Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
In the rural community of Gee's Bend, Alabama, African American women have been making quilts for generations. They use scraps of old overalls, aprons, bleached cornmeal sacks – anything they can find. Their traditions have been passed down through the decades.
Much to the women's surprise, a selection of the quilts was featured in an exhibition at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, in 2002. The exhibition then travelled to the Whitney Museum in New York.
In this look at the close-knit community of Gee's Bend, Susan Goldman Rubin explores the history and culture of an amazing group of women and their unique quilting traditions. A map, directions on how to make a quilt square, endnotes and an index round out the book.$29.99
Step up your piecing with a small-scale version of the cherished Dresden Plate. Fall in love with the classic quilt block all over again as you learn the secret to impeccable mini Dresdens in two sizes – 4½" and 9" finished.
Polish your piecing, pressing and appliqué with proven techniques and apply those skills to 13 projects from bed-size beauties to wallhangings and table toppers. A mix of easy and intermediate quilts includes a quilt-as-you-go project, tranquil yet engaging colour palettes and not-quite-traditional layouts with their own unique flair.
- Stitch tiny Dresden Plates with perfect points and petals
- Sew 13 unique quilt projects ranging from a table runner to a bed quilt
- Learn precision piecing and pressing tips anyone can use, plus blind-hem appliqué and practical quilt-as-you-go
Sew a slice of life with 12 traditional quilts that prove to be more than just patterns but storytellers.
- Each quilt is inspired by life events that everyone can appreciate
- Bold blocks shimmer in their use of colour, value and repetition for handsome quilts with personality to boot
- Repeated blocks will stretch your skills beyond the basics, inviting you to perfect techniques such as strip piecing, half-square triangles, working with templates, paper piecing, machine appliqué and sewing set-in seams and curves in a way that's easy to understand
Today's most talented modern quilters share their block designs, with new ways to think about the classics, plus some brand new. These fresh and fun 12" blocks are beginner-friendly with complete cutting instructions. This book is great for block swaps; combine blocks to make your own impressive modern quilt.
- 99 blocks from today's most popular modern quilters
- Try something entirely new or put a twist on traditional blocks
- Choose from pieced, appliquéd and embroidered designs
- Perfect for using your novelty, designer and solid fabrics
Here in its entirety is the famous Discovery, the mystery quilt created by Petra Prins with the magnificent reproduction fabrics Dutch Heritage that she designed with Nel Kooiman for Anbo Fabrics.
- Fabric guide to choose a harmonious colour pallet
- Detailed instructions with diagrams and colour illustrations
- All the templates required
- Links to YouTube videos
From Quiltmania with text in English.$39.99
It's time for a brand-new year filled with cheerful quilts shown in all their fabulous, full-colour glory. You'll find a wide variety of designs to tempt you, including scrappy patchwork, simple embroidery, primitive accents and more so you can sew along all 12 months with That Patchwork Place.
- Features 12 carefully curated quilt projects including table runners, throws, a pincushion and a bed-sized quilt
- 28-page pull-out booklet with step-by-step instructions for every project makes it easy to re-create each design
- Projects by top designers are shown in full-colour, styled photos
Free yourself from preconceived notions about color and get ready to push the creative envelope! This must-have book inspires you to experiment with solids to gain a deep understanding of how color functions. Perfect for both the adventurous beginner and skilled intermediate quilter, the 12 modern quilt projects show you how to create fresh combinations, vibrancy and movement using different hues.
To make the projects accessible, affordable, and stunning, author Amanda Murphy developed a pre-cut package of Robert Kaufman Fabrics that can be used in conjunction with this book.
- Perfect go-to guide for quilters of any skill level
- Create 12 quilts (9 pieced quilts, pillow, placemat and table runner) with a dynamic style
- Designs use pre-cut strips, squares, roll ups and fat-quarter bundles
Joen Wolfrom's classic guide to creating with colour has been completely updated to make it easier than ever to enhance your creative work with the beauty of well-chosen colours.
Joen covers it all, from colour combining basics to how to use nature's tricks to create an illusion of depth, reflections, shadows and highlights. Learn the emotional meanings of colours, their physical effects on people and much more – all richly illustrated with photos of nature and of beautiful quilts.
- A feast for the eyes – over 100 new quilt photos show how to use colour effectively
- A must-have reference: includes swatches of tints, shades and tones for all 24 colours in the Ives Color Wheel
- A spark for your imagination: try out five different colour schemes for each of the 24 colours
Colorful Fabric Collage walks you through the techniques that renowned quilter Sue Bleiweiss uses to create her colourful, vibrant art quilts. You will learn easy fusing techniques that serve as the basis for her design, along with ideas for keeping and using a sketchbook, hand-dyeing fabric and adding further embellishments.
