Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
Continue the lovely promenade begun in the garden with 16 Dutch quilts old and new compiled for us by An Moonen and Petra Prins, this time in the beautiful Middachten Castle. The projects are reproductions of vintage quilts and are all explained and photographed in an exceptional setting!
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$64.99
Explore new options in improvisational piecing and empower your creativity! Cut and combine solid-colour fabrics to create your own "prints" – stripes, polka dots, chevrons, plaids and more.
Forget the rules (and even your ruler) as you piece colourful solids into compelling quilt designs. Use colour, pattern and repetition to develop your personal design aesthetic as you stitch freely to create unique quilts that pack a punch!
- Piece new prints and patterns out of solid fabrics and use them to create original, dynamic quilt designs
- Empower your creativity – work freely without preconceived ideas
- Join author Maria Shell in a step-by-step journey of artistic discovery with this fascinating visual guide
Turn the corner to free-motion success with a meandering makeover! Best-selling author Angela Walters shows you that free-motion quilting doesn't have to be scary – with a couple designs in your pocket, you can finish almost any quilt on your home machine and enjoy the process.
Practice 8 meandering stitches for beginners, plus creative variations on each, with step-by-step visuals and quilted samples. Start your free-motion journey on the right foot with proven techniques to help you disguise mistakes and transition between designs with ease.
- Thrive at free-motion quilting with popular teacher and best-selling author Angela Walters
- Just starting out? Angela includes the basics of quilting and supplies
- Troubleshoot mistakes, master the meander and practice fluid movement between quilt stitches
Featuring 100 block patterns and 100 fabulous quilt designs, this book enables you to sew a fantastic collection of scrap quilts.
Every block featured comes with a breakdown of the fabric scraps required, assembly instructions and a detailed illustration of the finished block. Each of the 100 blocks can be used to make one of the author's quilt designs or adapted and combined to design and sew your own unique quilts.
Alongside the block patterns and quilt designs, the author has drawn on years of teaching experience to include the ultimate quilting hacks, tips and tricks, as well as his 'rules' for successful scrap quilting. Plus, all the major techniques are explained with the help of step-by-step photographs.This book is perfect for beginners attempting their first quilt, and experienced quilters looking for new inspiration.$39.99
Move beyond one-patch hexagon layouts and turn six-sided shapes into versatile quilt design elements! Sew single, triple, rosette, sprocket, and medallion blocks in a variety of sizes and pieced combinations for stunning visual effects.
Eleven hexagon quilts invite you to master the Y-seam by machine or hand, as you sew astounding quilts that beg the question, "How'd you do that?" Mix it up with the author’s design primer, which gives you the tools to create new hex effects and draft your own stunning hexie quilt.
- Hexa-yawn to hexagon – create a repertoire of hexagons as you piece unusual layouts and radial designs that defy tradition
- Design your own dynamic hexagon quilt from mix-and-match blocks using English paper piecing or your machine
- Make your own templates, buy acrylic templates, use precut papers or get shapes from Inklingo to print on your fabric
Do you long to make beautiful quilts but have such a busy life you can never find the time? Imagine creating a quilt top – maybe even your first – in just a weekend!
This jelly roll quilt pattern collection includes 15 contemporary quilts, which are easy enough to piece in a weekend. Jelly rolls are a fantastic shortcut to patchwork and quilting: you can avoid the hours of cutting and preparation required for making a quilt and go straight to the fun bit – the sewing!
Pam and Nicky Lintott are jelly roll experts, having written numerous books and hundreds of patterns, and they have developed a brand new collection of quilt patterns for jelly roll lovers and quilters looking for a stunning quilt pattern that comes together in super-fast time.$36.99
Create a glorious, Medieval alphabet sampler, richly illuminated with Australian and mythical flora and fauna, then try 5 projects that show ways to use the designs in letter cushions and pictures, or alter the designs to create a:
- Welcome fold-out tryptich screen
- Girl's name bunny quilt
- Boy's name fairytale cot quilt
- 12 repeat-block floral quilt & bolster
Full-size templates, colour photos, directions for projects and techniques (eg embroidery; free-form padded appliqué).$29.99$9.99
Are you ready to take the challenge? Embark on a creative journey to design the kind of quilts you’ve always wanted to make! Sew alongside Wendy Hill and Pat Pease as you nurture your own voice of self-expression.
- Explore your creativity! 7 quilt challenges to help you design your own quilts, with 2 unique perspectives on each
- Tools, tricks and techniques, including quilting-as-you-sew that really looks good and facing finishes with smooth corners
- Develop your own style and improve your technical skills
Creative Stash and Scrap Quilts is a collection of 19 inspirational quilt patterns from the pages of Quilters Companion magazine.
