Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
In this fourth book from her Civil War Legacies series, you'll find a collection of small, spectacular quilts where every scrap you save can shine.
Make a quilt honoring the Blue and Gray Trail; choose a stunning tribute to the woman who established the American Red Cross; stitch a sampler chock-full of charming Basket blocks. Along with 14 of Carol 's exquisite designs to make step by step, you'll enjoy reading little-known facts about the Civil War and Carol's stories about how each stunning little quilt came to be.$39.99
Transform a single fabric print with marvellous piecing magic! Best-selling author Maxine Rosenthal and Linda Bardes share stunning One Block Wonders quilts, with contributions from their popular Facebook design community.
Learn how to choose the right 60-degree ruler, pick the most useful fabric and change the look of a quilt with a different strip size. See what others have done – the beginning fabric and the ending projects – and courageously cut into that beautiful yardage! Sew simple pieced hexagon blocks with no "Y" seams, and enjoy the thrill of arranging and rearranging them on your design wall.
- Fantastic transformations! Turn one fabric print into a kaleidoscope quilt with this visual guide
- Learn to cut and piece identical triangles, arrange blocks on the design wall and design borders
- Admire 30 One Block Wonders, the original uncut fabric, and strip width needed to cut your own
Turn the corner to free-motion success with a meandering makeover! Best-selling author Angela Walters shows you that free-motion quilting doesn't have to be scary – with a couple designs in your pocket, you can finish almost any quilt on your home machine and enjoy the process.
Practice 8 meandering stitches for beginners, plus creative variations on each, with step-by-step visuals and quilted samples. Start your free-motion journey on the right foot with proven techniques to help you disguise mistakes and transition between designs with ease.
- Thrive at free-motion quilting with popular teacher and best-selling author Angela Walters
- Just starting out? Angela includes the basics of quilting and supplies
- Troubleshoot mistakes, master the meander and practice fluid movement between quilt stitches
Solids: they're versatile, they're affordable, and they've got the starring role in 13 vibrant quilts by top designers!
This collection of bright and simple-to-stitch designs with subtle modern style shines in colourful Kona Cottons. Re-creating each quilt is a snap, thanks to comprehensive colour keys and colour names included with each pattern.$32.99
Patricia Belyea offers improv instruction and shares her appealing Quilt Manifesto of five simple rules. While providing quilters with a starting point, the fifth rule of the Manifesto, "Break any rule you like," opens the door to creative freedom. (However, the solid instructions allow even the rule-breakers to create beautiful quilts on the first try).
Fourteen projects combine authentic Japanse yukata cottons and contemporary fabrics; each is finished with bold hand stitching. The quilt-making process is presented in detail, and each quilt shows the irresistible wabi-sabi influence of Japanese design. The sense of discovery in each project is like nothing else available.$39.99
Your childhood home, an old family caravan, the incredible skyscraper in your city – these are all wonderful subjects that deserve to be re-created in fabric.
Gloria Loughman teaches you to capture your favourite place in fusible appliqué. Her simple technique is easy to master, yet yields stunning results. Draw from one of three included projects, your own photo or memory and downloadable bonus patterns to assemble your own scenes that are captivating, vivid and full of character.
- Tell the story of a favourite place – Gloria shows you how to create buildings, boats, cars, doorways and more
- Quilters of all levels will love the comprehensive attention to fabric, colour and elements of design
- Practice a unique construction method for graphic quilts that resemble woodblock prints
From trapunto to appliqué, a rich variety of styles and techniques showcased in 500 Traditional Quilts.
From precision-pieced log cabins and dimensional trapunto to feathered stars and intricate appliqué, this remarkable collection captures the beauty of traditional quilts as never before. Assembled by Karey Bresenhan, a renowned figure in the quilting world, and featuring a huge roster of the very best international artists, these 500 masterpieces showcase classic patterns, forms and techniques.$39.99
A resource for quilters featuring 501 quilting motifs selected from more than 26 years of Quiltmaker magazine is now available in paperback. Quilters of all levels can finish gorgeous, one-of-kind quilts with these designs for hand or machine quilting.
Handy indexes cross-reference each motif by size and style, so finding the perfect one is quick and easy.
