Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
Patricia Belyea offers improv instruction and shares her appealing Quilt Manifesto of five simple rules. While providing quilters with a starting point, the fifth rule of the Manifesto, "Break any rule you like," opens the door to creative freedom. (However, the solid instructions allow even the rule-breakers to create beautiful quilts on the first try).
Fourteen projects combine authentic Japanse yukata cottons and contemporary fabrics; each is finished with bold hand stitching. The quilt-making process is presented in detail, and each quilt shows the irresistible wabi-sabi influence of Japanese design. The sense of discovery in each project is like nothing else available.$39.99
Explore new options in improvisational piecing and empower your creativity! Cut and combine solid-colour fabrics to create your own "prints" – stripes, polka dots, chevrons, plaids and more.
Forget the rules (and even your ruler) as you piece colourful solids into compelling quilt designs. Use colour, pattern and repetition to develop your personal design aesthetic as you stitch freely to create unique quilts that pack a punch!
- Piece new prints and patterns out of solid fabrics and use them to create original, dynamic quilt designs
- Empower your creativity – work freely without preconceived ideas
- Join author Maria Shell in a step-by-step journey of artistic discovery with this fascinating visual guide
Your childhood home, an old family caravan, the incredible skyscraper in your city – these are all wonderful subjects that deserve to be re-created in fabric.
Gloria Loughman teaches you to capture your favourite place in fusible appliqué. Her simple technique is easy to master, yet yields stunning results. Draw from one of three included projects, your own photo or memory and downloadable bonus patterns to assemble your own scenes that are captivating, vivid and full of character.
- Tell the story of a favourite place – Gloria shows you how to create buildings, boats, cars, doorways and more
- Quilters of all levels will love the comprehensive attention to fabric, colour and elements of design
- Practice a unique construction method for graphic quilts that resemble woodblock prints
Turn the corner to free-motion success with a meandering makeover! Best-selling author Angela Walters shows you that free-motion quilting doesn't have to be scary – with a couple designs in your pocket, you can finish almost any quilt on your home machine and enjoy the process.
Practice 8 meandering stitches for beginners, plus creative variations on each, with step-by-step visuals and quilted samples. Start your free-motion journey on the right foot with proven techniques to help you disguise mistakes and transition between designs with ease.
- Thrive at free-motion quilting with popular teacher and best-selling author Angela Walters
- Just starting out? Angela includes the basics of quilting and supplies
- Troubleshoot mistakes, master the meander and practice fluid movement between quilt stitches
Mary and Joe Koval, antique dealers and collectors of vintage quilts, offer us in this moving book their story of love for quilts that has endured nearly 40 years.
A book in two voices, lavishly illustrated with a hundred photos, it is a treasury of inspiration, full of warmth and stories lived!
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$80.00
Quilting rulers have long been used by longarm quilters to make uniform shapes while quilting, but now, with the advent of the domestic ruler foot, domestic quilters can join in on the fun, too!
Amanda Murphy starts by showing you how to use 6 basic shapes of machine quilting rulers to lay a foundation for your quilting, then moves on to teaching you 59 different designs. Finish up by following Amanda’s suggestions for filling in the background space with free-motion quilting.
- Basic introduction to rulerwork, with tons of helpful information on using quilting rulers and ruler feet
- Stitch 59 designs using 6 basic quilting ruler shapes, including straight lines, circles and squiggles
- Combine rulerwork and free-motion quilting with Amanda’s innovative suggestions
Folk-art style is always in season, and this collection of charming projects will dress up your home all year long. Stitch your way through four collections of projects that display the distinctive colours and rich textures of each season. Cozy photos will inspire you to decorate your home with cheerful and inviting decor accents you'll be proud to display.
- Stitch inspiring designs, including quilts, wall hangings, pillows, framed pictures, banners and more
- Freshen the look of your home and create seasonable gifts for holidays and special occasions year-round
- Create gorgeous effects with three enjoyable techniques: easy wool appliqué, hand embroidery and patchwork
Explore a life lived in stitches and witness the aesthetic evolution of a treasured quiltmaking artist.
Revel in this dazzling self-curated collection of Gwen Marston's more than five-decade passion for quiltmaking. From her early pieces inspired by Mennonite quilts to her innovative work with appliqué and texture to her exploration of modern design, Gwen's aesthetic has remained a glorious marriage of freedom in construction, expert use of unexpected colours and negative space and happy design surprises.