These projects were chosen to motivate you to start working on your stash, no matter what style of quilter you are. Six of the projects are made using templates, seven projects are rotary cut and the final six are predominately appliquéd.$19.99
An overview of Nancy Crow shows why she 'stands at the forefront of innovative quiltmaking' and is 'one of the premier colourists in contemporary American art'.
From initial idea to finished quilt, sketches, mock-ups and quilts show the progressive transformation of her improvisational approach (unmeasured piecing, free-hand cut shapes) using dynamic colour, line, also 'primitive' monoprint marks.$39.99
Bold, vibrant, striking – and amazingly easy to make! This collection of 15 quilts draws on handmade crafts from three continents to create a style that’s at once traditional and modern, artistic and practical.
A simple stack, cut, shuffle, and stitch technique makes the sewing fun for quilters of any level. Perfection is not required! Author Sujata Shah provides alternate setting suggestions for each project, plus an inspiring photo gallery of the crafts that shaped her style. Making these quilts is the perfect way to expand your creative horizons.
- Transform traditional quilt blocks into 15 modern quilts inspired by the colours and crafts of India, the American South and Africa
- Free-form piecing method makes every quilt a one-of-a-kind creation – no two are ever exactly alike!
- Enrich your quilting by bringing in textures, patterns and colours from other cultures
10 quilt patterns and 12 eye-catching patchwork projects perfect for weekend crafting. Every project is designed using only squares and rectangles, great for true beginners. It showcases fun, slightly quirky designs that take quilts into new graphic territory. Davis reinterprets quilt traditions such as basket weave, rail fence and housetop in a bold new way. With advice on colour and fabric selection and an extensive how-to section teaching the fastest, simplest and most reliable methods modern quilting has to offer. Projects include book cover, pillows, runner, pot holders, apron, grocery bag…$39.99
This book is an example of how the power of one quilt can inspire so many others! It must have been quite some feat to scavenge, in wartime, the fabric to make the quilt complete with its 169 square and 52 triangular blocks.
It is an example of quilt maker's art and here in this book lovingly recreated are 225 patterns from the celebrated quilt. You will be kept busy with this large collection of blocks!$39.99
Pulled from the pages of Quilty magazine, this collection of 12 beginner-friendly quilts has everything you love about the magazine: straight-forward instructions, helpful hints and a sense of humour.
Go behind the scenes to learn about the people that make Quilty possible and get to know the designers of your favourite quilts. Whether you're a complete quilting newbie or have several quilts under your belt, Dear Quilty is here to help, every stitch of the way.$39.99$34.99
Discover 26 Dresden Plate designs that shine with intricate style.
You can sew each stunning Dresden on a sewing machine or by hand using English paper piecing – Katja Marek shows you how, every step of the way. Plus, Katja's done all the math work for you. Just trace, cut and stitch for piecing that's a perfect fit!
Show off all your colourful Dresdens in six inspiring projects: a table runner, Christmas tree skirt, lap quilt, wall quilt, pillows and place mats.$39.99
In this beginner's guide to free-motion, continuous-line quilting designs, the focus is on selecting the right forms and lines that get you where you need to go ... because sometimes the hardest part is figuring out where to quilt next!
You'll gain confidence in your innate artistic ability to draw basic shapes, then you'll learn how to put them together into over a hundred different all-over quilting designs.
- See how easy it can be to create interesting quilting designs by mastering your doodling skills
- From squiggles and swirls to flowers and feathers, learn which shapes are best for confined spaces and which work better traveling across your quilt
- Includes drawing exercises and tips for transferring your designs from paper to fabric
Learn how to turn squares and rectangles into circles and ovals with no curved piecing – it's easy!
Use innovative layering, playful patterns and delightful colour choices to create 11 mind-bending quilt projects that will have you seeing double. The best-selling author of Strips n Curves shares three simple construction methods. With something for every type of quilter, the endless possibilities of this collection will inspire you to see quilting in a whole new light.$39.99
Get ready for new adventures in conventional piecing. Create stunning Double Wedding Ring quilts with breathtaking innovations on the classic pattern.
The book will teach you the Double Wedding Ring basics. After you’ve mastered curved foundation piecing, try your hand at Victoria’s unique fabric slashing methods – it’s easier than you think! You’ll feel liberated as you improvise on her designs, with full instruction for some quilts and others that invite your creative discovery.
Read the stories that inspired each of Victoria’s designs, and then take inspiration from the artist at work in her studio, with photography of her creative process and three bonus quilts to jumpstart your own art.
