Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
Enjoy Margaret Mew's reproductions of 19th century quilts from the original 13 British colonies in America with a few from Australia's colonial history.
The 17 projects include diagrams and templates with the styling of the book stunning, as always with Quiltmania. The text is in French and English with a pattern sheet included.$64.99
Transform a single fabric print with marvelous piecing magic! Best-selling author Maxine Rosenthal and Linda Bardes share stunning One Block Wonders quilts, with contributions from their popular Facebook design community.
Learn how to choose the right 60-degree ruler, pick the most useful fabric and change the look of a quilt with a different strip size. See what others have done – the beginning fabric and the ending projects – and courageously cut into that beautiful yardage! Sew simple pieced hexagon blocks with no "Y" seams, and enjoy the thrill of arranging and rearranging them on your design wall.
- Fantastic transformations! Turn one fabric print into a kaleidoscope quilt with this visual guide
- Learn to cut and piece identical triangles, arrange blocks on the design wall and design borders
- Admire 30 One Block Wonders, the original uncut fabric, and strip width needed to cut your own
Quilt the illusion of stained glass. This rich resource of approachable techniques from expert Allie Aller will let you jump right in with 6 stained glass style quilts, from dazzling wallhangings to throws and bedcovers – full-size pullout pattern included.
Outline pieced and appliquéd shapes 3 different ways – using trims, couching and bias fabric strips. Explore your own ideas for both simple and intricate stained glass designs, and set yourself up for sewing success with tips on organizing your sewing space, using a design wall and more.
- A contemporary spin on stained glass quilts! 6 projects from usable bed quilts to wall decor
- Learn 3 easy ways to add "leading" between the pieces – all without pesky bias tape
- Expand your quilting repertoire with clever techniques and an inspirational stained glass quilt galley
Savour the richness and beauty of wool appliqué – its texture, depth, colour and design. Well-known, award-winning folk artist Rebekah Smith will ignite your passion with her simple and elegant designs. Staying true to early decorative arts, the antique colour palette and nature-inspired designs translate seamlessly to many modern living spaces.
- Hand stitch 14 folk-art projects each with full-size patterns and step-by-step instructions
- Appliqué pillows, bed toppers and table runners from woven wools, felted wools and wool felt – upcycling at its finest!
Dawn Heese offers a soothing return to the past through 17 charming folk art-style quilts and small projects. A gentle and warm ambiance and easy appliqué; one imagines oneself in a country home, a bunch of wildflowers on the table and a welcoming chair where it’s good to settle in and quilt.
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$67.99
Judy Newman presents her quilting story with advice on choosing colours, fabrics and her favourite products.
The 18 projects, both large and small, feature detailed diagrams and templates. The photography and overall design of the book are stunning as one expects from this publisher. From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$64.99
The publisher gave 10 top modern designers this challenge: create a modern quilt inspired by a historical Kansas City Star block. The results are 10 beautiful quilts ranging from mostly traditional to very modern. Each is a true representation of its maker.
There's a project for every skill level, from easy to intermediate. As a bonus, the designers have offered their thoughts on what modern quilting is so you can see how they progressed from the traditional block to the modern quilt.
"Enjoy this book for the inspiration, traditional, contemporary, modern and otherwise, that the talented contributors have offered with generosity, a quality frequently found in quilters – and one with no expiration date." Mary Fons$34.99$19.99
Use the techniques in this book to create an endless array of adventurous quilt designs inspired by your favourite photos. Discover simple ways to transform your photography into collage inspired quilts.
You'll see your fabric stash in a whole new light! It will encourage you to look for texture, shape and colour when photographing and then how to select fabrics that work with your composition.$29.99$14.99
Joen Wolfrom's classic guide to creating with colour has been completely updated to make it easier than ever to enhance your creative work with the beauty of well-chosen colours.
Joen covers it all, from colour combining basics to how to use nature's tricks to create an illusion of depth, reflections, shadows and highlights. Learn the emotional meanings of colours, their physical effects on people and much more – all richly illustrated with photos of nature and of beautiful quilts.
- A feast for the eyes – over 100 new quilt photos show how to use colour effectively
- A must-have reference: includes swatches of tints, shades and tones for all 24 colours in the Ives Color Wheel
- A spark for your imagination: try out five different colour schemes for each of the 24 colours
Colorful Fabric Collage walks you through the techniques that renowned quilter Sue Bleiweiss uses to create her colourful, vibrant art quilts. You will learn easy fusing techniques that serve as the basis for her design, along with ideas for keeping and using a sketchbook, hand-dyeing fabric and adding further embellishments.
