Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
Patricia Belyea offers improv instruction and shares her appealing Quilt Manifesto of five simple rules. While providing quilters with a starting point, the fifth rule of the Manifesto, "Break any rule you like," opens the door to creative freedom. (However, the solid instructions allow even the rule-breakers to create beautiful quilts on the first try).
Fourteen projects combine authentic Japanse yukata cottons and contemporary fabrics; each is finished with bold hand stitching. The quilt-making process is presented in detail, and each quilt shows the irresistible wabi-sabi influence of Japanese design. The sense of discovery in each project is like nothing else available.$39.99
Get comfortable with basic piecing and machine quilting – one block at a time!
Jera Brandvig is back, this time with a romantic take on her quilt-as-you-go designs. Try your hand at 9 projects, including an elegant sampler with 51 mix-and-match blocks. For quilt as-you-go enthusiasts, Jera shares 3 optional joining methods, including her new technique that makes your quilt reversible! No matter how busy your schedule, you can set attainable goals and practice quilting patchwork blocks in small, manageable pieces.
- Timeless, classic quilts for busy folks – easily finish quilts on your home machine with quilt-as-you-go
- Learn a new way to quilt-as-you-go that decorates the back of your quilt in pretty patchwork squares
- Mix and match 51 blocks to assemble a one-of-a-kind quilt
Wake up each morning to a bright new hexagon! Discover the possibilities of English paper piecing as you create dynamic shapes and unique designs year after year with this perpetual calendar.
- Choose from 365 vibrant 6-inch hexagon blocks, plus an extra block for leap year
- Each hexagon includes a block photo, a placement diagram for each assembly and full-sized templates
- Sturdy spiral binding will keep each easy-to-turn page of the calendar intact for years of enjoyment
Medallion quilts, known for detailed borders built around a central focal point, have seen a resurgence in the modern quilting movement. Savour the intricate piecing and sophisticated appliqué behind these all-new modern medallion quilts. Projects range from basic to complex, with each quilt as unique as its maker.
Stitch a ring of Flying Geese, learn how to resize borders and master useful techniques, such as sewing inset curves and paper piecing, so you can create your own unique modern masterpiece!
- 11 modern medallion quilts ranging from basic to advanced
- Swap centres and borders to create your own design
- Authors Janice Zeller Ryan and Beth Vassalo are joined by 9 other quilters who are creating waves in the modern quilt movement – Alexia Abegg, Karen Anderson-Abraham, Rebecca Bryan, Kerry Green, Erica Jackman, Christina Lane, Melissa Richie, Latifah Saafir and Amy Sinibaldi
Your childhood home, an old family caravan, the incredible skyscraper in your city – these are all wonderful subjects that deserve to be re-created in fabric.
Gloria Loughman teaches you to capture your favourite place in fusible appliqué. Her simple technique is easy to master, yet yields stunning results. Draw from one of three included projects, your own photo or memory and downloadable bonus patterns to assemble your own scenes that are captivating, vivid and full of character.
- Tell the story of a favourite place – Gloria shows you how to create buildings, boats, cars, doorways and more
- Quilters of all levels will love the comprehensive attention to fabric, colour and elements of design
- Practice a unique construction method for graphic quilts that resemble woodblock prints
Do you long to make beautiful quilts but have such a busy life you can never find the time? Imagine creating a quilt top – maybe even your first – in just a weekend!
This jelly roll quilt pattern collection includes 15 contemporary quilts, which are easy enough to piece in a weekend. Jelly rolls are a fantastic shortcut to patchwork and quilting: you can avoid the hours of cutting and preparation required for making a quilt and go straight to the fun bit – the sewing!
Pam and Nicky Lintott are jelly roll experts, having written numerous books and hundreds of patterns, and they have developed a brand new collection of quilt patterns for jelly roll lovers and quilters looking for a stunning quilt pattern that comes together in super-fast time.$36.99
A quilt in one weekend! Barbara Cain invites you to make simple patchwork scaled to dynamic proportions, so pattern pieces are quicker to cut and easier to sew.
Each of the 10 beginner-friendly, big-block quilt designs features 2 sizes and 6 colourways for 120 striking possibilities! Use elements from the quilt top to make a coordinating pieced quilt back. Maximize your time when you make and gift these modern quilts, which can be assembled in a weekend.
