Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
West Ireland, with its streets of colourful painted houses and ancient stone walls, provides the perfect inspiration for the richly varied quilt designs in Kaffe Fassett's Quilts in Ireland.
Renowned for his use of colour, Kaffe creates colour palettes of brilliant hot pinks and reds; deep blues, purples, and greens; and soft blues and whites from his journey to Ireland, showcased in striking quilt designs that are as unpredictable as the landscape of Ireland.
With contributions from designers Liza Prior-Lucy and Philip Jacobs, this book will inspire quilters of all skill levels. Each quilt pattern includes complete instructions, with colour diagrams, plus a section on patchwork and quilting basics.$54.99$49.99
After her first book, Bonnie’s Garden, Bonnie Sullivan is back with 17 charming projects inspired by nature and the comfort of home. The folk-art style of her creations is delightfully expressed through the materials that she uses to bring warmth to your surroundings!
From Quiltmania with text in English and French and includes 2 pattern inserts.$64.99
Get comfortable with basic piecing and machine quilting – one block at a time!
Jera Brandvig is back, this time with a romantic take on her quilt-as-you-go designs. Try your hand at 9 projects, including an elegant sampler with 51 mix-and-match blocks. For quilt as-you-go enthusiasts, Jera shares 3 optional joining methods, including her new technique that makes your quilt reversible! No matter how busy your schedule, you can set attainable goals and practice quilting patchwork blocks in small, manageable pieces.
- Timeless, classic quilts for busy folks – easily finish quilts on your home machine with quilt-as-you-go
- Learn a new way to quilt-as-you-go that decorates the back of your quilt in pretty patchwork squares
- Mix and match 51 blocks to assemble a one-of-a-kind quilt
Continue the lovely promenade begun in the garden with 16 Dutch quilts old and new compiled for us by An Moonen and Petra Prins, this time in the beautiful Middachten Castle. The projects are reproductions of vintage quilts and are all explained and photographed in an exceptional setting!
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$64.99
Step up your piecing with a small-scale version of the cherished Dresden Plate. Fall in love with the classic quilt block all over again as you learn the secret to impeccable mini Dresdens in two sizes – 4½" and 9" finished.
Polish your piecing, pressing and appliqué with proven techniques and apply those skills to 13 projects from bed-size beauties to wallhangings and table toppers. A mix of easy and intermediate quilts includes a quilt-as-you-go project, tranquil yet engaging colour palettes and not-quite-traditional layouts with their own unique flair.
- Stitch tiny Dresden Plates with perfect points and petals
- Sew 13 unique quilt projects ranging from a table runner to a bed quilt
- Learn precision piecing and pressing tips anyone can use, plus blind-hem appliqué and practical quilt-as-you-go
After the international success of her first two books, Willyne Hammerstein is back in this third volume of Millefiori with awealth of 18 new quilts.
In this work, she continues to explore the richness of the Passacaglia design in brilliant compositions that are skillfully coloured; her imagination has no bounds!$64.99
Turn a single block into eight distinctive quilts – the magic is in the fabric! Barbara Cline takes an easy-to-sew triangle block and then shows countless intricate designs for you to experiment with colour and value.
Stunning triangle-star quilts are perfect for the adventurous beginner looking to try something new or the intermediate quilters who wants to put their skills to use in a creative way. Design your own quilt top using a provided line drawing that you can colour in and then bring to life with creative fabric selection.
- 1 easy-to-sew block makes 8 stunning projects
- Change the fabric placement for unique designs
- Colour in a provided line drawing to design your own triangle-star quilts
Delve into a beautifully photographed exploration of the spectacular colours, rich textures and treasured traditions of 65 of America's most remarkable quilts, each hand-selected from the permanent collection at the International Quilt Study Center & Museum, the largest public collection of quilts in the world.
Each quilt is a precious historic heirloom in its own right, highlighted in stunning, colour-saturated photos. You'll be inspired by the beauty, workmanship and artistry of America's quiltmaking tradition in this lush coffee-table book for all lovers of quilts and textiles.$49.99
Enjoy the bold design and glowing colours of these 82 Amish quilts from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania which have been exhibited worldwide in major museums and venues.
