Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
Mary and Joe Koval, antique dealers and collectors of vintage quilts, offer us in this moving book their story of love for quilts that has endured nearly 40 years.
A book in two voices, lavishly illustrated with a hundred photos, it is a treasury of inspiration, full of warmth and stories lived!
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$80.00
Behind the Max & Louise Pattern Co. are two friends, Lisa Kerr and Louisa Lott, who share a joint passion for quilts. Located near Melbourne, Lisa and Louisa are proud to announce the launch of their first book featuring 17 inspirational projects for quilters who love both piecing and appliqué!
Together they create, adapt and reproduce, with outstanding talent, what they love most – antique and traditional quilts.
From Quiltmania with text in English and French with two full-size pattern templates.$64.99
Solids: they're versatile, they're affordable, and they've got the starring role in 13 vibrant quilts by top designers!
This collection of bright and simple-to-stitch designs with subtle modern style shines in colourful Kona Cottons. Re-creating each quilt is a snap, thanks to comprehensive colour keys and colour names included with each pattern.$32.99
Enjoy Margaret Mew's reproductions of 19th century quilts from the original 13 British colonies in America with a few from Australia's colonial history.
The 17 projects include diagrams and templates with the styling of the book stunning, as always with Quiltmania. The text is in French and English with a pattern sheet included.$64.99
Turn the corner to free-motion success with a meandering makeover! Best-selling author Angela Walters shows you that free-motion quilting doesn't have to be scary – with a couple designs in your pocket, you can finish almost any quilt on your home machine and enjoy the process.
Practice 8 meandering stitches for beginners, plus creative variations on each, with step-by-step visuals and quilted samples. Start your free-motion journey on the right foot with proven techniques to help you disguise mistakes and transition between designs with ease.
- Thrive at free-motion quilting with popular teacher and best-selling author Angela Walters
- Just starting out? Angela includes the basics of quilting and supplies
- Troubleshoot mistakes, master the meander and practice fluid movement between quilt stitches
Explore new options in improvisational piecing and empower your creativity! Cut and combine solid-colour fabrics to create your own "prints" – stripes, polka dots, chevrons, plaids and more.
Forget the rules (and even your ruler) as you piece colourful solids into compelling quilt designs. Use colour, pattern and repetition to develop your personal design aesthetic as you stitch freely to create unique quilts that pack a punch!
- Piece new prints and patterns out of solid fabrics and use them to create original, dynamic quilt designs
- Empower your creativity – work freely without preconceived ideas
- Join author Maria Shell in a step-by-step journey of artistic discovery with this fascinating visual guide
Popular designers Kay Connors and Karen Earlywine present 10 fresh quilts that take their cues from 1930s classics. Inspired by antique quilts and patterns discovered in old newspapers, these projects are brimming with old-fashioned charm.
- See the original 1930s designs that sparked this collection of patterns written for today's techniques
- Be inspired to try everything from patchwork to appliqué, embroidery, making yo-yos, using rickrack and quilting by hand
- Use full-sized appliqué patterns – no enlargements needed – and find projects for all skill levels
Carol Doak is back with something new and exciting for paper piecers! Learn how the same rectangular unit can work in dramatically different ways in the blocks and borders of your quilt.
If you haven't tried paper-piecing yet, this book is for you, too. You'll discover how quickly and easily your quilt comes together with Carol's foundation piecing technique. She provides tips for tools and fabrics, plus plenty of inspiration.
- See how just one rectangle unit works beautifully in both blocks and borders with full-size paper-piecing patterns
- Try Carol's inspiring quilt projects to learn how to work with unit placement, how to paper-piece and how to choose your fabrics
- Get creative with your own unit combinations – patterns on the CD give you flexibility to change the size of your quilt, or design your own pattern
See the Carolina Lily block expressed in 18 exciting new applications!
The National Quilt Museum's annual New Quilts from an Old Favorite Contest once again showcases the talent of today's quiltmakers. Using the Carolina Lily block, quilters around the world are invited to apply their original interpretations to this traditional favourite.
This is a companion volume to the contest and exhibit.$39.99
Vanessa Goertzen puts charm squares to the test with 18 projects using precut 5" x 5" squares. Start with fresh, simple blocks and build your skills to sew versatile snowballs, stars, flying geese and more. Using precuts from your stash or cutting your own charms from scraps or yardage, you’ll learn tips to take the guesswork out of piecing.
Quilters of all types will fall in love with these quick, clever and clean designs that go beyond the expected with irresistible blocks that bridge the gap between modern and traditional.$39.99
Emily Fisher is eager to meet the new employee at her father’s shop in Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania. But when Christopher Hostettler arrives, his cold demeanor freezes her attempts at building a friendship.
