Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
Patricia Belyea offers improv instruction and shares her appealing Quilt Manifesto of five simple rules. While providing quilters with a starting point, the fifth rule of the Manifesto, "Break any rule you like," opens the door to creative freedom. (However, the solid instructions allow even the rule-breakers to create beautiful quilts on the first try).
Fourteen projects combine authentic Japanse yukata cottons and contemporary fabrics; each is finished with bold hand stitching. The quilt-making process is presented in detail, and each quilt shows the irresistible wabi-sabi influence of Japanese design. The sense of discovery in each project is like nothing else available.$39.99
Learn how to create realistic representations of your favourite animals and birds in stunning paper-pieced blocks. This unique collection of 12 contemporary quilt patterns includes a tiger, butterfly, swan, owl and polar bear.
All of the pictorial blocks can be made into quilts of various sizes and can be adapted through your choice of fabrics.
- Full-size pattern pieces are included on a handy CD
- Step-by-step instructions for foundation paper piecing
- Design your own unique colourways with the colouring in sheets
Di Ford is back and this time around, she is here to tell you the story of fabrics! Learn how Di chooses and uses fabrics in order to embellish her quilts. Enhance the character and grandeur of your quilts with the help of Di’s 14 new and magnificent quilts!
Fussy cutting, appliqué, English paper piecing and broderie perse (Persian embroidery), all of Di’s favourite techniques, are also explained in a handy technical chapter.
From Quiltmania, with text in both English and French.$69.99
Solids: they're versatile, they're affordable, and they've got the starring role in 13 vibrant quilts by top designers!
This collection of bright and simple-to-stitch designs with subtle modern style shines in colourful Kona Cottons. Re-creating each quilt is a snap, thanks to comprehensive colour keys and colour names included with each pattern.$32.99
Your childhood home, an old family caravan, the incredible skyscraper in your city – these are all wonderful subjects that deserve to be re-created in fabric.
Gloria Loughman teaches you to capture your favourite place in fusible appliqué. Her simple technique is easy to master, yet yields stunning results. Draw from one of three included projects, your own photo or memory and downloadable bonus patterns to assemble your own scenes that are captivating, vivid and full of character.
- Tell the story of a favourite place – Gloria shows you how to create buildings, boats, cars, doorways and more
- Quilters of all levels will love the comprehensive attention to fabric, colour and elements of design
- Practice a unique construction method for graphic quilts that resemble woodblock prints
Discover 26 Dresden Plate designs that shine with intricate style.
You can sew each stunning Dresden on a sewing machine or by hand using English paper piecing – Katja Marek shows you how, every step of the way. Plus, Katja's done all the math work for you. Just trace, cut and stitch for piecing that's a perfect fit!
Show off all your colourful Dresdens in six inspiring projects: a table runner, Christmas tree skirt, lap quilt, wall quilt, pillows and place mats.$39.99
Here in one value-packed volume, find stunning designs from Nickel Quilts and More Nickel Quilts by best-selling authors Pat Speth and Charlene Thode. Simplify the cutting process and showcase 5" squares – or scraps from your stash – in timeless quilts.
- Find instructions for each quilt in three different sizes – lap, twin, and queen – for triple the options
- Get directions for using 4" and 6" squares as well
- Achieve a scrappy look or customize quilts to your fabric collection; patterns feature batiks, reproduction fabrics and more
It's so easy to create quilts that repeat a single block – make just one and you'll have the confidence to fly through the rest of your quilt!
Choose from a whopping 57 quilts to piece one block at a time, or make blocks in multiples with quick chain-piecing methods. Star designers including Kim Diehl, Country Threads' Mary Etherington and Connie Tesene, Pat Sloan, Carrie Nelson and Jo Morton will help you along the way.
Pair your repeated blocks with plain squares, rotate blocks for a playful spin or simply line them up row by row. From fun make-in-a-weekend designs to stunning quilts to cherish and pass on, you'll find the perfect block to repeat in this colossal compilation of quilt patterns!$39.99
Put your fabric bits and pieces to spectacular use with this well-curated collection of quilts. Cut from your stash or play with precut strips and squares, fat quarters and fat eighths as you enjoy a tremendous variety of patterns from well-known designers.