This volume gives new insight into their beauty, using over 350 detailed colour photographs and discussions of Amish culture, quilting patterns, materials and construction. Readers may be inspired to create their own versions and will understand more about how quilting evolved in the Lancaster Amish community and enjoy the full-page views of each beautiful quilt.$59.99
The joys of Amish quilting continue with 21 Amish-inspired quilts designed by some of today's leading quilters. Some of these quilts use traditional 19th-century patterns. Others offer distinctly modern takes on Amish ideas. They all celebrate the simplicity, the bold geometry and the rich dark fabrics that give Amish quilts their ageless appeal.
- 21 Amish-inspired quilts with complete instructions
- Photo gallery with 17 more quilts
- Easy-to-make patterns show off today's beautiful solid fabrics
You'll love how Cheri Leffler combines simple piecing with whimsical appliqué to make adorable quilts for little boys and girls. Each delightful design comes to life with animal appliqués that portray a sense of innocence and friendliness.
- Use needle-turn or fusible appliqué to create owls, giraffes, penguins, frogs, foxes and more – full-sized patterns and large appliqué shapes make it all so easy
- Enjoy a varied selection of 10 irresistible quilt patterns for everyone from confident beginners to seasoned quilters
- Make fun use of colour and create endearing gifts that will bring joy now and as a child grows
Bring your quilts to life with animal appliqués that frisk and frolic on backgrounds of vibrant patchwork. Quilters everywhere fell in love with the adorable patterns in Cheri Leffler's Animal Parade. Now she's back with even more delightful designs for the young – and young at heart.
- 10 charming baby quilts combine simple piecing with appliqué
- Step-by-step instructions for needle-turn and fusible-web appliqué – full-sized patterns are included
- Create lovable gifts featuring turtles, rabbits, pandas, elephants, raccoons and more
Bestselling authors Pam & Nicky Lintott bring you 12 new Jelly Roll quilt designs, based on the best antique quilts from Pam's stunning collection. Each clever quilt pattern uses just one Jelly Roll and has been designed to make the best use of your fabric whilst preserving the vintage style of each antique patchwork quilt.
- Clear, detailed, step-by-step instructions with full-colour diagrams
- Beautiful photographs of both the antique quilt and the modern version
Visit Can Do Blog to see inside the book.$35.99
Multitask like never before with this revolutionary, all-in-one approach to appliqué and quilting! It all starts with your quilt sandwich, as you apply gorgeous appliqué shapes and free-motion quilting in one step. Learn how wash-away sheets, secondary quilting designs, couching and bobbinwork can take your designs to the next level. Appli-quilting is fast, effective and versatile – a game changer for owners of both longarm and domestic sewing machines.
- A true time-saver – multitask when you appliqué and free-motion quilt at the same time
- Quilt stylish, creative showpieces with raw-edge, fusible and turned-edge appliqué
- Embellish with couching, bobbinwork and innovative motifs on your longarm or domestic machine
Appliqué Mastery gives readers an exclusive peek into the studio of award-winning appliqué master Philippa Naylor. She takes quilters on a step-by-step journey through her process of designing a competition appliquéd quilt from start to finish.
- A wide range of appliqué techniques are explored – from the very easy to the very involved – including turned edge, satin stitch, blanket stitch, free-motion raw edge and bias strip
- Includes a quilt pattern with detailed instructions so quilters can put the appliqué techniques into practice immediately
- Stunning full-colour photographs will awe and inspire
Secrets for quilting success are presented through a variety of techniques, exercises and insider tips to inspire novice quilters and experienced textile artists to make genuine works of art.
This guide explores texture, shape, line, colour and value with examples and hands-on exercises. Essential principles such as focal point, balance, repetition, scale and space are paired with creativity exercise as well as inspiring artwork from the author and guests.
This reference clarifies quilting goals and takes the craft to the next level through design and composition.$37.99$17.99
Make treasured art quilts from bits of cloth, stitched motifs and painted details. This visual, step-by-step guide will help you unlock your own artistic vision as you quilt in a series, finish small art pieces and incorporate meaningful symbols into your work.
- Tap into your creative muse! Art quilt inspiration, techniques and checklists presented in 8 easy-to-use design guides
- Uncomplicated, visual guide to fabric collage with practice pieces to help you gain expertise
- Tell your own artistic story with colours, materials and beloved symbols
Transform the places you love – and places you've always imagined or wanted to see – into hypnotic art quilts.