The techniques and 14 projects feature:
- Steps to successfully design, fuse and quilt based on Sue's signature style
- Inspiration to tap into your creativity to personalize each project with uniquely meaningful images
- Ways to draw project patterns and sketch your own quilt designs from scratch
- Easy-to-master techniques for sketching quilt designs, fusing layers of fabric into a collage and embellishing and finishing each piece in a clever way
Shows you how you can get the most out of your sewing machine while quilting, from working easily with different weights of batting and fabric, to great time-saving tricks, and adding a cornucopia of decorative stitching effects.
For those new to the wonderful world of quilting, you will find all the help and advice you need to get started. And if you are considering upgrading your machine, you'll also find a guide on which machine will best suit your quilting needs.
So whether you have just completed your first piece of patchwork and find quilting a daunting prospect, or have been quilting your own work for years, this book is packed with all the information you need to get the most out of machine quilting, inspiring new design ideas and finishes along the way.$34.99
Focusing on one skill at a time, The Complete Quilter teaches you everything you need to know about quilt-making. Discover how you can put quilt blocks together in a variety of layout designs to create wonderful modern projects using a range of delightful fabrics, patterns and colourways.
This all-in-one volume covers fabric selection, cutting, pressing, joining blocks, basting, hand and machine quilting, binding and making labels. With designs ranging from traditional to contemporary, you can easily work your way through the book building your skills on basic patchwork and appliqué as well as improvisational piecing.$39.99
Travel to an exotic land with timeless designs inspired by Turkish Iznik tiles from the Ottoman Empire.
Bursting with flora and organic symmetry, the book’s exquisite fusible appliqué projects will take your breath away. Your journey begins with the basics – choosing the right fabric, thread and needles for hand-stitched or machine appliqué.
Newer or busy quilters can start with table runners or bags and work their way up to Tamsin Harvey’s stunning master quilts. Location photography enhances 8 patterns that effortlessly go from ancient places to contemporary spaces.
- 8 striking fusible appliqué projects designed from ancient tile work are included
- Travel photography throughout the book shows real-life examples of the intricate tile inspiration
- Designs include large and small projects suited to quilters of all skill levels
Once you pick up your needle and thread, you won't want to put them down! Enjoy stitching small and sweet quilted projects with embroidered accents, including a table topper, pincushion, tote bag, wall hangings and more.
- Create decor for your entire home with designs you can customize with your favourite colours and fabrics
- Add simple embroidery motifs including birds, flowers, hearts and houses for the whimsical look you love
- Clear how-to illustrations and beginner-friendly instructions are included
A little bit retro with a tasteful blend of trendy and traditional, these 13 designs from popular Moda Fabrics designer Bonnie Olaveson of Cotton Way are presented together for the first time in a curated collection of all-time favourites.
Styled photos showcase lap-sized to bed-sized projects featuring classic blocks in traditional settings. Fill your home with fresh and light patchwork that will never go out of style!$34.99
This collection of 15 beautiful quilted designs from top designer Lynette Anderson focuses on a 'country garden' theme.
The simple patchwork techniques Lynette uses are a great backdrop for the decorative appliqué and stitchery designs. The designs feature a wide range of ideas, from quick-to-stitch bags and cushion covers to larger wall hangings and a bed-sized quilt.
Beautiful fabrics, warm colours and a homely feel capture Lynette's heart-warming, quirky style.$34.99
Jan has gathered all the quilts which have been significant in her life. She is recognised as the pioneer of the Folk Art style which she has been practising for 30 years.
Through her appliqué works, she likes to tell stories, a little something about her life, her surroundings and people around her. She creates quilts to warm her soul. Twenty of her most beautiful projects are featured here, complete with instructions and full size templates. From Quiltmania with text in both French and English.$59.99$19.99
Bring the country style into your home with this unique collection of patchwork quilts and gifts from quilt designer, Lynette Anderson.
This adorable collection of projects really captures the essence of country style. Choose from sewing baskets and scissor keeps through to wall quilts and full sized bed quilts, all made with Lynette's unique talent for colour and pattern.
The inspiration for her designs comes from nature, her garden and her animals, and all of these are reflected in this new collection of patterns. The designs feature lots of Lynette's trademark hand embroidery and stitching and make for great portable projects for stitching 'on the go'.