- 77 delightful projects – including Civil War, 1930s, modern, traditional and country designs
- Selected patterns by Kim Brackett, Lynn Roddy Brown, Kay Connors and Karen Earlywine, Kim Diehl, Amy Ellis, Mary Etherington and Connie Tesene of Country Threads, Joanna Figueroa and many more
- Quilts range in size from 28" x 36" to 99" square and feature everything from simple patchwork to cotton and wool appliqué to strip piecing
Cut strips from your stash or gather your favourite precuts to make fabulous strip quilts that shine! Each pattern will inspire you with its remarkably versatile look and scrappy style, easily achieved with simple strips.
- 60 stunning strip quilts at a great value ? just pennies per pattern
- Choose from sizes ranging from wall hangings and baby quilts to bed-sized quilts, all by top designers
- Includes projects for beginners and experienced quilters in a variety of attractive patchwork styles
Long and skinny or short and wide, modern and minimal or traditional and scrappy, the 56 toppers in this book fit any table. This collection features patterns by today's favourite designers.
- Styled photography offers a colourful preview of how the quick-to-stitch projects look on tabletops and shows creative ways to include the designs in your home decor
- Seasonal and holiday-themed projects are ideal for gift giving and year-round stitching
- Double the variety with two comprehensive sections: traditional, long table runners and diversely shaped table toppers
Make it dramatic with 24 easy modern quilts from best-selling author Kim Schaefer. Bold black-and-white designs with bright accent colours bring a graphic modern style to your table, walls or sofa.
These quilts are easy to customize by using your own favourite colours as accents. The sewing is easy, too, with Kim's simple piecing techniques and fusible appliqué.
- 24 projects, some featuring appliqué in a variety of sizes
- Projects include placemats, table runners, wall hangings and lap quilts
- Black-and-white modern designs will always stay in style
This book is a block library that will be your go-to source for reference, inspiration and instruction. In one volume, you will find 201 classic blocks that you can use to hone your sewing skills, in block exchanges or to create wonderful block sampler quilts.
In this impressive collection, the author organizes the blocks in groups of 2 × 2, 3 × 3, 4 × 4, and 6 × 6 grids with instructions and math provided for 6-, 9- and 12-inch blocks.
With the exception of a few that were designed by the author, the block designs are all nearly 100 years old. Some designs are still sewn to this day, but many deserve new recognition and use by today's quilters.$39.99
This inspiring book chronicles a year-long 'virtual' quilting bee. The 12 chapters, one for each month, showcase the designs of today's leading modern quilters along with easy-to-follow guidelines so you can reinvent their work in your own signature style.
Best of all you'll have everything you need to start your own online quilting bee and enjoy collaborating with other fabric lovers around the world. The fundamental techniques are included, from fabric selection to quilt tops to binding.
- Confetti Block
- Specks of Hex
- Modern Dresden Plate
- Wonky Triangle Block and more
Introducing the classic Churn Dash block – like you've never seen it before! Whether you love scrappy, traditional or modern blocks, you'll find a colourful Churn Dash that's perfect for your next quilt project.
- Featuring basic to intricate Churn Dash designs, in quilts ranging from lap sized to bed sized
- Put your own spin on tradition with fresh Churn Dash patterns created by today's top quilt designers
- Showcase your favourite fabric in quilts tailor-made for solids, brights, florals and more
Make house blocks that feel right at home in quilts that fit your personal style! Go modern, delve into traditional styles and play with color variations.
Top-notch designers – including Carrie Nelson, Kimberly Jolly, Jeni Gaston, Jackie White, Corey Yoder and Natalie Barnes – have come together to present 14 all-new designs that display the variety and versatility of house blocks. You'll never get enough of these easy-to-customize classics that are perfect for your favourite fabrics.$34.99
It's the iconic Log Cabin design, reimagined by today's top designers! This beloved celebration of home and hearth is always in style. Scrappy, traditional, or modern – you'll find a Log Cabin quilt with timeless appeal to suit every taste.
- Featuring 16 versatile and eye-catching Log Cabin designs, in sizes ranging from lap size to bed size
- Stock up on fat quarters and precut strips, or raid your stash – these designs are tailor-made for showcasing solids, brights, florals, tone on tones and more
- Put your own spin on tradition with fresh colour schemes and bold geometric themes created by your favourite designers
The timeless Nine Patch block has been reimagined by today's top designers. Discover what you can do with a classic block – this perennial favourite is more versatile than you've ever imagined! Scrappy, traditional or modern, you'll find a Nine Patch design that's perfect for your next project.