The techniques and 14 projects feature:
- Steps to successfully design, fuse and quilt based on Sue's signature style
- Inspiration to tap into your creativity to personalize each project with uniquely meaningful images
- Ways to draw project patterns and sketch your own quilt designs from scratch
- Easy-to-master techniques for sketching quilt designs, fusing layers of fabric into a collage and embellishing and finishing each piece in a clever way
Shows you how you can get the most out of your sewing machine while quilting, from working easily with different weights of batting and fabric, to great time-saving tricks, and adding a cornucopia of decorative stitching effects.
For those new to the wonderful world of quilting, you will find all the help and advice you need to get started. And if you are considering upgrading your machine, you'll also find a guide on which machine will best suit your quilting needs.
So whether you have just completed your first piece of patchwork and find quilting a daunting prospect, or have been quilting your own work for years, this book is packed with all the information you need to get the most out of machine quilting, inspiring new design ideas and finishes along the way.$34.99
Focusing on one skill at a time, The Complete Quilter teaches you everything you need to know about quilt-making. Discover how you can put quilt blocks together in a variety of layout designs to create wonderful modern projects using a range of delightful fabrics, patterns and colourways.
This all-in-one volume covers fabric selection, cutting, pressing, joining blocks, basting, hand and machine quilting, binding and making labels. With designs ranging from traditional to contemporary, you can easily work your way through the book building your skills on basic patchwork and appliqué as well as improvisational piecing.$39.99
Travel to an exotic land with timeless designs inspired by Turkish Iznik tiles from the Ottoman Empire.
Bursting with flora and organic symmetry, the book’s exquisite fusible appliqué projects will take your breath away. Your journey begins with the basics – choosing the right fabric, thread and needles for hand-stitched or machine appliqué.
Newer or busy quilters can start with table runners or bags and work their way up to Tamsin Harvey’s stunning master quilts. Location photography enhances 8 patterns that effortlessly go from ancient places to contemporary spaces.
- 8 striking fusible appliqué projects designed from ancient tile work are included
- Travel photography throughout the book shows real-life examples of the intricate tile inspiration
- Designs include large and small projects suited to quilters of all skill levels
Patchwork quilting meets the celestial sky and the result...clean, elegant style with a cosmic touch. Each of the 12 blocks (plus a bonus Orion block never released before) finishes at 20" square and brings the sparse beauty of the celestial into the home with minimalist patchwork.
Each block sparkles with an accurate representation of the stars found in the night sky. These clever but easy-to-piece astrology blocks allow for personalization galore. Perfect for welcoming baby quilts using a single block, combining two for a unique wedding quilt or take it beyond quilting and make up a fashionable custom kimono-style Hoshi jacket.$37.99
Once you pick up your needle and thread, you won't want to put them down! Enjoy stitching small and sweet quilted projects with embroidered accents, including a table topper, pincushion, tote bag, wall hangings and more.
- Create decor for your entire home with designs you can customize with your favourite colours and fabrics
- Add simple embroidery motifs including birds, flowers, hearts and houses for the whimsical look you love
- Clear how-to illustrations and beginner-friendly instructions are included
A little bit retro with a tasteful blend of trendy and traditional, these 13 designs from popular Moda Fabrics designer Bonnie Olaveson of Cotton Way are presented together for the first time in a curated collection of all-time favourites.
Styled photos showcase lap-sized to bed-sized projects featuring classic blocks in traditional settings. Fill your home with fresh and light patchwork that will never go out of style!$34.99
This collection of 15 beautiful quilted designs from top designer Lynette Anderson focuses on a 'country garden' theme.
The simple patchwork techniques Lynette uses are a great backdrop for the decorative appliqué and stitchery designs. The designs feature a wide range of ideas, from quick-to-stitch bags and cushion covers to larger wall hangings and a bed-sized quilt.
Beautiful fabrics, warm colours and a homely feel capture Lynette's heart-warming, quirky style.$34.99
With their hugely popular book Elegant Quilts, Country Charm, Leonie Bateman and Deirdre Bond-Abel won fans around the world. Now these talented Australian designers are back with stunning all-new designs featuring wool appliqué on cotton backgrounds.
