Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
Betsy Chutchian presents 21 everyday quilts in the colours of the seasons she experiences in her Texas home. She uses a range of small quilts, lap quilts and larger quilts for the bed to bring warmth to her varied collections of baskets, dishes, bowls, folk art and more.
The book features the fine colour photography showing how the author has used the quilts to decorate her home and of course there are full instructions and excellent line drawings to support creation of each project.
From Quiltmania with text in English and French.$64.99
Enjoy Margaret Mew's reproductions of 19th century quilts from the original 13 British colonies in America with a few from Australia's colonial history.
The 17 projects include diagrams and templates with the styling of the book stunning, as always with Quiltmania. The text is in French and English with a pattern sheet included.$64.99
Step up your piecing with a small-scale version of the cherished Dresden Plate. Fall in love with the classic quilt block all over again as you learn the secret to impeccable mini Dresdens in two sizes – 4½" and 9" finished.
Polish your piecing, pressing and appliqué with proven techniques and apply those skills to 13 projects from bed-size beauties to wallhangings and table toppers. A mix of easy and intermediate quilts includes a quilt-as-you-go project, tranquil yet engaging colour palettes and not-quite-traditional layouts with their own unique flair.
- Stitch tiny Dresden Plates with perfect points and petals
- Sew 13 unique quilt projects ranging from a table runner to a bed quilt
- Learn precision piecing and pressing tips anyone can use, plus blind-hem appliqué and practical quilt-as-you-go
Move beyond one-patch hexagon layouts and turn six-sided shapes into versatile quilt design elements! Sew single, triple, rosette, sprocket, and medallion blocks in a variety of sizes and pieced combinations for stunning visual effects.
Eleven hexagon quilts invite you to master the Y-seam by machine or hand, as you sew astounding quilts that beg the question, "How'd you do that?" Mix it up with the author’s design primer, which gives you the tools to create new hex effects and draft your own stunning hexie quilt.
- Hexa-yawn to hexagon – create a repertoire of hexagons as you piece unusual layouts and radial designs that defy tradition
- Design your own dynamic hexagon quilt from mix-and-match blocks using English paper piecing or your machine
- Make your own templates, buy acrylic templates, use precut papers or get shapes from Inklingo to print on your fabric
Watch How to Press Hexagons with Emily Breclaw.$39.99
Get comfortable with basic piecing and machine quilting – one block at a time!
Jera Brandvig is back, this time with a romantic take on her quilt-as-you-go designs. Try your hand at 9 projects, including an elegant sampler with 51 mix-and-match blocks. For quilt as-you-go enthusiasts, Jera shares 3 optional joining methods, including her new technique that makes your quilt reversible! No matter how busy your schedule, you can set attainable goals and practice quilting patchwork blocks in small, manageable pieces.
- Timeless, classic quilts for busy folks – easily finish quilts on your home machine with quilt-as-you-go
- Learn a new way to quilt-as-you-go that decorates the back of your quilt in pretty patchwork squares
- Mix and match 51 blocks to assemble a one-of-a-kind quilt
Learn how to create realistic representations of your favourite animals and birds in stunning paper-pieced blocks. This unique collection of 12 contemporary quilt patterns includes a tiger, butterfly, swan, owl and polar bear.
All of the pictorial blocks can be made into quilts of various sizes and can be adapted through your choice of fabrics.
- Full-size pattern pieces are included on a handy CD
- Step-by-step instructions for foundation paper piecing
- Design your own unique colourways with the colouring in sheets
Learn to use simple design principles to create unique improvisational quilts. Without using patterns, learn 5 easy piecing techniques to add to your improvisational toolbox – angled stripes, circles, blocks, curved strips and inset strips – and watch the art unfold before your eyes. Focus on colour combos and negative space to discover your personal style, and then add dazzling texture with free-motion stitching.
- Embrace your creative spirit – practice improv quilting using 5 easy blocks, circles and strip sets
- Design with negative space, colour recipes, and even irregular edges
- Finish quilts with free-motion texture and sleeve-free wall hanging techniques
Take the first steps to becoming an art quilter. Starting with an inspiration photo or painting, choose fabrics to create your own artistic log cabin quilts. Learn to navigate visual pathways and composition, applying easy techniques and experimenting with colour. Student work is presented, showing that anyone can create an art quilt!
- Create unique, abstract art quilts with world-renowned teacher and author Katie Pasquini Masopust
- Anyone can follow Katie’s simple, straightforward method to create freeform blocks from any image
- Turn your love of traditional log cabin blocks into an artful experience that you'll never forget
Quilt historian, Margaret Rolfe, tells the story of Australian life over two centuries through its heritage of quilts, from convict-made quilts through to quilts as a contemporary art form.
