Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
Give stashed fabrics new life with quilt patterns to make the most of your precut collection! The authors show you the basics of how to quilt from your stash, with a special focus on colour, print and scale.
The vibrant and versatile quilt patterns are tailored to precut fabric strips, squares and fat quarters. Learn how to add additional yardage, mix and match different fabric lines and design a stunning quilt from fabric you already have on hand.
- 13 fresh patterns to use your stash of precut squares, strips and fat quarters
- Alternate colourways and precut choices, such as using 3 fat quarters, 11 precut strips or 42 charm squares
- Tips for resizing quilts with multiple borders or border blocks
Sew a slice of life with 12 traditional quilts that prove to be more than just patterns but storytellers.
- Each quilt is inspired by life events that everyone can appreciate
- Bold blocks shimmer in their use of colour, value and repetition for handsome quilts with personality to boot
- Repeated blocks will stretch your skills beyond the basics, inviting you to perfect techniques such as strip piecing, half-square triangles, working with templates, paper piecing, machine appliqué and sewing set-in seams and curves in a way that's easy to understand
Today's most talented modern quilters share their block designs, with new ways to think about the classics, plus some brand new. These fresh and fun 12" blocks are beginner-friendly with complete cutting instructions. This book is great for block swaps; combine blocks to make your own impressive modern quilt.
- 99 blocks from today's most popular modern quilters
- Try something entirely new or put a twist on traditional blocks
- Choose from pieced, appliquéd and embroidered designs
- Perfect for using your novelty, designer and solid fabrics
Discover how to machine quilt creative designs the easy way. More than 60 striking quilting motifs are at your fingertips in this comprehensive visual guide to free-motion machine quilting. Lori Kennedy takes you through each step of the process with easy-to-understand instructions and a multitude of clear, close-up photos so you won't miss a stitch.
- Learn to quilt dozens of unique and clever motifs, including flowers, animals, zigzags, swirls and twirls, and much more
- Give your next project that irresistible pop of texture you've been looking for – many of these designs aren't found in other quilting books
- Convenient lay-flat spiral binding makes the instructions easy to follow while you quilt
West Ireland, with its streets of colourful painted houses and ancient stone walls, provides the perfect inspiration for the richly varied quilt designs in Kaffe Fassett's Quilts in Ireland.
Renowned for his use of colour, Kaffe creates colour palettes of brilliant hot pinks and reds; deep blues, purples, and greens; and soft blues and whites from his journey to Ireland, showcased in striking quilt designs that are as unpredictable as the landscape of Ireland.
With contributions from designers Liza Prior-Lucy and Philip Jacobs, this book will inspire quilters of all skill levels. Each quilt pattern includes complete instructions, with colour diagrams, plus a section on patchwork and quilting basics.$49.99
Grow your cache of quilter's tricks with 5 awe-inspiring patchwork techniques that are easier than they appear.
Learn a new piecing trick in just 15 minutes or less, and watch your skills soar to a whole new level. Say "presto!" with partial seams for both quilts and blocks, Y-seams, mini improv piecing and free-form curves.
Victoria Findlay Wolfe shares 17 projects, including the eye-fooling Herringbone and LeMoyne Star quilt patterns, plus full-size templates and 6 quilt colouring pages to help you work your own quilt magic.
- A magic wand for quilters! Take the fear out of tricky piecing with simple, step-by-step instructions
- Piece 17 projects for intermediate-level quilters, including 12 quilts and 5 smaller pillows and mini quilts
- Stitch new takes on well-known techniques with award-winning quilter Victoria Findlay Wolfe
Allie shows you how to make crazy quilting even more contemporary with an array of easy-to-master techniques. You'll learn how to combine traditional methods with modern fabric tricks. The photo gallery reveals just how fun crazy quilting can be – and anyone can do it.
- Jump into 7 projects that include small quilts, a needle cushion and a softie
- Learn four different methods
- Try techniques such as stencilling, photo transfer and Angelina fibre effects
- Embellish with 3-D ribbon flowers, embroidery, beads and painted lace
Quilt the illusion of stained glass. This rich resource of approachable techniques from expert Allie Aller will let you jump right in with 6 stained glass style quilts, from dazzling wallhangings to throws and bedcovers – full-size pullout pattern included.
Outline pieced and appliquéd shapes 3 different ways – using trims, couching and bias fabric strips. Explore your own ideas for both simple and intricate stained glass designs, and set yourself up for sewing success with tips on organizing your sewing space, using a design wall and more.
