Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
Rooted in the Victorian era, crazy quilting has a powerful allure for today's quilters, who use it to let loose and tell a unique story with fabric. Embrace crazy quilting with 35 must-know stitches and endless variations, shown in clear, step-by-step photographs for both right- and left-handed stitchers.
Fine artist Sharon Boggon reveals design fundamentals to guide you in your process, so you can sew thoughtful, visually appealing blocks. Learn the theory and process behind this fascinating art – how to choose fabrics, piece stitch-and-flip blocks, and embellish seams with embroidery, beads, buttons and charms.
- Learn crazy-quilting techniques with colourful photos that show every detail
- Combine fabric, embellishments, and 35 stitches, plus endless variations, into stunning crazy quilts as unique as you
- Unpack savvy design principals to make order of the chaos and guide the viewer's eye around the block
Your childhood home, an old family caravan, the incredible skyscraper in your city – these are all wonderful subjects that deserve to be re-created in fabric.
Gloria Loughman teaches you to capture your favourite place in fusible appliqué. Her simple technique is easy to master, yet yields stunning results. Draw from one of three included projects, your own photo or memory and downloadable bonus patterns to assemble your own scenes that are captivating, vivid and full of character.
- Tell the story of a favourite place – Gloria shows you how to create buildings, boats, cars, doorways and more
- Quilters of all levels will love the comprehensive attention to fabric, colour and elements of design
- Practice a unique construction method for graphic quilts that resemble woodblock prints
Turn the corner to free-motion success with a meandering makeover! Best-selling author Angela Walters shows you that free-motion quilting doesn't have to be scary – with a couple designs in your pocket, you can finish almost any quilt on your home machine and enjoy the process.
Practice 8 meandering stitches for beginners, plus creative variations on each, with step-by-step visuals and quilted samples. Start your free-motion journey on the right foot with proven techniques to help you disguise mistakes and transition between designs with ease.
- Thrive at free-motion quilting with popular teacher and best-selling author Angela Walters
- Just starting out? Angela includes the basics of quilting and supplies
- Troubleshoot mistakes, master the meander and practice fluid movement between quilt stitches
Continue the lovely promenade begun in the garden with 16 Dutch quilts old and new compiled for us by An Moonen and Petra Prins, this time in the beautiful Middachten Castle. The projects are reproductions of vintage quilts and are all explained and photographed in an exceptional setting!
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$64.99
Enjoy Margaret Mew's reproductions of 19th century quilts from the original 13 British colonies in America with a few from Australia's colonial history.
The 17 projects include diagrams and templates with the styling of the book stunning, as always with Quiltmania. The text is in French and English with a pattern sheet included.$64.99
The author presents a treasure trove of 12 seasonal wool appliqué projects, with 3 for each season.
Her Americana aesthetic, although very true to early decorative arts, would look great in many homes today. Presented in a lovely antique colour palette, these simple and elegant projects include a journal cover, pillow cover, wallhangings, storage boxes, table rug and more, perfect for your home or to give as gifts.
- Beginner-friendly projects with full-size patterns, ranging from a pillow and blanket carrier to a tea cozy and table runner
- Includes a beautiful styled photo of each project, as well as detail shots to show the gorgeous stitching
- Includes a basics chapter and a chapter on the collection, storage and use of wool
- Historically inspired designs are perfect for traditional quilters, textile artisans and rug hookers
14 quick quilts with dramatic results! From a House Sampler to glowing Stained Glass, construct a diverse collection of spectacular quilts using the simple French Braid piecing technique.
You get excellent advice on fabric, colour and value because these quilts rely on your ability to choose a range of graduated fabrics for the effect. Make it yours with pretty borders, separator bands and other creative variations.$34.99
Jane Hardy Miller delivers a collection of eight vivid new quilts that give some bold and surprising twists – you'll want to try them all.
If you've never made a French Braid quilt before, you'll be surprised how easy it is to sew these dramatic designs.
- 8 quilt projects offer the new styles quilters have been asking for
- Easy strip piecing and clear instructions guarantee success for quilters of all levels
This collection of charming quilts and home accessories from Sherri McConnell brings together the best of the old and the new in quilting. Sherri's new designs update traditional blocks (many handed down from her grandmothers) with fresh colours and fabrics from some of today's top designers. You'll also visit Sherri's quilting room and learn her methods for finding inspiration as a quilter.