- Experience the sumptuous pleasures of working with wool – including reverse appliqué – to create distinctive designs
- Select from 12 appealing patterns in a variety of sizes for all skill levels
- Make charming lap quilts, table runners, a pillow, framed appliqué, wall hanging and more
Jan has gathered all the quilts which have been significant in her life. She is recognised as the pioneer of the Folk Art style which she has been practising for 30 years.
Through her appliqué works, she likes to tell stories, a little something about her life, her surroundings and people around her. She creates quilts to warm her soul. Twenty of her most beautiful projects are featured here, complete with instructions and full size templates. From Quiltmania with text in both French and English.$59.99$19.99
Bring the country style into your home with this unique collection of patchwork quilts and gifts from quilt designer, Lynette Anderson.
This adorable collection of projects really captures the essence of country style. Choose from sewing baskets and scissor keeps through to wall quilts and full sized bed quilts, all made with Lynette's unique talent for colour and pattern.
The inspiration for her designs comes from nature, her garden and her animals, and all of these are reflected in this new collection of patterns. The designs feature lots of Lynette's trademark hand embroidery and stitching and make for great portable projects for stitching 'on the go'.
Also includes the basic techniques you will need to make and finish off the projects, from transferring designs onto fabric to binding a finished quilt.$39.99
Tara Lynn Darr shows you how to spice up your quilts with a cozy mix of wool hexagons, stars, blooms and more.
This charming collection of 11 small scrappy quilts is a great way to put your scrap basket of cotton and wool fabrics to use.$39.99$14.99
For nearly 30 years, The Crazy Quilt Handbook has been the essential guide to the fine art of crazy quilting. This newly updated edition brings you more of everything that makes crazy quilting wonderful: gorgeous stitches, embellishments, fabulous crazy quilt photos and updated beautiful projects to make for yourself.
Learn all the ways you can use crazy quilting to decorate clothing and accessories, beautify your home, share family memories and create heirlooms for future generations. This is the must-have resource for any crazy quilter, whether you are just a beginner or are an experienced stitcher looking to enhance your technique.
- The best-selling crazy quilting guide from world-renowned expert Judith Baker Montano, now updated with new stitches and techniques
- Includes 12 beautiful projects, a dictionary of 37 embroidery and silk ribbon stitches, and instructions for additional embellishments
- Benefit from Judith’s wealth of knowledge on colours, fabrics, piecing, embroidery, appliqué, embellishing, beading, photography, painting, dyeing and more
Everything you need to know to create your own beautiful heirloom crazy quilts, from Victorian quilts to modern artworks, including:
- 10 piecing methods
- 100+ embroidery stitches for ribbons, flosses, threads
- Techniques for dyeing, painting, stamping, printing, and embroidering on silk, cotton, rayon, wool, linen
- Directions for adding dimensional embellishments like buttons, beads, tassels, cording
- Tips for finishing your quilts
All skill levels. Fully illustrated step-by-step with colour diagrams and close-up photos.$42.99$39.99
Enjoy the freedom of free-form! In this follow-up to Create Your Own Hand-Printed Cloth, Rayna shares her "can't make a mistake" approach to designing quilts.
Learn how to trust your instincts so you can work more intuitively, and develop a new appreciation for the therapy of sewing without a plan. With these new skills, you can create new work from leftovers and scraps, dig into those favourite fabrics, and transform all those unfinished projects!
- Create one-of-a-kind quilts with free-form cutting and piecing
- Discover how to spontaneously combine your own original units and design as you go
- Blend hand-prints and hand-dyes with commercial fabrics to create truly original quilts
This book applies the author's no rules, no mistakes, no stress style to modern quilting.
Starting with strips and geometric shapes, you’ll cut and sew without patterns, required yardage or complicated diagrams. This freeing method lets you create modern quilts organically as you follow your instincts, ask "what if…?", and experiment with scale, colour, value and placement.
- Fresh explorations of shape, line and colour
- Paper piecing without lines and numbers!
- Ideas and examples to inspire your creativity
- Practical exercises to guide you
Australian artist Carolyn Konig is deeply in love with antique quilts and reinterprets the past with huge talent. Here are 15 sophisticated projects on which to feast your eyes and to contemplate with much patience.
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French and full-size templates and patterns.$64.99