Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
Learn how to construct these cheerful little fabric shapes using the full-size templates provided, and then use them to create unique patchwork projects.
Step-by-step colour photographs illustrate various techniques, including English paper piecing, hand-pieced inset seams and special hexagon-specific quilting methods. Once these have been mastered, readers can try their hand at the collection of 12 adorable patchwork projects, including a floral-inspired mini quilt, retro tea cosy and zippered pencil case.
These hexie-based paper piecing projects work up quickly and easily, making them ideal hand-sewing projects for weekend crafting and quilting on the go.$28.99
Medallion quilts, known for detailed borders built around a central focal point, have seen a resurgence in the modern quilting movement. Savour the intricate piecing and sophisticated appliqué behind these all-new modern medallion quilts. Projects range from basic to complex, with each quilt as unique as its maker.
Stitch a ring of Flying Geese, learn how to resize borders and master useful techniques, such as sewing inset curves and paper piecing, so you can create your own unique modern masterpiece!
- 11 modern medallion quilts ranging from basic to advanced
- Swap centres and borders to create your own design
- Authors Janice Zeller Ryan and Beth Vassalo are joined by 9 other quilters who are creating waves in the modern quilt movement – Alexia Abegg, Karen Anderson-Abraham, Rebecca Bryan, Kerry Green, Erica Jackman, Christina Lane, Melissa Richie, Latifah Saafir and Amy Sinibaldi
After her first book, Bonnie’s Garden, Bonnie Sullivan is back with 17 charming projects inspired by nature and the comfort of home. The folk-art style of her creations is delightfully expressed through the materials that she uses to bring warmth to your surroundings!
From Quiltmania with text in English and French and includes 2 pattern inserts.$64.99
Give stashed fabrics new life with quilt patterns to make the most of your precut collection! The authors show you the basics of how to quilt from your stash, with a special focus on colour, print and scale.
The vibrant and versatile quilt patterns are tailored to precut fabric strips, squares and fat quarters. Learn how to add additional yardage, mix and match different fabric lines and design a stunning quilt from fabric you already have on hand.
- 13 fresh patterns to use your stash of precut squares, strips and fat quarters
- Alternate colourways and precut choices, such as using 3 fat quarters, 11 precut strips or 42 charm squares
- Tips for resizing quilts with multiple borders or border blocks
Become a skilled foundation piecer with New York Beauty blocks and arcs of Flying Geese that amaze! Carl Hentsch simplifies a technique loved by many with his straightforward approach to curved piecing, foundation piecing and simple machine appliqué.
Stitch your way through 31 architectural block patterns, ideal for advanced beginners and intermediate quilters. Then it's time to practice on 10 full-size quilts and 27 bonus pillow projects with lively colour combinations to provide movement and drama.
- Complex piecing made simple – expand your skill set and learn new tips and techniques for curved and foundation piecing
- Traditional blocks shine with the use of modern fabrics in rich colour stories, with fabric selections by Tula Pink
- Practice your newfound skills on a small project with stunning round pillows designed to accompany each quilt
Savour the richness and beauty of wool appliqué – its texture, depth, colour and design. Well-known, award-winning folk artist Rebekah Smith will ignite your passion with her simple and elegant designs. Staying true to early decorative arts, the antique colour palette and nature-inspired designs translate seamlessly to many modern living spaces.
- Hand stitch 14 folk-art projects each with full-size patterns and step-by-step instructions
- Appliqué pillows, bed toppers and table runners from woven wools, felted wools and wool felt – upcycling at its finest!
Designed in the lively Piece O' Cake style by Linda Jenkins and Becky Goldsmith, these 12 blocks are bursting with fresh colours and are easy enough to be fun for stitchers of all levels.
This pattern pack includes a 16-page instruction booklet and full-size patterns for 12 blocks, plus appliqué borders, that make a 52 x 65 inch quilt and instructions for a four-block 39 x 39 inch quilt. Or mix and match your favourite blocks to perk up quilts, pillows, tote bags or apparel.$24.99
Hand stitch an intricate garden of flowers with renowned Baltimore Album teacher Rita Verroca. Study Rita’s award-winning techniques and five exquisite Baltimore Album quilts that invite you to create your own masterpiece.
Each pattern comes with variations to mix and match, plus helpful colour and fabric suggestions. Connect to your quilting roots as you pay tribute to the time-honoured style that has fascinated two centuries of stitchers.
- 5 Baltimore Album-inspired quilts and variations
- A complete guide to hand appliqué, embroidery, inking, and trapunto
- Baltimore Album history, plus inspirational quilts, blocks and patterns
- Includes pattern pullouts
This remarkable book features 50 quilt blocks to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the US Civil War. Many of these blocks weren't designed until the 1930s, but Barbara Brackman selected each one for the unique symbolism its name lends to recounting stories of the war.