See more than 80 quilts representing more than 40 years and a variety styles – all united by a common thread: the artist Gwen Marston.$49.99$27.99
Mix simple piecing with fabric from 10-inch-square Layer Cakes plus your favourite background fabrics and you've got a quilt you'll be proud of.
Transform your Layer Cake collection into intricate-looking designs that are a breeze to stitch – Peta Peace's tips will help you start and finish like a pro. You'll love the cheerful colours and innovative designs in these 14 all-new patterns.$34.99
A Simple Life is a peek back into the 1950s through entries made in the little red diary of Hazel Ilene Hyde, a teenager living the simple life of a farm girl during the era of roller rinks and poodle skirts.
Her daily trials and adventures inspired author Shelly Pagliai to create 7 projects with retro country flair. These simple, charming projects with step-by-step instructions are great for appliqué beginners.$39.99
A comprehensive guide to many of the techniques, tools and tricks involved in creating beautiful quilting projects for any occasion.
Clear, photographic step-by-step guides describe how to prepare a template, how to bead or embellish, all the way through to the final binding stages.
Look inside the book.$34.99
Quilting school is now in session, and it’s never been so fun to hit the books! Take the challenge to move beyond basic patchwork:
- 12 skill-building lessons, including paper piecing, strip piecing, bargello, set-in seams, appliqué, crazy quilting and more
- Learn the tools, terms and techniques that are the bedrocks of quiltmaking
- Use your new skills to finish a gorgeous final exam, an ABC-themed sampler quilt, plus a handful of quick-finish projects
- Expand your craft with this complete quilting course in one book
Join Trisch as she explores six aspects of negative space design: gradation, reversal, interruption, negative form, ghosting and piecing.
Each category features three original quilt designs. Trisch takes you through her thought process and guides you to accentuate the negative in your next quilt.$34.99
Don’t crumble under the weight of your scrap – embrace them with best-selling author and esteemed teacher Bonnie Hunter.
- Piece 12 unique, multi coloured scrap quilts in Bonnie’s signature style
- Turn leftover strips into usable fabric that’s readily available for projects with the easy-to-use Scrap User’s System
- This complete guide to scrap quilting includes full-size templates, 2 paper-piecing patterns and a full chapter on quiltmaking basics
Quilts in their essence are layers of colour, pattern and imagination all working together to form an effective design. This book is your illustrated guide to developing an artful understanding of your quilting process.
In its 15 original projects, you will be inspired to experiment with textiles, tools, and techniques. As you add these new "layers" of complexity into your designs, you'll discover added interest and depth in your quilting experience.
- Features various styles, making this collection appealing to both the traditional and modern quilter
- Builds your confidence and skills while letting your creativity flow
- Includes bed-size quilts with vibrant graphic designs
Move beyond one-patch hexagon layouts and turn six-sided shapes into versatile quilt design elements! Sew single, triple, rosette, sprocket, and medallion blocks in a variety of sizes and pieced combinations for stunning visual effects.
Eleven hexagon quilts invite you to master the Y-seam by machine or hand, as you sew astounding quilts that beg the question, "How'd you do that?" Mix it up with the author’s design primer, which gives you the tools to create new hex effects and draft your own stunning hexie quilt.
- Hexa-yawn to hexagon – create a repertoire of hexagons as you piece unusual layouts and radial designs that defy tradition
- Design your own dynamic hexagon quilt from mix-and-match blocks using English paper piecing or your machine
- Make your own templates, buy acrylic templates, use precut papers or get shapes from Inklingo to print on your fabric
Watch How to Press Hexagons with Emily Breclaw.$39.99
Award-winning pattern and textile designer Alison Glass shows you how to achieve heirloom appliqué results and offers a fresh twist on 14 projects to stitch for the home. You will:
- Learn valuable techniques in the time-honoured craft of appliqué, modernized in this inspiring project- based book, including the hottest thing in quilt-making – large scale appliqué
- Learn to create gorgeous, eye-catching designs with the help of 20 illustrations and 120 stunning, detailed how-to photograph
- Sample classic appliqué methods, including needle-turned appliqué, hand-stitched appliqué and appliqué on crocheted, embroidered and patchwork backgrounds
- Learn how to use the latest substrates and a variety of fibres to create unique, contemporary designs that fit your style perfectly
Explore new possibilities with strips ranging from 1½" to 10½" wide – and be amazed at the design variations that result. Take inspiration from the author's insights on colour, pattern and scale as you experiment to discover your own unique style.