- 18 varied projects include quilts, both large and small, plus pillows and table runners
- Raid your stash! Perfect projects for scrap fabrics, fat quarters and precut fabrics, such as Charm Packs and Jelly Rolls
- Fast and easy projects make wonderful homemade gifts
The authorsl pored through the museum's collection to find just the right quilts to inspire their latest project designs. Each of their adaptations uniquely mirrors the essential qualities of each quilt.
Fall in love all over again with our rich quilt heritage by making these projects, plus learn how to approach designing an artistic spin on one of your own antique treasures.
- Creative new adaptations of a diverse selection of antique quilts that range from simply functional to delightfully pictorial
- Projects show off a remarkable array of styles, settings and colourways
- Use a variety of techniques, such as needle-turned appliqué and improvisational piecing, with traditional blocks
Dawn Heese offers a soothing return to the past through 17 charming folk art-style quilts and small projects. A gentle and warm ambiance and easy appliqué; one imagines oneself in a country home, a bunch of wildflowers on the table and a welcoming chair where it’s good to settle in and quilt.
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$67.99
These 27 designs feature themes on space, cowboys, penguins, charming flowers, fairies, vibrant geometrics and more that kids will love. Features include:
- Each quilt is shown in full colour, accompanied by an assembly diagram, a complete materials list and step-by-step instructions
- Projects for all skill levels, as well as styles from soft and sweet to bold and bright
- Fons & Porter's popular Sew Easy lessons, which include step-by-step photography or diagrams
If you are like authors Nichole and Elisabeth, your favourite part of quilting is fussy cutting – and it usually involves figuring out how to enhance an interesting quilt block by framing a favourite element in your most-loved fabric!
Let fussy cutting become more than just showing a single design. By following along with how to create drastically different samplers from each of their 48 unique patchwork blocks, see how those same 9 inch blocks can easily be adapted to your own personal taste.
- Compare their blocks (and their samplers!) side by side and get inspired to use the fabrics you love to create your own sampler blocks
- Learn how to navigate those pesky stripes, how to work with either a limited palette or an eclectic scrappy one, and how to incorporate improvisational piecing to fussy cut even the smallest parts of your favourite designs
- Plenty of clear illustrations and how-to photographs, along with several examples of different types of fabrics, will guide you through each of the lessons
Suddenly, you'll see the endless possibilities in your fabric stash and won't be able to resist creating a fussy-cut sampler all your own.$44.99
Cut up your favourite fabrics with intention! Lifelong fussy cutter Angie Wilson teaches you how to look at your fabric stash with new eyes and piece the best bits together, like a colourful collage of your favourite things.
Try your hand at 14 totally fun, unique projects for both beginners and seasoned quilters. Use templates and illustrated tutorials to zero in on motifs and create secondary patterns from your fabrics, while you fussy cut for colour as well as design. Frame your motif, cut your fabric, and love the results!
- Cut fabrics thoughtfully to inject humor, boldness and style into your quilts
- Use fussy cutting as a foundation for 14 projects, from improv piecing to English paper piecing
- Uncover your stash's hidden treasures as you choose motifs and cut them with your own templates
Give your quilts the fancy finish they deserve with more than 60 lively continuous-line quilting designs from quilting pro Sheila Sinclair Snyder.
Learn to stitch free-form spirals, feathers, flowers, bubbles, leaves, cables and much more. Sheila shows you how to combine individual motifs into fluid designs for quilting blocks, borders, sashing and all over the quilt. All designs work equally well on home sewing machines, mid-arm and long-arm quilting machines, or for hand quilting.
- Try each motif in three versions: simple, more involved and fabulously over the top!
- Includes bonus quilt project that's perfect for practicing new quilting designs
- Includes quilting designs for borders and sashing
Best-selling author Angela Walters and her daughter, Cloe, join forces to teach preteens and teens the basics of quiltmaking.
The dynamic mother–daughter duo guides kids step-by-step through making their very first quilt. Readers will tackle 14 projects to keep or give as gifts, including stylish bedroom decor, such as pillow covers, rugs and T-shirt quilts.
Angela’s eye for design and her approachable teaching style is the perfect complement to Cloe’s kid-approved fabric choices and projects. With skill-builders and plenty of how-to photos, kids can finally bring their imaginative creations to life!
- 14 modern skill-building projects, such as pot holders, place mats, a quilted water bottle holder and a lot of quilts
- The basics of patchwork and appliqué, gathering supplies, rotary cutting (both left- and right-handed) and more
- How-to photos and page references make it easy to find help
A quilt in one weekend! Barbara Cain invites you to make simple patchwork scaled to dynamic proportions, so pattern pieces are quicker to cut and easier to sew.