- Get clear guidelines for selecting and transferring motifs
- Find quilting motif categories such as flowers, feathers, vines and leaves, seasonal and holidays, children and teens, geometric designs and more
- Discover well over a thousand arrangements featuring the motifs
The popular Around the Block series is now presented in one handy volume.
- Features 501 pieced blocks, each with cutting and construction directions
- Each of the blocks is offered in six different sizes, resulting in more than 3000 different block possibilities
- Get the master compilation of the successful books Around the Block, Around the Block Again and Once More around the Block
The archives of Quiltmaker magazine are full of the best quilting motifs, and here are 502 new motifs pulled together in one volume just for you to mix and match and add to your quilt for the perfect finish!
The designs are categorized by style: In the Garden, By the Sea, Stars, Just for Kids, Hearts, Holiday Cheer, Geometric and, the ever-popular, Curves and Feathers. The book also includes:
- Indexes that cross references motifs by size and shape
- Advice on selecting and adapting the designs for your quilt
- Tips on marking tools, transferring designs and hand- versus machine-quilting
- Sample border positioning
Put those treasured bundles to good use with 13 fast, fun and versatile fat-quarter quilts! Want quilts in multiple sizes and variations? You’ll find a total of 75 possibilities! Play with scale, layout, colourways and block design to make each project your own.
Popular and up-and-coming designers share ideas to excite quilters of every style and skill level. This collection will help you slash your stash today, keeping you inspired for years to come.$39.99
If you've got quilts in every room of the house, it's time to start on the kitchen!
Sandy Klop of American Jane presents 13 designs – a Baker's Dozen – to use throughout your kitchen: on the walls, and as table runners too. Many feature Sandy's signature appliqué designs – several are pieced patterns. All are cheery, bright and just right for this favourite gathering place of every home.$34.99$14.99
Folk-art style is always in season, and this collection of charming projects will dress up your home all year long. Stitch your way through four collections of projects that display the distinctive colours and rich textures of each season. Cozy photos will inspire you to decorate your home with cheerful and inviting decor accents you'll be proud to display.
- Stitch inspiring designs, including quilts, wall hangings, pillows, framed pictures, banners and more
- Freshen the look of your home and create seasonable gifts for holidays and special occasions year-round
- Create gorgeous effects with three enjoyable techniques: easy wool appliqué, hand embroidery and patchwork
Explore a life lived in stitches and witness the aesthetic evolution of a treasured quiltmaking artist.
Revel in this dazzling self-curated collection of Gwen Marston's more than five-decade passion for quiltmaking. From her early pieces inspired by Mennonite quilts to her innovative work with appliqué and texture to her exploration of modern design, Gwen's aesthetic has remained a glorious marriage of freedom in construction, expert use of unexpected colours and negative space and happy design surprises.
See more than 80 quilts representing more than 40 years and a variety styles – all united by a common thread: the artist Gwen Marston.$49.99$27.99
Mix simple piecing with fabric from 10-inch-square Layer Cakes plus your favourite background fabrics and you've got a quilt you'll be proud of.
Transform your Layer Cake collection into intricate-looking designs that are a breeze to stitch – Peta Peace's tips will help you start and finish like a pro. You'll love the cheerful colours and innovative designs in these 14 all-new patterns.$34.99
A Simple Life is a peek back into the 1950s through entries made in the little red diary of Hazel Ilene Hyde, a teenager living the simple life of a farm girl during the era of roller rinks and poodle skirts.
Her daily trials and adventures inspired author Shelly Pagliai to create 7 projects with retro country flair. These simple, charming projects with step-by-step instructions are great for appliqué beginners.$39.99
A comprehensive guide to many of the techniques, tools and tricks involved in creating beautiful quilting projects for any occasion.
Clear, photographic step-by-step guides describe how to prepare a template, how to bead or embellish, all the way through to the final binding stages.
Look inside the book.$34.99
Quilting school is now in session, and it’s never been so fun to hit the books! Take the challenge to move beyond basic patchwork:
- 12 skill-building lessons, including paper piecing, strip piecing, bargello, set-in seams, appliqué, crazy quilting and more
- Learn the tools, terms and techniques that are the bedrocks of quiltmaking
- Use your new skills to finish a gorgeous final exam, an ABC-themed sampler quilt, plus a handful of quick-finish projects
- Expand your craft with this complete quilting course in one book
Join Trisch as she explores six aspects of negative space design: gradation, reversal, interruption, negative form, ghosting and piecing.