- 15 versatile patterns in sizes from throws to king-size quilts
- Each project includes specific tips for fabric selection and placement; choose fabrics with confidence
- Cut strips from your stash or a fat-quarter collection, or use convenient precut 2½" strips
By cutting the desired shapes from paper, basting the paper to the back of your fabric and then hand-sewing the pieces together, you'll ensure perfectly matched points every time.
This complete course in English paper piecing takes you far beyond traditional hexagons with step-by-step photos showing you how to connect triangles, octagons, diamonds, jewels, triangles, tumblers, pentagons and curved shapes. It even provides dozens of ideas for incorporating the pattern designs into clothing, pillows, quilts and home decor items!$29.99
Alex Anderson’s "big book" of quilting includes indispensable, straightforward advice – essential tools, binding basics and easy-to-understand piecing and appliqué. Become a master of hand and machine quilting, and finish with professional touches that will turn you into a confident, lifelong quilter.
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced quilter, this must-have compendium will find a permanent home next to your sewing machine!
- Lessons on fabrics, colour theory, rotary cutting, piecing, appliqué, paper foundation piecing, settings, borders, hanging sleeves, labels and more
- Must-read tips for quilters of all skills levels
- Complete quiltmaking course in a book
- Helpful how-to photography and stunning finished quilts
Allie shows you how to make crazy quilting even more contemporary with an array of easy-to-master techniques. You'll learn how to combine traditional methods with modern fabric tricks. The photo gallery reveals just how fun crazy quilting can be – and anyone can do it.
- Jump into 7 projects that include small quilts, a needle cushion and a softie
- Learn four different methods
- Try techniques such as stencilling, photo transfer and Angelina fibre effects
- Embellish with 3-D ribbon flowers, embroidery, beads and painted lace
Quilt the illusion of stained glass. This rich resource of approachable techniques from expert Allie Aller will let you jump right in with 6 stained glass style quilts, from dazzling wallhangings to throws and bedcovers – full-size pullout pattern included.
Outline pieced and appliquéd shapes 3 different ways – using trims, couching and bias fabric strips. Explore your own ideas for both simple and intricate stained glass designs, and set yourself up for sewing success with tips on organizing your sewing space, using a design wall and more.
- A contemporary spin on stained glass quilts! 6 projects from usable bed quilts to wall decor
- Learn 3 easy ways to add "leading" between the pieces – all without pesky bias tape
- Expand your quilting repertoire with clever techniques and an inspirational stained glass quilt galley
Turn a single block into eight distinctive quilts – the magic is in the fabric! Barbara Cline takes an easy-to-sew triangle block and then shows countless intricate designs for you to experiment with colour and value.
Stunning triangle-star quilts are perfect for the adventurous beginner looking to try something new or the intermediate quilters who wants to put their skills to use in a creative way. Design your own quilt top using a provided line drawing that you can colour in and then bring to life with creative fabric selection.
- 1 easy-to-sew block makes 8 stunning projects
- Change the fabric placement for unique designs
- Colour in a provided line drawing to design your own triangle-star quilts
Delve into a beautifully photographed exploration of the spectacular colours, rich textures and treasured traditions of 65 of America's most remarkable quilts, each hand-selected from the permanent collection at the International Quilt Study Center & Museum, the largest public collection of quilts in the world.
Each quilt is a precious historic heirloom in its own right, highlighted in stunning, colour-saturated photos. You'll be inspired by the beauty, workmanship and artistry of America's quiltmaking tradition in this lush coffee-table book for all lovers of quilts and textiles.$49.99
Sumptuous, informative and engaging, this is the ultimate book on American quilts as art.
Written by one of the leading scholars in the field, it's a fascinating chronicle of the growth and evolution of an art form with a rich heritage. Not only does author Robert Shaw provide an insightful look at quilting aesthetics, he places the craft in its historical, cultural and socioeconomic context, providing a visually lush journey through American history.
This opulent volume starts with old-world traditions and goes up to the present, examining key moments that had an impact on quilting culture. More than 350 stunning images capture a rich variety of work created by people from all walks of life. This edition contains several new quilts, created since the book's original publication.$44.99
Enjoy the bold design and glowing colours of these 82 Amish quilts from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania which have been exhibited worldwide in major museums and venues.
This volume gives new insight into their beauty, using over 350 detailed colour photographs and discussions of Amish culture, quilting patterns, materials and construction. Readers may be inspired to create their own versions and will understand more about how quilting evolved in the Lancaster Amish community and enjoy the full-page views of each beautiful quilt.$59.99