporate these expressive effects into your quilting, from the simplest textured quilt to elaborate twisted and embellished structures, including vessels and hanging installations.
Popular quilt artist June Barnes explores various folding, gathering, pleating, stuffing, padding, shrinking and layering techniques. You'll also achieve intriguing depths to your quilts when you learn how to manipulate the surface of the quilted plane by constructing objects through various means.$39.99$19.99
Paula Nadelstern shows you how to design simple but stunning quilts with the help of vivacious fabric prints.
- Discover your fabric’s hidden potential and sew complex-looking quilts that are easy to piece
- Understand symmetry in fabrics and fool the eye with daring design strategies
- Fussy cut prints to perfection with self-drafted templates and camouflage seams for luminous effects
Your childhood home, an old family caravan, the incredible skyscraper in your city – these are all wonderful subjects that deserve to be re-created in fabric.
Gloria Loughman teaches you to capture your favourite place in fusible appliqué. Her simple technique is easy to master, yet yields stunning results. Draw from one of three included projects, your own photo or memory and downloadable bonus patterns to assemble your own scenes that are captivating, vivid and full of character.
- Tell the story of a favourite place – Gloria shows you how to create buildings, boats, cars, doorways and more
- Quilters of all levels will love the comprehensive attention to fabric, colour and elements of design
- Practice a unique construction method for graphic quilts that resemble woodblock prints
A colourful collection of 14 'fat-quarter-friendly' bags and accessories – two for every day of the week. Each daily duo uses a different quick and simple patchwork or appliqué method.
Step-by-step directions ensure that the bags are as fun to make as to use.
With bags, purses and pockets to suit every style and occasion, Susan's new collection of practical designs will inspire quilters of all abilities.$34.99
Amy Smart shares the tips and techniques she uses to quickly create complex-looking quilts. This go-to collection is ideal for beginners as well as experts who want to make a striking yet speedy quilt.
- Enjoy 12 versatile designs that have lots of movement and work well with many styles of fabric
- Choose from three quilts in each of four shortcut categories: strip piecing; quick corners; slick slicing; and stack, slice and shuffle
- Find enticing patterns in various sizes; many use precuts and scraps
Laura shows you how to make these bright, cheerful fused applique quilts. Along the way, you'll discover 17 different hand stitches that add unique colour and dimension, so you can tell a story with your work. You'll also love the small, take-along size of these projects.Features:
- 11 fun and easy projects-make an assortment of whimsical houses with full-size templates
- Take your art quilts to the next level by hand quilting and embellishing in one step
- Learn how to make windy bindings
Piece beautiful blocks from your scrap bag or uniformly plan your approach from fabric yardage – with line drawings of each quilt to colour in, the choice is yours!
Start with 8 quilt patterns, each shown in 2 distinct looks, plus get easy sewing and pressing tips to remake quilts in your favourite fabrics. Piece complicated-looking designs, learn special binding techniques and uncover new ways to freshen up and use your fabric collection. Even beginning quilters will be able to jump right in and sew their own colourful stash quilts.
- Make 8 quilt projects in scrap or yardage variations, for 2 wildly different looks
- Reimagine your stash, whether it’s made up of consistent colorways or a wild rainbow of scraps
- Learn easy piecing methods and quilting tips for stunning, complex designs
Featuring real-life letters from The Farmer's Wife magazine, Laurie Aaron Hird's new book commemorates the strength and hope of the farm women of the Great Depression.
The book also features:
- 99 six-inch quilt blocks, with assembly diagrams for piecing the blocks and template cutting directions
- Complete instruction for making a sampler quilt in any traditional size: lap, twin, queen or king
- CD with easy-to-print, full-sized templates (and paper-piecing instructions!) for all 99 blocks with printable quilt construction diagrams
The best 42 answers to the question "Would you let your daughter marry a farmer?" posed in a contest in 1922 are included in this book, along with the traditional quilt blocks they inspired. Each block is fully illustrated and comes with complete cutting templates on the bonus CD.
Everything you need to inspire you to create your own sampler quilt is included:
- 111 six-inch-blocks, piecing diagrams & template cutting directions
- Full directions for making a sampler quilt in lap, twin, queen & king size
- CD has easy-to-print, full-size templates for all 111 blocks & printable quilt construction diagram
Turn fabric strips into perfect triangles with Bonnie K. Hunter’s signature Triangle Tool!
- Get quick, accurate results with the Triangle Tool and Bonus Buddy which doubles as a seam guide for your machine
- Make perfect half-square and quarter-square triangles from precut strips
- Template features dog-eared corners to fit to strip easily and clear lines in two colours for easy marking
The authors of Fat Quarterly, the wildly popular ezine on quilting, share the secrets of their quilting success in a collection of 60 quilt blocks and 12 quilts and projects, with a helpful introduction and coverage of basic techniques.
Each chapter offers 10 colourful quilt blocks, instructions for a full-size quilt and a smaller project, plus all the necessary templates. Both a trusted guide and an inspirational workshop, this is a perfect resource for all quilters, especially members of traditional and online quilting bees.$34.99
Fat Quarters features more than 50 quick, easy ideas for upcycling fat quarters into a variety of pretty patchwork goodies.
These bits of material, often just languishing in a stitcher's stash, can be transformed into a variety of wonderful things. Take one fat quarter and you can make a bowl cover or fabric flower. Take two coordinating quarters and you've got a boho bag or patchwork frame.
You'll be amazed at how far they can go – and when you've finished making these baskets, blankets, quilts and curtains, you may even need to buy more!$29.99