Longing for a fresh start, Christopher travels from Ohio to Bird-in-Hand. Christopher’s heart is still wounded from memories of home, and making new friends is the last thing on his mind – he knows the pain that comes with losing those you love. When Emily is kind to him, he tries to remain distant, but he soon finds himself stealing glances at her throughout the day.
When Christopher shares his tragic reasons for leaving home, Emily decides to make a quilt for him as a gesture of their friendship. The two are quickly falling in love when a family emergency calls Christopher back to Ohio without warning.
Emily finishes the quilt, in spite of her pain. But when Christopher receives it, will he have the courage to follow his heart?$24.99
Improve your quilt designs by learning how to organise fabric by size and colour, while making adorably sophisticated quilts (both pieced and appliquéd) for babies and children.
Each of the 20 bright, happy quilts is shown in warm and cool colourways to spark the imagination and use up your stash. Stacey Day's friendly voice and great advice make it easy to choose beautiful palettes and add design flair, while also guiding you through the best methods for organising fabrics by colour and size, from tiny scraps to bulky yardage.$39.99
Those magnificent block printed fabrics from Indonesia inspired European ladies for their needle work projects and quilts. This book tells you everything you need to know about the history of chintz, and it features stunning photos of the most beautiful quilts from the Poos collection, one of the largest privately held quilt and textile collections in the world.
What a treasure from Quiltmania with text in both English and French!$90.00
Gail Pan's whimsical, cheerful embroidery style is incredibly easy to re-create, whether you're an experienced stitcher or have never picked up a needle. Think you're too busy to make gifts for the holidays? Finishing is easy with projects that are so portable and quick you can stitch while travelling, socializing, or even as you wait for an appointment.
- Gail explains it all: which needles to use, how to choose thread, how to mark the designs on fabric, how to make each stitch and more
- Featuring festive designs to bedeck gift tags, bags, wall hangings, Christmas stockings, table runners, sewing accessories and much more
- Enjoy a satisfying and relaxing way to decorate your home for the holidays – or create one-of-a-kind gifts from the heart
Step back in time with 15 favourite patchwork-quilt patterns. Each pattern design features classic blocks evocative of the era, beautifully showcasing today's reproduction quilt fabrics.
- Wonderfully scrappy, small quilt patterns in sizes perfect for wall hangings and doll quilts
- Simple, step-by-step instructions with clear diagrams and pressing directions
- Value-packed collection with something for every skill level
In this follow-up to her best-selling Civil War Legacies, Carol Hopkins presents another outstanding collection of charming projects. Each engaging quilt is ideal for scraps and 1860s reproduction fabrics.
- Choose from 17 traditional patterns with something for every skill level
- Be inspired by Carol's "To Add Interest" tips regarding fabric selection
- Create quilts with timeless appeal – these small patterns make beautiful wall hangings, doll quilts and gifts
Featuring simple pieced blocks, these gorgeous quilts showcase Carol Hopkins' talent for selecting reproduction fabrics to create quilts reminiscent of antique treasures.
- Choose from 16 quilt patterns ideally suited for your smallest scraps
- Close-up photos bring the details into crystal-clear focus
- Enjoy patterns that are perfect for wall hangings, table toppers, doll beds and special gifts
In this fourth book from her Civil War Legacies series, you'll find a collection of small, spectacular quilts where every scrap you save can shine.
Make a quilt honoring the Blue and Gray Trail; choose a stunning tribute to the woman who established the American Red Cross; stitch a sampler chock-full of charming Basket blocks. Along with 14 of Carol 's exquisite designs to make step by step, you'll enjoy reading little-known facts about the Civil War and Carol's stories about how each stunning little quilt came to be.$39.99
Joen Wolfrom's classic guide to creating with colour has been completely updated to make it easier than ever to enhance your creative work with the beauty of well-chosen colours.
Joen covers it all, from colour combining basics to how to use nature's tricks to create an illusion of depth, reflections, shadows and highlights. Learn the emotional meanings of colours, their physical effects on people and much more – all richly illustrated with photos of nature and of beautiful quilts.
- A feast for the eyes – over 100 new quilt photos show how to use colour effectively
- A must-have reference: includes swatches of tints, shades and tones for all 24 colours in the Ives Color Wheel
- A spark for your imagination: try out five different colour schemes for each of the 24 colours
Colorful Fabric Collage walks you through the techniques that renowned quilter Sue Bleiweiss uses to create her colourful, vibrant art quilts. You will learn easy fusing techniques that serve as the basis for her design, along with ideas for keeping and using a sketchbook, hand-dyeing fabric and adding further embellishments.