Australian quilts and Australian stories:
- The story of the Rajah quilt, made by convict women coming to Australia in 1841
- Glorious crazy patchwork creations made in the late 19th century
- Quilts made during World War I and II to raise money for the Red Cross
- Wagga rugs
- The quilts made in Changi by internees in Singapore in 1942
- The move from bed quilts to art quilts in the late 20th century
- And much, much more<
Grandmas, aunties and mums-to-be: if there's a baby on the way, you want fast, practical gifts, handmade with love. Be the hit of the baby shower with adorable projects designed by two popular authors and proud grandmothers. Cute, colourful and grandma approved!
- Choose from a great selection of clothing, accessories, bibs, quilts, receiving blankets and more
- Darling styles suited for boys and girls are sure to be loved by new mums
- "Baby Talk" tip boxes offer hints for successful stitching with knit fabric, ultra-plush fabric, ribbon, rickrack and more
Whip up a quilt today for a baby shower, birthday, holiday or just to bring a smile to Baby's face!
These 13 fabulously fast and delightfully simple quilts for little ones are bright, adorable and super easy to make. Share the love with cuddly traditional and modern patterns by today's top quilt designers.$29.99
Learn to easily and accurately baste shapes in place for needle-turn or machine appliqué – by working from the wrong side of the fabric. No marks on the front! This step-by-step book teaches the basics and beyond. Novice and experienced quilters alike will enjoy adding these appliqué techniques to their tool kits.
- Follow the easy-to-use lesson format with step-by-step photos; tips and hints appear throughout
- Master skill-building appliqué techniques, such as working with layered and overlapped appliqués
- Create seven unique projects, including table toppers, wall hangings and a beautiful banner
Designed in the lively Piece O' Cake style by Linda Jenkins and Becky Goldsmith, these 12 blocks are bursting with fresh colours and are easy enough to be fun for stitchers of all levels.
This pattern pack includes a 16-page instruction booklet and full-size patterns for 12 blocks, plus appliqué borders, that make a 52 x 65 inch quilt and instructions for a four-block 39 x 39 inch quilt. Or mix and match your favourite blocks to perk up quilts, pillows, tote bags or apparel.$24.99
This remarkable book features 50 quilt blocks to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the US Civil War. Many of these blocks weren't designed until the 1930s, but Barbara Brackman selected each one for the unique symbolism its name lends to recounting stories of the war.
Dig into those prized reproduction fabrics and enjoy mixing and matching blocks to make your own tribute quilt. Images of sampler quilts are included for inspiration.
- Journey through this historic time in American history with Barbara Brackman, bestselling author and quilt historian
- Learn more about Civil War women through this special compilation of quilt block patterns, combined with period photos and first-person accounts
- Choose from a variety of pieced or appliquéd blocks, each shown in two colourways with instructions for assembling two sizes (8 and 12 inch)
Here's Bargello like you've never seen it before: stunning quilts full of free-form twists, turns and 3-D effects that look like op art paintings. The biggest surprise is how simple these quilts are to make!
Designer Ruth Ann Berry shows you how to use easy, straight-line strip piecing to create the illusion of curves in motion. The book contains 8 projects with complete instructions, plus directions on how to create your own designs.
Slice up your stash – novelty fabrics and even ugly fabrics look good when cut up for Bargello piecing. Large-scale quilts look spectacular on a bed or on the wall.$29.99
If you like the colours and textures of Japanese taupe prints and wovens, you will love the delightful projects in Kylie Irvine's A Basketful of Taupe.
By using an artful array of colours and textures to create delightful baskets and flowers, she takes quilting to a whole new level. The basket quilt, pillow cover, pincushions, sewing case, notebook covers and other projects combine piecing, appliqué and embroidery with clear instructions and full-size patterns.$39.99
Step into a breathtaking world of colourful quilt designs!
International award-winning quilter Jacqueline de Jonge showcases 45 of her most striking designs. Full-page glossy photographs of each quilt are accompanied by additional detail images for close-up enjoyment of these beautiful quilts.
Included are selections from the Hoffman Challenge, her Rainbow Collection, Purple Collection, Rose Collection, and Traditional Collection.$59.99
Whether you like to make traditional or art quilts, this book will help you take your fabric embellishing to a whole new level.
Use beads and simple stitches to create magnificent texture, dimension and lifelike details on any quilt. Award-winning quilter Thom Atkins, teaches you everything you need to know about the best supplies and techniques to get breathtaking results, plus there's a bonus tutorial on how to create a beaded bezel.