Award-winning artist Valerie Goodwin shows you how to make quilted maps with easy fabric collage techniques and innovative designs based on maps of your favourite places. Fully illustrated guide features a large photo gallery of quilt maps by Valerie and her students.
- Find inspiration in real and imaginary sites, in old maps, in poetry and in memories
- Transform a place's essential lines and shapes into quilt designs
- Make luminous textures with fabric layering, paints, stamps, stencils, drawing and appliqué
These 300 gorgeous art quilts, bursting with colour and excitement, capture the work of 124 major quilt artists from 18 countries. Participating artists come from Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, the UK and across the US.
In-depth interviews with 29 of the artists help us understand their inspirations, their techniques and their challenges. Learn about how Denyse Schmidt makes her colour choices. Find out how Fumiko Nakayama first discovered the mola techniques for which she is famous. Discover why Sue Benner is drawn to plaids and why Deidre Adams likes old books.$52.99
Learn to use simple design principles to create unique improvisational quilts. Without using patterns, learn 5 easy piecing techniques to add to your improvisational toolbox – angled stripes, circles, blocks, curved strips and inset strips – and watch the art unfold before your eyes. Focus on colour combos and negative space to discover your personal style, and then add dazzling texture with free-motion stitching.
- Embrace your creative spirit – practice improv quilting using 5 easy blocks, circles and strip sets
- Design with negative space, colour recipes, and even irregular edges
- Finish quilts with free-motion texture and sleeve-free wall hanging techniques
Take the first steps to becoming an art quilter. Starting with an inspiration photo or painting, choose fabrics to create your own artistic log cabin quilts. Learn to navigate visual pathways and composition, applying easy techniques and experimenting with colour. Student work is presented, showing that anyone can create an art quilt!
- Create unique, abstract art quilts with world-renowned teacher and author Katie Pasquini Masopust
- Anyone can follow Katie’s simple, straightforward method to create freeform blocks from any image
- Turn your love of traditional log cabin blocks into an artful experience that you'll never forget
Quilt historian, Margaret Rolfe, tells the story of Australian life over two centuries through its heritage of quilts, from convict-made quilts through to quilts as a contemporary art form.
Australian quilts and Australian stories:
- The story of the Rajah quilt, made by convict women coming to Australia in 1841
- Glorious crazy patchwork creations made in the late 19th century
- Quilts made during World War I and II to raise money for the Red Cross
- Wagga rugs
- The quilts made in Changi by internees in Singapore in 1942
- The move from bed quilts to art quilts in the late 20th century
- And much, much more<
Grandmas, aunties and mums-to-be: if there's a baby on the way, you want fast, practical gifts, handmade with love. Be the hit of the baby shower with adorable projects designed by two popular authors and proud grandmothers. Cute, colourful and grandma approved!
- Choose from a great selection of clothing, accessories, bibs, quilts, receiving blankets and more
- Darling styles suited for boys and girls are sure to be loved by new mums
- "Baby Talk" tip boxes offer hints for successful stitching with knit fabric, ultra-plush fabric, ribbon, rickrack and more
Whip up a quilt today for a baby shower, birthday, holiday or just to bring a smile to Baby's face!
These 13 fabulously fast and delightfully simple quilts for little ones are bright, adorable and super easy to make. Share the love with cuddly traditional and modern patterns by today's top quilt designers.$29.99
Learn to easily and accurately baste shapes in place for needle-turn or machine appliqué – by working from the wrong side of the fabric. No marks on the front! This step-by-step book teaches the basics and beyond. Novice and experienced quilters alike will enjoy adding these appliqué techniques to their tool kits.
- Follow the easy-to-use lesson format with step-by-step photos; tips and hints appear throughout
- Master skill-building appliqué techniques, such as working with layered and overlapped appliqués
- Create seven unique projects, including table toppers, wall hangings and a beautiful banner
Designed in the lively Piece O' Cake style by Linda Jenkins and Becky Goldsmith, these 12 blocks are bursting with fresh colours and are easy enough to be fun for stitchers of all levels.
This pattern pack includes a 16-page instruction booklet and full-size patterns for 12 blocks, plus appliqué borders, that make a 52 x 65 inch quilt and instructions for a four-block 39 x 39 inch quilt. Or mix and match your favourite blocks to perk up quilts, pillows, tote bags or apparel.$24.99