Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
Jean Wells gives you the assignment of your life: put away your ruler and use your inner vision to design and piece spectacular, free-form quilts you'd never have guessed you could create.
In this updated edition, Jean's workshop assignments get your juices flowing, giving you challenges to expand your quilting horizons. Start by learning to see line and colour; study the nuts and bolts of design; develop your colour work and composition; and when you get stuck, there's expert advice on problem solving. You'll never see quiltmaking in the same way again.
- Creative exercises take your use of colour, line, design and piecing in dramatic new directions
- Use photographs and journals to find inspiration and develop your ideas with Jean’s updated, expert guidance
- Learn innovative finishing techniques to show your quilts at their best
- Classroom-proven techniques make the adventure easy for any quilter
Do you long to make beautiful quilts but have such a busy life you can never find the time? Imagine creating a quilt top – maybe even your first – in just a weekend!
This jelly roll quilt pattern collection includes 15 contemporary quilts, which are easy enough to piece in a weekend. Jelly rolls are a fantastic shortcut to patchwork and quilting: you can avoid the hours of cutting and preparation required for making a quilt and go straight to the fun bit – the sewing!
Pam and Nicky Lintott are jelly roll experts, having written numerous books and hundreds of patterns, and they have developed a brand new collection of quilt patterns for jelly roll lovers and quilters looking for a stunning quilt pattern that comes together in super-fast time.$36.99
After her first book, Bonnie’s Garden, Bonnie Sullivan is back with 17 charming projects inspired by nature and the comfort of home. The folk-art style of her creations is delightfully expressed through the materials that she uses to bring warmth to your surroundings!
From Quiltmania with text in English and French and includes 2 pattern inserts.$64.99
Di Ford is back and this time around, she is here to tell you the story of fabrics! Learn how Di chooses and uses fabrics in order to embellish her quilts. Enhance the character and grandeur of your quilts with the help of Di’s 14 new and magnificent quilts!
Fussy cutting, appliqué, English paper piecing and broderie perse (Persian embroidery), all of Di’s favourite techniques, are also explained in a handy technical chapter.
From Quiltmania, with text in both English and French.$69.99
A simple line has unlimited potential when a quilt is the canvas. Including straight lines, curves and pictorial shapes, Lines by Design Quilts demonstrates a clean, modern approach to quilt design, using the endless creativity of lines achieved through bias, machine appliqué and traditional piecing.
Debbie Grifka’s quilts are bold, statement pieces for your home, and among her fresh, new patterns are 12 bed-sized quilts, pillows and other items that will have you rethinking your room décor. Pictorial favourites include coffee cups and simplistic houses while more abstract designs borrow inspiration from classics like the Double Wedding Ring.
You’ll never look at a simple line quite the same again!$39.99$19.99
The Quilter's Companion 2018 Diary features a selection of images showcasing the very best quilts from Australian Quilters Companion magazine.
The handy week-to-view format offers 12 months of creativeness to every quilter as you pass through the year making notes and taking inspiration from the pages, colour choices, quilt layouts and quilting styles.$19.99
It's the iconic Log Cabin design, reimagined by today's top designers! This beloved celebration of home and hearth is always in style. Scrappy, traditional, or modern – you'll find a Log Cabin quilt with timeless appeal to suit every taste.
- Featuring 16 versatile and eye-catching Log Cabin designs, in sizes ranging from lap size to bed size
- Stock up on fat quarters and precut strips, or raid your stash – these designs are tailor-made for showcasing solids, brights, florals, tone on tones and more
- Put your own spin on tradition with fresh colour schemes and bold geometric themes created by your favourite designers
The timeless Nine Patch block has been reimagined by today's top designers. Discover what you can do with a classic block – this perennial favourite is more versatile than you've ever imagined! Scrappy, traditional or modern, you'll find a Nine Patch design that's perfect for your next project.
- Whether you love working with fat quarters, precut strips, or fabric from your stash, you'll find designs that are ideal showcases for your favourite solids, brights, florals, reproduction prints and more
- Featuring basic to intricate Nine Patch designs, in sizes ranging from lap sized to bed sized
- Put your own spin on tradition with fresh Nine Patch patterns created by favourite designers, including Lynne Hagmeier, Carrie Nelson, Sherri Falls, Kimberly Jolly and many more
Els Feteris is a very popular quilt designer in The Netherlands. This book includes 20 projects to decorate your house throughout the seasons. Her small quilts and easy accessories will add a little touch of country style to your home.