Dig into those prized reproduction fabrics and enjoy mixing and matching blocks to make your own tribute quilt. Images of sampler quilts are included for inspiration.
- Journey through this historic time in American history with Barbara Brackman, bestselling author and quilt historian
- Learn more about Civil War women through this special compilation of quilt block patterns, combined with period photos and first-person accounts
- Choose from a variety of pieced or appliquéd blocks, each shown in two colourways with instructions for assembling two sizes (8 and 12 inch)
Here's Bargello like you've never seen it before: stunning quilts full of free-form twists, turns and 3-D effects that look like op art paintings. The biggest surprise is how simple these quilts are to make!
Designer Ruth Ann Berry shows you how to use easy, straight-line strip piecing to create the illusion of curves in motion. The book contains 8 projects with complete instructions, plus directions on how to create your own designs.
Slice up your stash – novelty fabrics and even ugly fabrics look good when cut up for Bargello piecing. Large-scale quilts look spectacular on a bed or on the wall.$29.99
Step into a breathtaking world of colourful quilt designs!
International award-winning quilter Jacqueline de Jonge showcases 45 of her most striking designs. Full-page glossy photographs of each quilt are accompanied by additional detail images for close-up enjoyment of these beautiful quilts.
Included are selections from the Hoffman Challenge, her Rainbow Collection, Purple Collection, Rose Collection, and Traditional Collection.$59.99
Whether you like to make traditional or art quilts, this book will help you take your fabric embellishing to a whole new level.
Use beads and simple stitches to create magnificent texture, dimension and lifelike details on any quilt. Award-winning quilter Thom Atkins, teaches you everything you need to know about the best supplies and techniques to get breathtaking results, plus there's a bonus tutorial on how to create a beaded bezel.
Dozens of show-stopping images throughout the book illustrate the unlimited possibilities for designing your own spectacular beaded quilt.$39.99
Includes more than 50 quilting designs to create modern quilts with classic style! And Natalia's instructions are illustrated with detailed photos that make it much easier to get beautiful results on your home sewing machine.
Tips for choosing batting and thread, layering and basting, starting and stopping, and prepping your machine are included. After you've practiced, show off your new free-motion skills with six delightfully geometric quilt projects.
- Clear step-by-step photography takes the mystery out of free-motion quilting
- Learn how to quilt all-over, as background filler, on borders and on individual blocks
- Loops and swirls, feathers and flames, flowers and vines, pebbles and more!
Learn how to make beautiful quilts with this comprehensive guide to patchwork and quilting for beginners. Covers all aspects of quilting from piecing and appliqué to quilting and binding.
- Choose from 16 simple projects, each focusing on a different technique, from bags and cushions to table mats, wall hangings and bed quilts
- Clear illustrations and step-by-step instructions accompany each project, making them all suitable for even a complete novice
- Includes a quilting glossary explaining common quilting and sewing terms
Mixed Media goes graphic, minimal and sophisticated. Go beyond commercially available fabrics and get your hands dirty! With Krista's interactive project-based sewing workshops readers will stitch up 19 designer projects while experimenting with ways to stamp, print, paint, dye, and embellish fabrics to use for unique projects to gift and keep.
Beyond Cotton will take modern makers beyond the world of commercially available fabrics by encouraging readers to work with different, but readily available materials like leather, rivets, and industrial-grade felt.
- Create a Leather Cuff in three ways: stitched, carved or stamped.
- Learn to create design repeats.
- Set up a home printing table and experiment with dyeing fabrics.
Krista encourages beginners and more experienced alike to break out of using only someone else's fabrics and to take ownership of the look of their work from start to finish. This book is packed with skill-building techniques, new and fun ways to create your own fabric based on projects you will want to use every day and lots of inspiration!$39.99
In The Bible Sampler Quilt, Laurie Aaron Hird pairs scripture with beautifully pieced blocks representing significant people, themes and events from The Bible. Inside the book and accompanying CD, you'll find everything you need to complete each project, including:
- Detailed designs for 96 blocks with Bible verses in Chronological order
- Diagrams and PDF templates for each block
- Complete instructions for creating a sampler quilt in sizes ranging from lap to king
With this collection of delightful baby-quilt designs by top-selling authors, you'll always have the perfect baby gift. Designers include Amy Ellis, Evelyn Sloppy, Jenny Wilding Cardon, Joan Hanson, Karin Renaud, Karla Alexander, Mary Hickey, Nancy J. Martin, Nancy Mahoney, Retta Warehime, Sara Diepersloot, Sarah Bisel, Susan Dissmore, Teri Christopherson and Ursula Reikes.
