Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
The author presents a treasure trove of 12 seasonal wool appliqué projects, with 3 for each season.
Her Americana aesthetic, although very true to early decorative arts, would look great in many homes today. Presented in a lovely antique colour palette, these simple and elegant projects include a journal cover, pillow cover, wallhangings, storage boxes, table rug and more, perfect for your home or to give as gifts.
- Beginner-friendly projects with full-size patterns, ranging from a pillow and blanket carrier to a tea cozy and table runner
- Includes a beautiful styled photo of each project, as well as detail shots to show the gorgeous stitching
- Includes a basics chapter and a chapter on the collection, storage and use of wool
- Historically inspired designs are perfect for traditional quilters, textile artisans and rug hookers
Judy Newman presents her quilting story with advice on choosing colours, fabrics and her favourite products.
The 18 projects, both large and small, feature detailed diagrams and templates. The photography and overall design of the book are stunning as one expects from this publisher. From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$64.99
After the international success of her first two books, Willyne Hammerstein is back in this third volume of Millefiori with awealth of 18 new quilts.
In this work, she continues to explore the richness of the Passacaglia design in brilliant compositions that are skillfully coloured; her imagination has no bounds!$64.99
Behind the Max & Louise Pattern Co. are two friends, Lisa Kerr and Louisa Lott, who share a joint passion for quilts. Located near Melbourne, Lisa and Louisa are proud to announce the launch of their first book featuring 17 inspirational projects for quilters who love both piecing and appliqué!
Together they create, adapt and reproduce, with outstanding talent, what they love most – antique and traditional quilts.
From Quiltmania with text in English and French with two full-size pattern templates.$64.99
Explore new options in improvisational piecing and empower your creativity! Cut and combine solid-colour fabrics to create your own "prints" – stripes, polka dots, chevrons, plaids and more.
Forget the rules (and even your ruler) as you piece colourful solids into compelling quilt designs. Use colour, pattern and repetition to develop your personal design aesthetic as you stitch freely to create unique quilts that pack a punch!
- Piece new prints and patterns out of solid fabrics and use them to create original, dynamic quilt designs
- Empower your creativity – work freely without preconceived ideas
- Join author Maria Shell in a step-by-step journey of artistic discovery with this fascinating visual guide
Patricia Belyea offers improv instruction and shares her appealing Quilt Manifesto of five simple rules. While providing quilters with a starting point, the fifth rule of the Manifesto, "Break any rule you like," opens the door to creative freedom. (However, the solid instructions allow even the rule-breakers to create beautiful quilts on the first try).
Fourteen projects combine authentic Japanse yukata cottons and contemporary fabrics; each is finished with bold hand stitching. The quilt-making process is presented in detail, and each quilt shows the irresistible wabi-sabi influence of Japanese design. The sense of discovery in each project is like nothing else available.$39.99
How big is a twin-size quilt? How many squares can you cut from the amount of fabric you have? What's the best way to sew a mitred border? How do you make bias binding? The All-in-One Quilter's Reference Tool gives you fast answers to these and dozens of other quilting questions.
Now this indispensable guide has been updated to include more answers, more techniques, more quilt settings and more blocks than ever before.
- Expanded edition includes 20 additional pages with new quilt blocks, cutting charts, piecing techniques and more
- The go-to guide for quilters all around the world
- From top quilters Alex Anderson, Harriet Hargrave, Sharyn Craig and Liz Aneloski
Quilt the illusion of stained glass. This rich resource of approachable techniques from expert Allie Aller will let you jump right in with 6 stained glass style quilts, from dazzling wallhangings to throws and bedcovers – full-size pullout pattern included.
Outline pieced and appliquéd shapes 3 different ways – using trims, couching and bias fabric strips. Explore your own ideas for both simple and intricate stained glass designs, and set yourself up for sewing success with tips on organizing your sewing space, using a design wall and more.
- A contemporary spin on stained glass quilts! 6 projects from usable bed quilts to wall decor
- Learn 3 easy ways to add "leading" between the pieces – all without pesky bias tape
- Expand your quilting repertoire with clever techniques and an inspirational stained glass quilt galley
Turn a single block into eight distinctive quilts – the magic is in the fabric! Barbara Cline takes an easy-to-sew triangle block and then shows countless intricate designs for you to experiment with colour and value.
Stunning triangle-star quilts are perfect for the adventurous beginner looking to try something new or the intermediate quilters who wants to put their skills to use in a creative way. Design your own quilt top using a provided line drawing that you can colour in and then bring to life with creative fabric selection.