Each category features three original quilt designs. Trisch takes you through her thought process and guides you to accentuate the negative in your next quilt.$34.99
Don’t crumble under the weight of your scrap – embrace them with best-selling author and esteemed teacher Bonnie Hunter.
- Piece 12 unique, multi coloured scrap quilts in Bonnie’s signature style
- Turn leftover strips into usable fabric that’s readily available for projects with the easy-to-use Scrap User’s System
- This complete guide to scrap quilting includes full-size templates, 2 paper-piecing patterns and a full chapter on quiltmaking basics
Quilts in their essence are layers of colour, pattern and imagination all working together to form an effective design. This book is your illustrated guide to developing an artful understanding of your quilting process.
In its 15 original projects, you will be inspired to experiment with textiles, tools, and techniques. As you add these new "layers" of complexity into your designs, you'll discover added interest and depth in your quilting experience.
- Features various styles, making this collection appealing to both the traditional and modern quilter
- Builds your confidence and skills while letting your creativity flow
- Includes bed-size quilts with vibrant graphic designs
Move beyond one-patch hexagon layouts and turn six-sided shapes into versatile quilt design elements! Sew single, triple, rosette, sprocket, and medallion blocks in a variety of sizes and pieced combinations for stunning visual effects.
Eleven hexagon quilts invite you to master the Y-seam by machine or hand, as you sew astounding quilts that beg the question, "How'd you do that?" Mix it up with the author’s design primer, which gives you the tools to create new hex effects and draft your own stunning hexie quilt.
- Hexa-yawn to hexagon – create a repertoire of hexagons as you piece unusual layouts and radial designs that defy tradition
- Design your own dynamic hexagon quilt from mix-and-match blocks using English paper piecing or your machine
- Make your own templates, buy acrylic templates, use precut papers or get shapes from Inklingo to print on your fabric
Watch How to Press Hexagons with Emily Breclaw.$39.99
Award-winning pattern and textile designer Alison Glass shows you how to achieve heirloom appliqué results and offers a fresh twist on 14 projects to stitch for the home. You will:
- Learn valuable techniques in the time-honoured craft of appliqué, modernized in this inspiring project- based book, including the hottest thing in quilt-making – large scale appliqué
- Learn to create gorgeous, eye-catching designs with the help of 20 illustrations and 120 stunning, detailed how-to photograph
- Sample classic appliqué methods, including needle-turned appliqué, hand-stitched appliqué and appliqué on crocheted, embroidered and patchwork backgrounds
- Learn how to use the latest substrates and a variety of fibres to create unique, contemporary designs that fit your style perfectly
Explore new possibilities with strips ranging from 1½" to 10½" wide – and be amazed at the design variations that result. Take inspiration from the author's insights on colour, pattern and scale as you experiment to discover your own unique style.
- 15 versatile patterns in sizes from throws to king-size quilts
- Each project includes specific tips for fabric selection and placement; choose fabrics with confidence
- Cut strips from your stash or a fat-quarter collection, or use convenient precut 2½" strips
By cutting the desired shapes from paper, basting the paper to the back of your fabric and then hand-sewing the pieces together, you'll ensure perfectly matched points every time.
This complete course in English paper piecing takes you far beyond traditional hexagons with step-by-step photos showing you how to connect triangles, octagons, diamonds, jewels, triangles, tumblers, pentagons and curved shapes. It even provides dozens of ideas for incorporating the pattern designs into clothing, pillows, quilts and home decor items!$29.99
Alex Anderson’s "big book" of quilting includes indispensable, straightforward advice – essential tools, binding basics and easy-to-understand piecing and appliqué. Become a master of hand and machine quilting, and finish with professional touches that will turn you into a confident, lifelong quilter.
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced quilter, this must-have compendium will find a permanent home next to your sewing machine!
- Lessons on fabrics, colour theory, rotary cutting, piecing, appliqué, paper foundation piecing, settings, borders, hanging sleeves, labels and more
- Must-read tips for quilters of all skills levels
- Complete quiltmaking course in a book
- Helpful how-to photography and stunning finished quilts