- Whether you love working with fat quarters, precut strips, or fabric from your stash, you'll find designs that are ideal showcases for your favourite solids, brights, florals, reproduction prints and more
- Featuring basic to intricate Nine Patch designs, in sizes ranging from lap sized to bed sized
- Put your own spin on tradition with fresh Nine Patch patterns created by favourite designers, including Lynne Hagmeier, Carrie Nelson, Sherri Falls, Kimberly Jolly and many more
From an array of stellar designers come 16 sparkling projects featuring quilters' favourite Star blocks.
Clear instructions and diverse designs, ranging from modern and bright to traditional and scrappy, make this the perfect introduction to quilting with Star blocks for beginners and experienced stitchers alike.$39.99
Els Feteris is a very popular quilt designer in The Netherlands. This book includes 20 projects to decorate your house throughout the seasons. Her small quilts and easy accessories will add a little touch of country style to your home.
Features detailed illustrations, step-by-step instructions, full size pull out templates and beautiful colour photos of the finished projects. From Quiltmania with text in both French and English.$64.99$19.99
Achieve Bargello's glorious complexity through straightforward techniques.
Bargello master Ruth Ann Berry shares 16 all-new projects, from bed quilts to smaller ones. Weaving in more design elements and colorways, you'll be able to work 20 or even 40 fabrics into a single quilt! Track your progress with a design chart and learn expert tips for fabric cutting and strip piecing for quilts that dance as if they're set to music.
- Take the next steps in Bargello with 16 bed quilts, wallhangings and lap quilt projects
- Showcase dozens of favourite fabrics in a single quilt – a wonderful outlet for your fabric obsession!
- Grow your confidence with a best-selling author's simple construction methods for advanced designs
Learn about 20th-century art while creating your own modern design quilt! Kathreen Ricketson presents 12 quilts inspired by 20th-century art movements from Art Nouveau and Bauhaus to pop and punk.
To set the context, each project begins with an engaging overview of its historical period. The author then expertly guides you through the process of creating and personalizing your own innovative quilt using four aesthetic elements: line, colour, motif and text. Each of these chapters contains three projects and is generously outlined with illustrations and two alternate design options.
Includes expert information on colour, fabric selection, inspiration and mood boards. A comprehensive appendix and in-depth information on tools and finishing techniques round out this inspiring book.$29.99
Capture the beauty of nature by bringing a host of three-dimensional butterflies fluttering to life in these beautiful quilts and other projects. Whether you make them scrappy or carefully select fabrics to match your décor, the results will be delightful.
Mixed with tips and menus to attract real butterflies to your yard, this book is a butterfly journey to savor.$39.99
Do you ever find yourself time-poor when it comes to quilting? You‘d love to make gorgeous handmade quilts, but there just never seems to be enough hours in the day. Sound familiar? Australian quilter Siobhan Rogers heard this time and again from her quilting and students too. Wanting to answer the need for quilt patterns that have great style but don’t require a huge time commitment, she’s designed a stunning collection of quilts stitched with efficiency.
You’ll learn how quick cutting and simple piecing, mixed with just the right fabric choices, leads to quilts that look complex but are actually easy-to-assemble. The 18 unique quilts featured range in size from a wall hanging to king-sized quilt and are divided into chapters based on traditional block styles including squares, half-square triangle (HSTs), crosses, triangles, log cabin and curved blocks.
Each pattern for these striking modern quilts is fully illustrated with step-by-step instructions, making them perfect for beginner quilters. If you’re a more experienced quilter, you’ll appreciate the uniqueness of the designs and great tips and tricks shared throughout.$39.99
With so many great fabric collections available, it's easy to build up an irresistable collection of fat quarter fabric bundles in no time. Sure those bundles look beautiful all neatly folded and tied up with a bow, but wouldn't they look better pieced in a fresh modern quilt instead?
Australian designer Emma Jean Jansen will inspire you to grab that bundle and start cutting into it with 12 patterns created just to feature these delicious precuts. From simple patchwork piecing, to curves, to foundation piecing, there is something for every quilter in this book.
So go ahead, buy that bundle knowing that you have just the pattern to create a treasurered quilt from the latest fabrics.$39.99
Natalia Bonner and Kathleen Whiting put an imaginative new twist on the classic log cabin block with bold colours and dramatic lines.
Packed with possibilities, this collection offers 20 quilts each in three sizes, with a bonus chapter on throw pillows and shams. Quick-sew techniques (no curves here!) make it easy to stitch big quilts.
Whether you’ve been quilting for months, years or decades, these fresh layouts with straightforward construction are sure to inspire!$34.99$24.99