- 1 easy-to-sew block makes 8 stunning projects
- Change the fabric placement for unique designs
- Colour in a provided line drawing to design your own triangle-star quilts
Delve into a beautifully photographed exploration of the spectacular colours, rich textures and treasured traditions of 65 of America's most remarkable quilts, each hand-selected from the permanent collection at the International Quilt Study Center & Museum, the largest public collection of quilts in the world.
Each quilt is a precious historic heirloom in its own right, highlighted in stunning, colour-saturated photos. You'll be inspired by the beauty, workmanship and artistry of America's quiltmaking tradition in this lush coffee-table book for all lovers of quilts and textiles.$49.99
Sumptuous, informative and engaging, this is the ultimate book on American quilts as art.
Written by one of the leading scholars in the field, it's a fascinating chronicle of the growth and evolution of an art form with a rich heritage. Not only does author Robert Shaw provide an insightful look at quilting aesthetics, he places the craft in its historical, cultural and socioeconomic context, providing a visually lush journey through American history.
This opulent volume starts with old-world traditions and goes up to the present, examining key moments that had an impact on quilting culture. More than 350 stunning images capture a rich variety of work created by people from all walks of life. This edition contains several new quilts, created since the book's original publication.$44.99
Enjoy the bold design and glowing colours of these 82 Amish quilts from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania which have been exhibited worldwide in major museums and venues.
This volume gives new insight into their beauty, using over 350 detailed colour photographs and discussions of Amish culture, quilting patterns, materials and construction. Readers may be inspired to create their own versions and will understand more about how quilting evolved in the Lancaster Amish community and enjoy the full-page views of each beautiful quilt.$59.99
You'll love how Cheri Leffler combines simple piecing with whimsical appliqué to make adorable quilts for little boys and girls. Each delightful design comes to life with animal appliqués that portray a sense of innocence and friendliness.
- Use needle-turn or fusible appliqué to create owls, giraffes, penguins, frogs, foxes and more – full-sized patterns and large appliqué shapes make it all so easy
- Enjoy a varied selection of 10 irresistible quilt patterns for everyone from confident beginners to seasoned quilters
- Make fun use of colour and create endearing gifts that will bring joy now and as a child grows
Bring your quilts to life with animal appliqués that frisk and frolic on backgrounds of vibrant patchwork. Quilters everywhere fell in love with the adorable patterns in Cheri Leffler's Animal Parade. Now she's back with even more delightful designs for the young – and young at heart.
- 10 charming baby quilts combine simple piecing with appliqué
- Step-by-step instructions for needle-turn and fusible-web appliqué – full-sized patterns are included
- Create lovable gifts featuring turtles, rabbits, pandas, elephants, raccoons and more
Learn how to create realistic representations of your favourite animals and birds in stunning paper-pieced blocks. This unique collection of 12 contemporary quilt patterns includes a tiger, butterfly, swan, owl and polar bear.
All of the pictorial blocks can be made into quilts of various sizes and can be adapted through your choice of fabrics.
- Full-size pattern pieces are included on a handy CD
- Step-by-step instructions for foundation paper piecing
- Design your own unique colourways with the colouring in sheets
Celebrate any important event in life, from an anniversary or a birthday to a retirement or a memorial, with these 40 beautiful blocks and 7 customizable settings.
Created to commemorate the author’s 40th anniversary of falling in love with her husband (and making her first quilt for him!), you can read the story behind each block, then make it personal by stitching in your own memories and using blank blocks for personal dedications. Piece and appliqué the stunning sampler quilt, or pick and choose your blocks and setting to suit your own needs and taste.
- Many blocks for lots of options – stitch the sampler or make a quilt with repeated or selected blocks
- Easy-to-follow instructions from an experienced quilter, writer and teacher
- Adjust the blocks and settings to make your quilt unique
Bestselling authors Pam & Nicky Lintott bring you 12 new Jelly Roll quilt designs, based on the best antique quilts from Pam's stunning collection. Each clever quilt pattern uses just one Jelly Roll and has been designed to make the best use of your fabric whilst preserving the vintage style of each antique patchwork quilt.