Also includes the basic techniques you will need to make and finish off the projects, from transferring designs onto fabric to binding a finished quilt.$39.99
Tara Lynn Darr shows you how to spice up your quilts with a cozy mix of wool hexagons, stars, blooms and more.
This charming collection of 11 small scrappy quilts is a great way to put your scrap basket of cotton and wool fabrics to use.$39.99$14.99
For nearly 30 years, The Crazy Quilt Handbook has been the essential guide to the fine art of crazy quilting. This newly updated edition brings you more of everything that makes crazy quilting wonderful: gorgeous stitches, embellishments, fabulous crazy quilt photos and updated beautiful projects to make for yourself.
Learn all the ways you can use crazy quilting to decorate clothing and accessories, beautify your home, share family memories and create heirlooms for future generations. This is the must-have resource for any crazy quilter, whether you are just a beginner or are an experienced stitcher looking to enhance your technique.
- The best-selling crazy quilting guide from world-renowned expert Judith Baker Montano, now updated with new stitches and techniques
- Includes 12 beautiful projects, a dictionary of 37 embroidery and silk ribbon stitches, and instructions for additional embellishments
- Benefit from Judith’s wealth of knowledge on colours, fabrics, piecing, embroidery, appliqué, embellishing, beading, photography, painting, dyeing and more
Everything you need to know to create your own beautiful heirloom crazy quilts, from Victorian quilts to modern artworks, including:
- 10 piecing methods
- 100+ embroidery stitches for ribbons, flosses, threads
- Techniques for dyeing, painting, stamping, printing, and embroidering on silk, cotton, rayon, wool, linen
- Directions for adding dimensional embellishments like buttons, beads, tassels, cording
- Tips for finishing your quilts
All skill levels. Fully illustrated step-by-step with colour diagrams and close-up photos.$42.99$39.99
Australian artist Carolyn Konig is deeply in love with antique quilts and reinterprets the past with huge talent. Here are 15 sophisticated projects on which to feast your eyes and to contemplate with much patience.
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French and full-size templates and patterns.$64.99
Create a glorious, Medieval alphabet sampler, richly illuminated with Australian and mythical flora and fauna, then try 5 projects that show ways to use the designs in letter cushions and pictures, or alter the designs to create a:
- Welcome fold-out tryptich screen
- Girl's name bunny quilt
- Boy's name fairytale cot quilt
- 12 repeat-block floral quilt & bolster
Full-size templates, colour photos, directions for projects and techniques (eg embroidery; free-form padded appliqué).$29.99$9.99
Are you ready to take the challenge? Embark on a creative journey to design the kind of quilts you’ve always wanted to make! Sew alongside Wendy Hill and Pat Pease as you nurture your own voice of self-expression.
- Explore your creativity! 7 quilt challenges to help you design your own quilts, with 2 unique perspectives on each
- Tools, tricks and techniques, including quilting-as-you-sew that really looks good and facing finishes with smooth corners
- Develop your own style and improve your technical skills
Creative Stash and Scrap Quilts is a collection of 19 inspirational quilt patterns from the pages of Quilters Companion magazine.
These projects were chosen to motivate you to start working on your stash, no matter what style of quilter you are. Six of the projects are made using templates, seven projects are rotary cut and the final six are predominately appliquéd.$19.99
Make a huggable quilt for a special wee one! Quilting experts Christine Porter and Darra Williamson present 11 eye-catching baby-quilt patterns in a variety of oh-so-adorable styles.
- Choose from a mix of traditional pieced quilts and whimsical appliqué designs – full-sized patterns are included
- Find lots of tips throughout and an assortment of projects for both boys and girls
- Enjoy inspiring quilt patterns that include detailed quilting suggestions (with photo) for each quilt
Bold, vibrant, striking – and amazingly easy to make! This collection of 15 quilts draws on handmade crafts from three continents to create a style that’s at once traditional and modern, artistic and practical.
A simple stack, cut, shuffle, and stitch technique makes the sewing fun for quilters of any level. Perfection is not required! Author Sujata Shah provides alternate setting suggestions for each project, plus an inspiring photo gallery of the crafts that shaped her style. Making these quilts is the perfect way to expand your creative horizons.
- Transform traditional quilt blocks into 15 modern quilts inspired by the colours and crafts of India, the American South and Africa
- Free-form piecing method makes every quilt a one-of-a-kind creation – no two are ever exactly alike!
- Enrich your quilting by bringing in textures, patterns and colours from other cultures