Dozens of show-stopping images throughout the book illustrate the unlimited possibilities for designing your own spectacular beaded quilt.$39.99
Bedroom Style, Perfectly Pieced takes you through the design process of creating your very own bedding by answering the first, crucial question: What’s your style?
Choose from five leading style categories: Coastal, Farmhouse, Vintage, Global or Minimalist. These five main styles are thoroughly explored and feature two quilt designs that are shown in five different colourways – making 50 quilt design options.
With easy-to-follow instruction, attractive illustrations and bright, breezy photography throughout the book, you will learn how simple fabric choices can completely change the look of your design. Tricks for embellishing pre-purchased linens, personalizing pillowcases and creating a quilt to complement your design aesthetic will complete your bedroom re-design.$39.99
Includes more than 50 quilting designs to create modern quilts with classic style! And Natalia's instructions are illustrated with detailed photos that make it much easier to get beautiful results on your home sewing machine.
Tips for choosing batting and thread, layering and basting, starting and stopping, and prepping your machine are included. After you've practiced, show off your new free-motion skills with six delightfully geometric quilt projects.
- Clear step-by-step photography takes the mystery out of free-motion quilting
- Learn how to quilt all-over, as background filler, on borders and on individual blocks
- Loops and swirls, feathers and flames, flowers and vines, pebbles and more!
Learn how to make beautiful quilts with this comprehensive guide to patchwork and quilting for beginners. Covers all aspects of quilting from piecing and appliqué to quilting and binding.
- Choose from 16 simple projects, each focusing on a different technique, from bags and cushions to table mats, wall hangings and bed quilts
- Clear illustrations and step-by-step instructions accompany each project, making them all suitable for even a complete novice
- Includes a quilting glossary explaining common quilting and sewing terms
Mixed Media goes graphic, minimal and sophisticated. Go beyond commercially available fabrics and get your hands dirty! With Krista's interactive project-based sewing workshops readers will stitch up 19 designer projects while experimenting with ways to stamp, print, paint, dye, and embellish fabrics to use for unique projects to gift and keep.
Beyond Cotton will take modern makers beyond the world of commercially available fabrics by encouraging readers to work with different, but readily available materials like leather, rivets, and industrial-grade felt.
- Create a Leather Cuff in three ways: stitched, carved or stamped.
- Learn to create design repeats.
- Set up a home printing table and experiment with dyeing fabrics.
Krista encourages beginners and more experienced alike to break out of using only someone else's fabrics and to take ownership of the look of their work from start to finish. This book is packed with skill-building techniques, new and fun ways to create your own fabric based on projects you will want to use every day and lots of inspiration!$39.99
In The Bible Sampler Quilt, Laurie Aaron Hird pairs scripture with beautifully pieced blocks representing significant people, themes and events from The Bible. Inside the book and accompanying CD, you'll find everything you need to complete each project, including:
- Detailed designs for 96 blocks with Bible verses in Chronological order
- Diagrams and PDF templates for each block
- Complete instructions for creating a sampler quilt in sizes ranging from lap to king
With this collection of delightful baby-quilt designs by top-selling authors, you'll always have the perfect baby gift. Designers include Amy Ellis, Evelyn Sloppy, Jenny Wilding Cardon, Joan Hanson, Karin Renaud, Karla Alexander, Mary Hickey, Nancy J. Martin, Nancy Mahoney, Retta Warehime, Sara Diepersloot, Sarah Bisel, Susan Dissmore, Teri Christopherson and Ursula Reikes.
- Get outstanding value with an abundance of adorable quilts for Baby – 87 in all
- Play with fun designs ranging from traditional to modern, ideal for baby showers, birthdays, holidays and more
- Discover quilts for every skill level; while most projects are patchwork, some also include charming appliqué
Explore the patchwork style and scrappy flair of 58 history-rich quilts inspired by patterns and fabrics from the 1800s.
Showcase the traditional colour combinations of reproduction fabrics and popular Civil War-era blocks that quilters love in patterns for mini-quilts, lap quilts and large bed-size projects. Use your favourite reproduction fabrics- – ncluding scraps and precuts--in quilts ranging from simple to intricate, all created by expert designers.$39.99
Your stash of fat quarters is ready to shine! Stitch your way through this carefully curated collection of fat-quarter quilts, ranging from wall hangings to large bed-sized projects.
Whether you want to whip up a quick-and-easy gift or you're in the mood for more of a challenge, you'll find dozens of dazzling patterns in a range of styles including traditional, scrappy, modern and more, all by today's top quilt designers.
Find stash-busting success with projects for beginning through advanced quilters.$39.99