- Clear, detailed, step-by-step instructions with full-colour diagrams
- Beautiful photographs of both the antique quilt and the modern version
Visit Can Do Blog to see inside the book.$35.99
Multitask like never before with this revolutionary, all-in-one approach to appliqué and quilting! It all starts with your quilt sandwich, as you apply gorgeous appliqué shapes and free-motion quilting in one step. Learn how wash-away sheets, secondary quilting designs, couching and bobbinwork can take your designs to the next level. Appli-quilting is fast, effective and versatile – a game changer for owners of both longarm and domestic sewing machines.
- A true time-saver – multitask when you appliqué and free-motion quilt at the same time
- Quilt stylish, creative showpieces with raw-edge, fusible and turned-edge appliqué
- Embellish with couching, bobbinwork and innovative motifs on your longarm or domestic machine
Appliqué quilts take on a modern twist with authors Eva Birch, Nancy Gano and Jodi Robinson.
- Complete with modern and fresh patterns
- Bold and graphic appliqué shapes are perfect for beginner quilters
- Directions are clear and easy to follow
- Quilts can be made using a variety of different appliqué methods
Appliqué Mastery gives readers an exclusive peek into the studio of award-winning appliqué master Philippa Naylor. She takes quilters on a step-by-step journey through her process of designing a competition appliquéd quilt from start to finish.
- A wide range of appliqué techniques are explored – from the very easy to the very involved – including turned edge, satin stitch, blanket stitch, free-motion raw edge and bias strip
- Includes a quilt pattern with detailed instructions so quilters can put the appliqué techniques into practice immediately
- Stunning full-colour photographs will awe and inspire
Secrets for quilting success are presented through a variety of techniques, exercises and insider tips to inspire novice quilters and experienced textile artists to make genuine works of art.
This guide explores texture, shape, line, colour and value with examples and hands-on exercises. Essential principles such as focal point, balance, repetition, scale and space are paired with creativity exercise as well as inspiring artwork from the author and guests.
This reference clarifies quilting goals and takes the craft to the next level through design and composition.$37.99$17.99
Make your machine quilting the best it can be with designs and tips from award- winning quilter Judy Woodworth. Make your quilting more impactful by using the basic elements of art (line, texture, value, shape and colour).
- Features a large array of freemotion and original quilt design patterns
- Explore different quilting composition strategies including: radial, circular, grid and spiral
- Learn how Judy focuses on colour theory and the use of both positive and negative space to make her quilts extraordinary
Make treasured art quilts from bits of cloth, stitched motifs and painted details. This visual, step-by-step guide will help you unlock your own artistic vision as you quilt in a series, finish small art pieces and incorporate meaningful symbols into your work.
- Tap into your creative muse! Art quilt inspiration, techniques and checklists presented in 8 easy-to-use design guides
- Uncomplicated, visual guide to fabric collage with practice pieces to help you gain expertise
- Tell your own artistic story with colours, materials and beloved symbols
Transform the places you love – and places you've always imagined or wanted to see – into hypnotic art quilts.
Award-winning artist Valerie Goodwin shows you how to make quilted maps with easy fabric collage techniques and innovative designs based on maps of your favourite places. Fully illustrated guide features a large photo gallery of quilt maps by Valerie and her students.
- Find inspiration in real and imaginary sites, in old maps, in poetry and in memories
- Transform a place's essential lines and shapes into quilt designs
- Make luminous textures with fabric layering, paints, stamps, stencils, drawing and appliqué
These 300 gorgeous art quilts, bursting with colour and excitement, capture the work of 124 major quilt artists from 18 countries. Participating artists come from Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, the UK and across the US.
In-depth interviews with 29 of the artists help us understand their inspirations, their techniques and their challenges. Learn about how Denyse Schmidt makes her colour choices. Find out how Fumiko Nakayama first discovered the mola techniques for which she is famous. Discover why Sue Benner is drawn to plaids and why Deidre Adams likes old books.$52.99
The Midwest of the US has always had strong textile communities. Now the 20 artists featured in this beautifully illustrated book have created a new community of original art forms that bring new life to an old tradition. For example:
- Sally Bowker paints her fabrics with acrylics, creating marks and meaning with layers of hand stitching and appliquéd bits of fabric
- Shin-hee Chin uses sketch-like stitching for its ability to penetrate fabric and create depth
- Diane Núñez incorporates metals and mesh into her quilts connect to her days as a jeweller as well as to the topography of her home state of Michigan
- Pat Owoc prepares papers with disperse dyes, then selects from as many as 150 to create her fabric
- Martha Warshaw photographs old fabrics, tweaks the images in Photoshop and prints the results for her pieces, which connect her to the legacy of quilting in past generations