The techniques and 14 projects feature:
- Steps to successfully design, fuse and quilt based on Sue's signature style
- Inspiration to tap into your creativity to personalize each project with uniquely meaningful images
- Ways to draw project patterns and sketch your own quilt designs from scratch
- Easy-to-master techniques for sketching quilt designs, fusing layers of fabric into a collage and embellishing and finishing each piece in a clever way
Shows you how you can get the most out of your sewing machine while quilting, from working easily with different weights of batting and fabric, to great time-saving tricks, and adding a cornucopia of decorative stitching effects.
For those new to the wonderful world of quilting, you will find all the help and advice you need to get started. And if you are considering upgrading your machine, you'll also find a guide on which machine will best suit your quilting needs.
So whether you have just completed your first piece of patchwork and find quilting a daunting prospect, or have been quilting your own work for years, this book is packed with all the information you need to get the most out of machine quilting, inspiring new design ideas and finishes along the way.$34.99
Focusing on one skill at a time, The Complete Quilter teaches you everything you need to know about quilt-making. Discover how you can put quilt blocks together in a variety of layout designs to create wonderful modern projects using a range of delightful fabrics, patterns and colourways.
This all-in-one volume covers fabric selection, cutting, pressing, joining blocks, basting, hand and machine quilting, binding and making labels. With designs ranging from traditional to contemporary, you can easily work your way through the book building your skills on basic patchwork and appliqué as well as improvisational piecing.$39.99
Travel to an exotic land with timeless designs inspired by Turkish Iznik tiles from the Ottoman Empire.
Bursting with flora and organic symmetry, the book’s exquisite fusible appliqué projects will take your breath away. Your journey begins with the basics – choosing the right fabric, thread and needles for hand-stitched or machine appliqué.
Newer or busy quilters can start with table runners or bags and work their way up to Tamsin Harvey’s stunning master quilts. Location photography enhances 8 patterns that effortlessly go from ancient places to contemporary spaces.
- 8 striking fusible appliqué projects designed from ancient tile work are included
- Travel photography throughout the book shows real-life examples of the intricate tile inspiration
- Designs include large and small projects suited to quilters of all skill levels
Patchwork quilting meets the celestial sky and the result...clean, elegant style with a cosmic touch. Each of the 12 blocks (plus a bonus Orion block never released before) finishes at 20" square and brings the sparse beauty of the celestial into the home with minimalist patchwork.
Each block sparkles with an accurate representation of the stars found in the night sky. These clever but easy-to-piece astrology blocks allow for personalization galore. Perfect for welcoming baby quilts using a single block, combining two for a unique wedding quilt or take it beyond quilting and make up a fashionable custom kimono-style Hoshi jacket.$37.99
Contemporary Appliqué takes a fresh look at the world of appliqué and surface embellishment, showing both novices and professionals how to develop distinctive and individual designs, create exciting compositions and use unusual combinations of materials.
Moving from the historic use and cultural importance of appliqué to a range of exciting contemporary examples, the authors demonstrate the true scope, versatility and eternal relevance of appliqué techniques. They cover traditional variations – bonded appliqué, broderie Perse, cutaway appliqué and Mola work – and explain how you can push the boundaries of the traditional to create unique, personal pieces.
Full of practical advice for exploring new materials, equipment and techniques, and illustrated throughout with examples from renowned textile artists, this is the ideal resource for anyone wishing to explore the cutting-edge world of appliqué.
About the authors
Julia Triston is a textile artist/designer and lecturer. Based in her studio in Durham, Julia leads her own workshop programme, and runs City and Guilds and masterclasses through her company StitchBusiness.
Rachel Lombard is an award-winning textile artist and designer. Rachel runs her own business creating functional, tactile and decorative artworks. She also runs a programme of talks and workshops and has written for Stitch, Classic Stitches and Flair magazines.
Julia and Rachel are the co-authors of How to Be Creative in Textile Art.$39.99
When an avid gardener and seasoned quilt and stitchery designer combines her two passions, magic sprouts!
Using a mix of wool and cotton as her medium and flowers as her muse, Kathy Cardiff brings her blossoming backyard garden to life in projects that blend elegant beauty with a touch of primitive charm. Projects from pillows and sewing notions to table toppers and wall quilts culminate in a stunning nine-block sampler quilt bursting with blooms.
Add basic embroidery-stitch details to give each flower, leaf and vine Kathy's special brand of cottage style. Full-sized pullout patterns included.$39.99