- 13 modern Double Wedding Ring quilts and their stories
- Peek inside the studio of award-winning quilter Victoria Findlay Wolfe
- Full-size patterns – learn paper piecing, fabric slashing and tips to create “Made-Fabric”
- Modern traditional designs with fresh colour choices
Transform your living space into a relaxing retreat when you stitch up soft, simple and naturally beautiful quilts. Lydia Loretta Nelson’s soothing, handmade touches lend a touch of warmth to every room in your home – including all the spaces where memories are made.
- 14 easy patchwork and appliqué projects include quilts, pillows and a pet bed
- Low volume quilts lend a lovely, welcoming feel to any home decor
- Create timeless decor to personalize your living space – dream houses and temporary digs alike
A parade of modern Dresden quilts awaits, packed with playful colour choices, all-new layouts and exciting borders. Basic needle-turn techniques are included, and patterns range from beginner-friendly to more advanced. Take a vintage favourite and infuse it with pizazz. These truly innovative Dresden blocks will become heirlooms for the next generation.
- Vintage made modern! Infuse a perennial favourite with pizzazz
- 16 projects, 4 bonus project variations, and 5 alternate colourways for loads of options
- Fresh ideas for beginners to more advanced quilters
Step up your piecing with a small-scale version of the cherished Dresden Plate. Fall in love with the classic quilt block all over again as you learn the secret to impeccable mini Dresdens in two sizes – 4½" and 9" finished.
Polish your piecing, pressing and appliqué with proven techniques and apply those skills to 13 projects from bed-size beauties to wallhangings and table toppers. A mix of easy and intermediate quilts includes a quilt-as-you-go project, tranquil yet engaging colour palettes and not-quite-traditional layouts with their own unique flair.
- Stitch tiny Dresden Plates with perfect points and petals
- Sew 13 unique quilt projects ranging from a table runner to a bed quilt
- Learn precision piecing and pressing tips anyone can use, plus blind-hem appliqué and practical quilt-as-you-go
Patricia Belyea offers improv instruction and shares her appealing Quilt Manifesto of five simple rules. While providing quilters with a starting point, the fifth rule of the Manifesto, "Break any rule you like," opens the door to creative freedom. (However, the solid instructions allow even the rule-breakers to create beautiful quilts on the first try).
Fourteen projects combine authentic Japanse yukata cottons and contemporary fabrics; each is finished with bold hand stitching. The quilt-making process is presented in detail, and each quilt shows the irresistible wabi-sabi influence of Japanese design. The sense of discovery in each project is like nothing else available.$39.99
For terrific quilts that are simple and quick, check out Easy Collection from the editors of Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting magazine.
- Each can be made in a weekend or less
- Simplified patchwork, larger blocks, strip sets and other shortcuts make it all possible without sacrificing beauty
- 28 projects – Jake's Escalator, Mod Garden, Aromatherapy, Snapshot, Purple Haze, Squares and Stripes, Urban Spaces, Empire World, Gatsby, French Farmhouse, Star-Spangled Beauty, Venetian Dream, Watermelon and Shoofly, Patriotic Patchwork, Jazzy Cats, Happy Howling, Lightning Strikes, Victoria Star, Rainbow Hippie, Sunflowers, Split Pea Soup, Spin City, Phoebe, Color Wave, Sunset Runner, Shooting Stars table runner, Sunny Trio and Stars of the Past.
Sink your teeth into 11 quick and easy quilts that you can whip up in a jiffy – even if you're a total beginner!
The creative team behind Me and My Sister Designs is back with simply stunning quilts created expressly for your favourite 10-inch-square precuts. Helpful how-to instructions and illustrations will guide you through an exciting and successful quilting adventure from start to finish.$34.99
Jennifer Sampou pairs paper-pieced and appliquéd motifs with a background of easy-to-sew strips. Gender-neutral and customizable, this artistically modern design is a definite showpiece. The full-size pattern includes complete instructions to make a quilt and a matching pillow.
- Unique, gender-neutral design with full-size patterns
- Soft background with a splash of vibrant color
- Paper-pieced, appliquéd elephant and person motifs
- Finished quilt: 50" x 56"
- Finished pillow: 24" x 24"
Celebrate the return of classic Baltimore patterns! Featuring quilts from the 2010 Quilt's Inc exhibit – Baltimore's Daughters-Friends Stitch Past to Future. These smaller blocks make for easier, more portable quilt projects that you and yours will cherish for years to come.
With 25 classic 8" blocks and 12 quilts to make using appliqué basics plus special techniques for appliqué and embellishments. Complete with an inspirational gallery of over 200 contributions.$39.99