- A contemporary spin on stained glass quilts! 6 projects from usable bed quilts to wall decor
- Learn 3 easy ways to add "leading" between the pieces – all without pesky bias tape
- Expand your quilting repertoire with clever techniques and an inspirational stained glass quilt galley
Turn a single block into eight distinctive quilts – the magic is in the fabric! Barbara Cline takes an easy-to-sew triangle block and then shows countless intricate designs for you to experiment with colour and value.
Stunning triangle-star quilts are perfect for the adventurous beginner looking to try something new or the intermediate quilters who wants to put their skills to use in a creative way. Design your own quilt top using a provided line drawing that you can colour in and then bring to life with creative fabric selection.
- 1 easy-to-sew block makes 8 stunning projects
- Change the fabric placement for unique designs
- Colour in a provided line drawing to design your own triangle-star quilts
Celebrate the pairing of timeless quilt designs and classic American homes. Designer Ellen Murphy has created unique quilts inspired by the colours and shapes of American houses, from farmhouses to brownstones. These quilts will beautify any décor.
- 9 traditional, pieced quilts come in a variety of sizes and colour palettes
- Classic-styled quilts are perfect for building your sewing skills: begin with simple squares and work your way up to more challenging diamond patterns
- Full of inspirational photos featuring iconic American homes
Enjoy the bold design and glowing colours of these 82 Amish quilts from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania which have been exhibited worldwide in major museums and venues.
This volume gives new insight into their beauty, using over 350 detailed colour photographs and discussions of Amish culture, quilting patterns, materials and construction. Readers may be inspired to create their own versions and will understand more about how quilting evolved in the Lancaster Amish community and enjoy the full-page views of each beautiful quilt.$59.99
The joys of Amish quilting continue with 21 Amish-inspired quilts designed by some of today's leading quilters. Some of these quilts use traditional 19th-century patterns. Others offer distinctly modern takes on Amish ideas. They all celebrate the simplicity, the bold geometry and the rich dark fabrics that give Amish quilts their ageless appeal.
- 21 Amish-inspired quilts with complete instructions
- Photo gallery with 17 more quilts
- Easy-to-make patterns show off today's beautiful solid fabrics
You'll love how Cheri Leffler combines simple piecing with whimsical appliqué to make adorable quilts for little boys and girls. Each delightful design comes to life with animal appliqués that portray a sense of innocence and friendliness.
- Use needle-turn or fusible appliqué to create owls, giraffes, penguins, frogs, foxes and more – full-sized patterns and large appliqué shapes make it all so easy
- Enjoy a varied selection of 10 irresistible quilt patterns for everyone from confident beginners to seasoned quilters
- Make fun use of colour and create endearing gifts that will bring joy now and as a child grows
Bring your quilts to life with animal appliqués that frisk and frolic on backgrounds of vibrant patchwork. Quilters everywhere fell in love with the adorable patterns in Cheri Leffler's Animal Parade. Now she's back with even more delightful designs for the young – and young at heart.
- 10 charming baby quilts combine simple piecing with appliqué
- Step-by-step instructions for needle-turn and fusible-web appliqué – full-sized patterns are included
- Create lovable gifts featuring turtles, rabbits, pandas, elephants, raccoons and more
Bestselling authors Pam & Nicky Lintott bring you 12 new Jelly Roll quilt designs, based on the best antique quilts from Pam's stunning collection. Each clever quilt pattern uses just one Jelly Roll and has been designed to make the best use of your fabric whilst preserving the vintage style of each antique patchwork quilt.
- Clear, detailed, step-by-step instructions with full-colour diagrams
- Beautiful photographs of both the antique quilt and the modern version
Visit Can Do Blog to see inside the book.$35.99
Multitask like never before with this revolutionary, all-in-one approach to appliqué and quilting! It all starts with your quilt sandwich, as you apply gorgeous appliqué shapes and free-motion quilting in one step. Learn how wash-away sheets, secondary quilting designs, couching and bobbinwork can take your designs to the next level. Appli-quilting is fast, effective and versatile – a game changer for owners of both longarm and domestic sewing machines.
- A true time-saver – multitask when you appliqué and free-motion quilt at the same time
- Quilt stylish, creative showpieces with raw-edge, fusible and turned-edge appliqué
- Embellish with couching, bobbinwork and innovative motifs on your longarm or domestic machine
Appliqué Mastery gives readers an exclusive peek into the studio of award-winning appliqué master Philippa Naylor. She takes quilters on a step-by-step journey through her process of designing a competition appliquéd quilt from start to finish.