Features detailed illustrations, step-by-step instructions, full size pull out templates and beautiful colour photos of the finished projects. From Quiltmania with text in both French and English.$64.99$19.99
Learn about 20th-century art while creating your own modern design quilt! Kathreen Ricketson presents 12 quilts inspired by 20th-century art movements from Art Nouveau and Bauhaus to pop and punk.
To set the context, each project begins with an engaging overview of its historical period. The author then expertly guides you through the process of creating and personalizing your own innovative quilt using four aesthetic elements: line, colour, motif and text. Each of these chapters contains three projects and is generously outlined with illustrations and two alternate design options.
Includes expert information on colour, fabric selection, inspiration and mood boards. A comprehensive appendix and in-depth information on tools and finishing techniques round out this inspiring book.$29.99
Capture the beauty of nature by bringing a host of three-dimensional butterflies fluttering to life in these beautiful quilts and other projects. Whether you make them scrappy or carefully select fabrics to match your décor, the results will be delightful.
Mixed with tips and menus to attract real butterflies to your yard, this book is a butterfly journey to savor.$39.99
Do you ever find yourself time-poor when it comes to quilting? You‘d love to make gorgeous handmade quilts, but there just never seems to be enough hours in the day. Sound familiar? Australian quilter Siobhan Rogers heard this time and again from her quilting and students too. Wanting to answer the need for quilt patterns that have great style but don’t require a huge time commitment, she’s designed a stunning collection of quilts stitched with efficiency.
You’ll learn how quick cutting and simple piecing, mixed with just the right fabric choices, leads to quilts that look complex but are actually easy-to-assemble. The 18 unique quilts featured range in size from a wall hanging to king-sized quilt and are divided into chapters based on traditional block styles including squares, half-square triangle (HSTs), crosses, triangles, log cabin and curved blocks.
Each pattern for these striking modern quilts is fully illustrated with step-by-step instructions, making them perfect for beginner quilters. If you’re a more experienced quilter, you’ll appreciate the uniqueness of the designs and great tips and tricks shared throughout.$39.99
Natalia Bonner and Kathleen Whiting put an imaginative new twist on the classic log cabin block with bold colours and dramatic lines.
Packed with possibilities, this collection offers 20 quilts each in three sizes, with a bonus chapter on throw pillows and shams. Quick-sew techniques (no curves here!) make it easy to stitch big quilts.
Whether you’ve been quilting for months, years or decades, these fresh layouts with straightforward construction are sure to inspire!$34.99$24.99
Popular designers Kay Connors and Karen Earlywine present 10 fresh quilts that take their cues from 1930s classics. Inspired by antique quilts and patterns discovered in old newspapers, these projects are brimming with old-fashioned charm.
- See the original 1930s designs that sparked this collection of patterns written for today's techniques
- Be inspired to try everything from patchwork to appliqué, embroidery, making yo-yos, using rickrack and quilting by hand
- Use full-sized appliqué patterns – no enlargements needed – and find projects for all skill levels
Carol Doak is back with something new and exciting for paper piecers! Learn how the same rectangular unit can work in dramatically different ways in the blocks and borders of your quilt.
If you haven't tried paper-piecing yet, this book is for you, too. You'll discover how quickly and easily your quilt comes together with Carol's foundation piecing technique. She provides tips for tools and fabrics, plus plenty of inspiration.
- See how just one rectangle unit works beautifully in both blocks and borders with full-size paper-piecing patterns
- Try Carol's inspiring quilt projects to learn how to work with unit placement, how to paper-piece and how to choose your fabrics
- Get creative with your own unit combinations – patterns on the CD give you flexibility to change the size of your quilt, or design your own pattern
Vanessa Goertzen puts charm squares to the test with 18 projects using precut 5" x 5" squares. Start with fresh, simple blocks and build your skills to sew versatile snowballs, stars, flying geese and more. Using precuts from your stash or cutting your own charms from scraps or yardage, you’ll learn tips to take the guesswork out of piecing.
Quilters of all types will fall in love with these quick, clever and clean designs that go beyond the expected with irresistible blocks that bridge the gap between modern and traditional.$39.99
Emily Fisher is eager to meet the new employee at her father’s shop in Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania. But when Christopher Hostettler arrives, his cold demeanor freezes her attempts at building a friendship.
Longing for a fresh start, Christopher travels from Ohio to Bird-in-Hand. Christopher’s heart is still wounded from memories of home, and making new friends is the last thing on his mind – he knows the pain that comes with losing those you love. When Emily is kind to him, he tries to remain distant, but he soon finds himself stealing glances at her throughout the day.