Each of the 10 beginner-friendly, big-block quilt designs features 2 sizes and 6 colourways for 120 striking possibilities! Use elements from the quilt top to make a coordinating pieced quilt back. Maximize your time when you make and gift these modern quilts, which can be assembled in a weekend.
- 10 graphic, large-scale quilt patterns that are quick to sew, even for beginners
- Staggering variety – 2 sizes and 6 colorways per project, for 120 possibilities
- Creative pieced quilt backs carry over design elements from each quilt top
This book is the result of extensive field work and in-depth research conducted in Maharashtra, India. It is the first attempt to research the humble godhari, made by the rural women of this area. The book takes us on a wonderful journey through the region giving an insight into the art of godhari making, which has been passed down from one generation of women to the next.
The images highlight the way that everyday clothes, like saris, have been recycled. Maharashtra's women evidently have an inherent skill in making godharis, which they have never exploited for commercial use.
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$85.00
Bénédicte Maurin presents her creations, inspired by the famous English novelist Jane Austen who was so good at portraying the condition of women in England in the late 18th – early 19th century. Dolls, accessories and quilts are just part of the whole story.
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French and full-size templates and patterns.$59.99
Sewing with luxurious felted wool, discover the secrets to dimensional appliqué that will add depth and drama to your home decor.
Take your embroidery skills to the next level with 8 colourful projects including penny rugs, pincushions and pillows. Easy-to-learn techniques such as thread-matching, needle-slanting and fabric-layering will help you achieve clean and sharp lines every time!
This clear, visual guide includes full-size patterns with placement and embroidery guides.$39.99
Let your favorite fabrics take centre stage on this trendy, one-block raw-edge appliqué quilt. Jennifer Sampou’s eye-catching pattern includes complete instructions and tips for adding your own signature style. Learn new techniques as you expertly piece an eight-pointed star and skinny border. Fuse the giant LeMoyne Star to a pieced pinwheel background for a dramatic finish.
- Modern, one-block raw-edge appliqué design
- Full pattern with tips for piecing a giant LeMoyne Star
- Construction tips from popular fabric designer
- Finished quilt: 67 ¼" x 67 ¼"
The book contains 72 pages of beautiful projects using floral and lacy Mola motifs, all clearly illustrated with beautiful photography and with step by step diagrams (such that it is not at all difficult to follow even if you don't have French).
This title is in French only from Quiltmania, translated from the original Japanese.$49.99
Hazel Blomkamp combines a range of patchwork techniques including embroidery, beadwork, lace making and tatting to create inspiring, hand-stitched designs.
There are five projects to make exploring and combining your needlework skills. Everything has been created with fabric, a needle, threads, ribbons and beads. In some cases, even the ‘patches’ have been created with embroidery techniques.
Be inspired to explore and combine your skills in new and exciting ways.
Look inside the book.$39.99
Learn how to construct these cheerful little fabric shapes using the full-size templates provided, and then use them to create unique patchwork projects.
Step-by-step colour photographs illustrate various techniques, including English paper piecing, hand-pieced inset seams and special hexagon-specific quilting methods. Once these have been mastered, readers can try their hand at the collection of 12 adorable patchwork projects, including a floral-inspired mini quilt, retro tea cosy and zippered pencil case.
These hexie-based paper piecing projects work up quickly and easily, making them ideal hand-sewing projects for weekend crafting and quilting on the go.$28.99
Quilter's looking for fun, fresh, "aahhh-inspiring" projects of keepsake quality will love the quirky, whimsical style in Happy Quilts.
Each quilt is a combination of piecing and appliqué with directions suited to beginners or intermediate quilters. As shown, the designs are all eye-catching and bright, but readers can choose their own colour scheme from soft pastels to even graphic combinations of reds, whites, greys and blacks.
Quilters will enjoy the satisfaction of creating something totally unique. And lovable softies from the quilt designs can be made from matching fabrics so that they look as if they've jumped out of the quilts themselves.$42.99$39.99
With 80 original continuous-line designs for hand or machine quilting, featuring brand new quilting patterns, as well as some variations on old favourites.
- Spend less time starting, stopping and securing stitches
- Visual design index makes it easy to find the best patterns for your quilt
- Includes tips on machine quilting, marking, and background stitching
Each pattern includes a photo, a line drawing to trace and a directional diagram to show you how to stitch from sophisticated motifs to sweet animal faces. Smoothly stitch your design from start to finish in one continuous line.$39.99