- A wide range of appliqué techniques are explored – from the very easy to the very involved – including turned edge, satin stitch, blanket stitch, free-motion raw edge and bias strip
- Includes a quilt pattern with detailed instructions so quilters can put the appliqué techniques into practice immediately
- Stunning full-colour photographs will awe and inspire
Make treasured art quilts from bits of cloth, stitched motifs and painted details. This visual, step-by-step guide will help you unlock your own artistic vision as you quilt in a series, finish small art pieces and incorporate meaningful symbols into your work.
- Tap into your creative muse! Art quilt inspiration, techniques and checklists presented in 8 easy-to-use design guides
- Uncomplicated, visual guide to fabric collage with practice pieces to help you gain expertise
- Tell your own artistic story with colours, materials and beloved symbols
Transform the places you love – and places you've always imagined or wanted to see – into hypnotic art quilts.
Award-winning artist Valerie Goodwin shows you how to make quilted maps with easy fabric collage techniques and innovative designs based on maps of your favourite places. Fully illustrated guide features a large photo gallery of quilt maps by Valerie and her students.
- Find inspiration in real and imaginary sites, in old maps, in poetry and in memories
- Transform a place's essential lines and shapes into quilt designs
- Make luminous textures with fabric layering, paints, stamps, stencils, drawing and appliqué
These 300 gorgeous art quilts, bursting with colour and excitement, capture the work of 124 major quilt artists from 18 countries. Participating artists come from Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, the UK and across the US.
In-depth interviews with 29 of the artists help us understand their inspirations, their techniques and their challenges. Learn about how Denyse Schmidt makes her colour choices. Find out how Fumiko Nakayama first discovered the mola techniques for which she is famous. Discover why Sue Benner is drawn to plaids and why Deidre Adams likes old books.$52.99
Learn to use simple design principles to create unique improvisational quilts. Without using patterns, learn 5 easy piecing techniques to add to your improvisational toolbox – angled stripes, circles, blocks, curved strips and inset strips – and watch the art unfold before your eyes. Focus on colour combos and negative space to discover your personal style, and then add dazzling texture with free-motion stitching.
- Embrace your creative spirit – practice improv quilting using 5 easy blocks, circles and strip sets
- Design with negative space, colour recipes, and even irregular edges
- Finish quilts with free-motion texture and sleeve-free wall hanging techniques
Take the first steps to becoming an art quilter. Starting with an inspiration photo or painting, choose fabrics to create your own artistic log cabin quilts. Learn to navigate visual pathways and composition, applying easy techniques and experimenting with colour. Student work is presented, showing that anyone can create an art quilt!
- Create unique, abstract art quilts with world-renowned teacher and author Katie Pasquini Masopust
- Anyone can follow Katie’s simple, straightforward method to create freeform blocks from any image
- Turn your love of traditional log cabin blocks into an artful experience that you'll never forget
Quilt historian, Margaret Rolfe, tells the story of Australian life over two centuries through its heritage of quilts, from convict-made quilts through to quilts as a contemporary art form.
Australian quilts and Australian stories:
- The story of the Rajah quilt, made by convict women coming to Australia in 1841
- Glorious crazy patchwork creations made in the late 19th century
- Quilts made during World War I and II to raise money for the Red Cross
- Wagga rugs
- The quilts made in Changi by internees in Singapore in 1942
- The move from bed quilts to art quilts in the late 20th century
- And much, much more<
Grandmas, aunties and mums-to-be: if there's a baby on the way, you want fast, practical gifts, handmade with love. Be the hit of the baby shower with adorable projects designed by two popular authors and proud grandmothers. Cute, colourful and grandma approved!
- Choose from a great selection of clothing, accessories, bibs, quilts, receiving blankets and more
- Darling styles suited for boys and girls are sure to be loved by new mums
- "Baby Talk" tip boxes offer hints for successful stitching with knit fabric, ultra-plush fabric, ribbon, rickrack and more
Whip up a quilt today for a baby shower, birthday, holiday or just to bring a smile to Baby's face!
These 13 fabulously fast and delightfully simple quilts for little ones are bright, adorable and super easy to make. Share the love with cuddly traditional and modern patterns by today's top quilt designers.$29.99
Learn to easily and accurately baste shapes in place for needle-turn or machine appliqué – by working from the wrong side of the fabric. No marks on the front! This step-by-step book teaches the basics and beyond. Novice and experienced quilters alike will enjoy adding these appliqué techniques to their tool kits.
- Follow the easy-to-use lesson format with step-by-step photos; tips and hints appear throughout
- Master skill-building appliqué techniques, such as working with layered and overlapped appliqués
- Create seven unique projects, including table toppers, wall hangings and a beautiful banner