When Christopher shares his tragic reasons for leaving home, Emily decides to make a quilt for him as a gesture of their friendship. The two are quickly falling in love when a family emergency calls Christopher back to Ohio without warning.
Emily finishes the quilt, in spite of her pain. But when Christopher receives it, will he have the courage to follow his heart?$24.99
Those magnificent block printed fabrics from Indonesia inspired European ladies for their needle work projects and quilts. This book tells you everything you need to know about the history of chintz, and it features stunning photos of the most beautiful quilts from the Poos collection, one of the largest privately held quilt and textile collections in the world.
What a treasure from Quiltmania with text in both English and French!$90.00
Gail Pan's whimsical, cheerful embroidery style is incredibly easy to re-create, whether you're an experienced stitcher or have never picked up a needle. Think you're too busy to make gifts for the holidays? Finishing is easy with projects that are so portable and quick you can stitch while travelling, socializing, or even as you wait for an appointment.
- Gail explains it all: which needles to use, how to choose thread, how to mark the designs on fabric, how to make each stitch and more
- Featuring festive designs to bedeck gift tags, bags, wall hangings, Christmas stockings, table runners, sewing accessories and much more
- Enjoy a satisfying and relaxing way to decorate your home for the holidays – or create one-of-a-kind gifts from the heart
If you liked the way Judy Sisneros' best-selling 9-Patch Pizzazz and Rectangle Pizzazz turned simple shapes into knockout quilts, you'll love the magic Judy works with pieced circles.
Learn the easy way to piece three different circle blocks, then mix and match them into curvaceous quilts full of movement and colour. Use Judy's no-waste method to turn the leftover fabric into bonus quilts with appliquéd circles or rounded borders.
- Full-size templates for 3 different pieced circle blocks
- Complete instructions for12 dramatic Circle Pizzazz quilts in a variety of sizes
- Design your own spectacular circle quilts with the Circle Pizzazz technique
Bea Oglesby is back with classic appliqué designs with a new twist – the flowers she loves stitched in vivid contemporary fabrics. All are worked in round shapes. Her inspiration was coats of arms from the days of our founding fathers, influenced by their European ancestors.
Inside you'll find 30 full-size designs in 8 inch circles. Instructions are included to make a spectacular quilt containing all 30 designs. There's advice from Bea about choosing colors, appliqué tips and more. Also included is a gallery of even more ideas, including enlarging the designs to make pillows and wallhangings.$34.99
Step back in time with 15 favourite patchwork-quilt patterns. Each pattern design features classic blocks evocative of the era, beautifully showcasing today's reproduction quilt fabrics.
- Wonderfully scrappy, small quilt patterns in sizes perfect for wall hangings and doll quilts
- Simple, step-by-step instructions with clear diagrams and pressing directions
- Value-packed collection with something for every skill level
In this follow-up to her best-selling Civil War Legacies, Carol Hopkins presents another outstanding collection of charming projects. Each engaging quilt is ideal for scraps and 1860s reproduction fabrics.
- Choose from 17 traditional patterns with something for every skill level
- Be inspired by Carol's "To Add Interest" tips regarding fabric selection
- Create quilts with timeless appeal – these small patterns make beautiful wall hangings, doll quilts and gifts
Featuring simple pieced blocks, these gorgeous quilts showcase Carol Hopkins' talent for selecting reproduction fabrics to create quilts reminiscent of antique treasures.
- Choose from 16 quilt patterns ideally suited for your smallest scraps
- Close-up photos bring the details into crystal-clear focus
- Enjoy patterns that are perfect for wall hangings, table toppers, doll beds and special gifts
The publisher gave 10 top modern designers this challenge: create a modern quilt inspired by a historical Kansas City Star block. The results are 10 beautiful quilts ranging from mostly traditional to very modern. Each is a true representation of its maker.
There's a project for every skill level, from easy to intermediate. As a bonus, the designers have offered their thoughts on what modern quilting is so you can see how they progressed from the traditional block to the modern quilt.
"Enjoy this book for the inspiration, traditional, contemporary, modern and otherwise, that the talented contributors have offered with generosity, a quality frequently found in quilters – and one with no expiration date." Mary Fons$34.99$19.99
Use the techniques in this book to create an endless array of adventurous quilt designs inspired by your favourite photos. Discover simple ways to transform your photography into collage inspired quilts.
You'll see your fabric stash in a whole new light! It will encourage you to look for texture, shape and colour when photographing and then how to select fabrics that work with your composition.$29.99$14.99