- Get outstanding value with an abundance of adorable quilts for Baby – 87 in all
- Play with fun designs ranging from traditional to modern, ideal for baby showers, birthdays, holidays and more
- Discover quilts for every skill level; while most projects are patchwork, some also include charming appliqué
Explore the patchwork style and scrappy flair of 58 history-rich quilts inspired by patterns and fabrics from the 1800s.
Showcase the traditional colour combinations of reproduction fabrics and popular Civil War-era blocks that quilters love in patterns for mini-quilts, lap quilts and large bed-size projects. Use your favourite reproduction fabrics- – ncluding scraps and precuts--in quilts ranging from simple to intricate, all created by expert designers.$39.99
Your stash of fat quarters is ready to shine! Stitch your way through this carefully curated collection of fat-quarter quilts, ranging from wall hangings to large bed-sized projects.
Whether you want to whip up a quick-and-easy gift or you're in the mood for more of a challenge, you'll find dozens of dazzling patterns in a range of styles including traditional, scrappy, modern and more, all by today's top quilt designers.
Find stash-busting success with projects for beginning through advanced quilters.$39.99
Here in one value-packed volume, find stunning designs from Nickel Quilts and More Nickel Quilts by best-selling authors Pat Speth and Charlene Thode. Simplify the cutting process and showcase 5" squares – or scraps from your stash – in timeless quilts.
- Find instructions for each quilt in three different sizes – lap, twin, and queen – for triple the options
- Get directions for using 4" and 6" squares as well
- Achieve a scrappy look or customize quilts to your fabric collection; patterns feature batiks, reproduction fabrics and more
Put your fabric bits and pieces to spectacular use with this well-curated collection of quilts. Cut from your stash or play with precut strips and squares, fat quarters and fat eighths as you enjoy a tremendous variety of patterns from well-known designers.
- 77 delightful projects – including Civil War, 1930s, modern, traditional and country designs
- Selected patterns by Kim Brackett, Lynn Roddy Brown, Kay Connors and Karen Earlywine, Kim Diehl, Amy Ellis, Mary Etherington and Connie Tesene of Country Threads, Joanna Figueroa and many more
- Quilts range in size from 28" x 36" to 99" square and feature everything from simple patchwork to cotton and wool appliqué to strip piecing
Cut strips from your stash or gather your favourite precuts to make fabulous strip quilts that shine! Each pattern will inspire you with its remarkably versatile look and scrappy style, easily achieved with simple strips.
- 60 stunning strip quilts at a great value ? just pennies per pattern
- Choose from sizes ranging from wall hangings and baby quilts to bed-sized quilts, all by top designers
- Includes projects for beginners and experienced quilters in a variety of attractive patchwork styles
Long and skinny or short and wide, modern and minimal or traditional and scrappy, the 56 toppers in this book fit any table. This collection features patterns by today's favourite designers.
- Styled photography offers a colourful preview of how the quick-to-stitch projects look on tabletops and shows creative ways to include the designs in your home decor
- Seasonal and holiday-themed projects are ideal for gift giving and year-round stitching
- Double the variety with two comprehensive sections: traditional, long table runners and diversely shaped table toppers
This book is a block library that will be your go-to source for reference, inspiration and instruction. In one volume, you will find 201 classic blocks that you can use to hone your sewing skills, in block exchanges or to create wonderful block sampler quilts.
In this impressive collection, the author organizes the blocks in groups of 2 × 2, 3 × 3, 4 × 4, and 6 × 6 grids with instructions and math provided for 6-, 9- and 12-inch blocks.
With the exception of a few that were designed by the author, the block designs are all nearly 100 years old. Some designs are still sewn to this day, but many deserve new recognition and use by today's quilters.$39.99
Introducing the classic Churn Dash block – like you've never seen it before! Whether you love scrappy, traditional or modern blocks, you'll find a colorful Churn Dash that's perfect for your next quilt project.
- Featuring basic to intricate Churn Dash designs, in quilts ranging from lap sized to bed sized
- Put your own spin on tradition with fresh Churn Dash patterns created by today's top quilt designers
- Showcase your favourite fabric in quilts tailor-made for solids, brights, florals and more
Make house blocks that feel right at home in quilts that fit your personal style! Go modern, delve into traditional styles and play with color variations.
Top-notch designers – including Carrie Nelson, Kimberly Jolly, Jeni Gaston, Jackie White, Corey Yoder and Natalie Barnes – have come together to present 14 all-new designs that display the variety and versatility of house blocks. You'll never get enough of these easy-to-customize classics that are perfect for your favourite fabrics.$34.99