- 10 graphic, large-scale quilt patterns that are quick to sew, even for beginners
- Staggering variety – 2 sizes and 6 colorways per project, for 120 possibilities
- Creative pieced quilt backs carry over design elements from each quilt top
This book is the result of extensive field work and in-depth research conducted in Maharashtra, India. It is the first attempt to research the humble godhari, made by the rural women of this area. The book takes us on a wonderful journey through the region giving an insight into the art of godhari making, which has been passed down from one generation of women to the next.
The images highlight the way that everyday clothes, like saris, have been recycled. Maharashtra's women evidently have an inherent skill in making godharis, which they have never exploited for commercial use.
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$85.00
Bénédicte Maurin presents her creations, inspired by the famous English novelist Jane Austen who was so good at portraying the condition of women in England in the late 18th – early 19th century. Dolls, accessories and quilts are just part of the whole story.
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French and full-size templates and patterns.$59.99
Sewing with luxurious felted wool, discover the secrets to dimensional appliqué that will add depth and drama to your home decor.
Take your embroidery skills to the next level with 8 colourful projects including penny rugs, pincushions and pillows. Easy-to-learn techniques such as thread-matching, needle-slanting and fabric-layering will help you achieve clean and sharp lines every time!
This clear, visual guide includes full-size patterns with placement and embroidery guides.$39.99
Let your favorite fabrics take centre stage on this trendy, one-block raw-edge appliqué quilt. Jennifer Sampou’s eye-catching pattern includes complete instructions and tips for adding your own signature style. Learn new techniques as you expertly piece an eight-pointed star and skinny border. Fuse the giant LeMoyne Star to a pieced pinwheel background for a dramatic finish.
- Modern, one-block raw-edge appliqué design
- Full pattern with tips for piecing a giant LeMoyne Star
- Construction tips from popular fabric designer
- Finished quilt: 67 ¼" x 67 ¼"
Heather Scrimsher uses photos of ordinary objects – a chain-link fence, pop beads, a propeller – to inspire fascinating modern quilts. This quilt-pattern collection is proof that beauty abounds when you see the world through a quilter's eyes.
- 15 clever projects, from wall hangings to bed-sized quilts
- Inspiration photos for each finished quilt
- Innovative designs for quilters with a broad range of skills
Those who have struggled with machine quilting will be relieved with the author's step by step of machine quilting. Includes fabric selection and preparation, choosing batting and backing fabric, pin basting layers, marking the quilt, thread choice, quilting sequence, walking foot and free motion quilting. Practice your skills on three charming quilt patterns, Trip Around the World wall quilt, Log Cabin Revisited, and Sixteen Baskets of Mud.$39.99
The book contains 72 pages of beautiful projects using floral and lacy Mola motifs, all clearly illustrated with beautiful photography and with step by step diagrams (such that it is not at all difficult to follow even if you don't have French).
This title is in French only from Quiltmania, translated from the original Japanese.$49.99
Hazel Blomkamp combines a range of patchwork techniques including embroidery, beadwork, lace making and tatting to create inspiring, hand-stitched designs.
There are five projects to make exploring and combining your needlework skills. Everything has been created with fabric, a needle, threads, ribbons and beads. In some cases, even the ‘patches’ have been created with embroidery techniques.
Be inspired to explore and combine your skills in new and exciting ways.
Look inside the book.$39.99
Learn how to construct these cheerful little fabric shapes using the full-size templates provided, and then use them to create unique patchwork projects.
Step-by-step colour photographs illustrate various techniques, including English paper piecing, hand-pieced inset seams and special hexagon-specific quilting methods. Once these have been mastered, readers can try their hand at the collection of 12 adorable patchwork projects, including a floral-inspired mini quilt, retro tea cosy and zippered pencil case.
These hexie-based paper piecing projects work up quickly and easily, making them ideal hand-sewing projects for weekend crafting and quilting on the go.$28.99
Quilter's looking for fun, fresh, "aahhh-inspiring" projects of keepsake quality will love the quirky, whimsical style in Happy Quilts.
Each quilt is a combination of piecing and appliqué with directions suited to beginners or intermediate quilters. As shown, the designs are all eye-catching and bright, but readers can choose their own colour scheme from soft pastels to even graphic combinations of reds, whites, greys and blacks.
Quilters will enjoy the satisfaction of creating something totally unique. And lovable softies from the quilt designs can be made from matching fabrics so that they look as if they've jumped out of the quilts themselves.$42.99$39.99
With 80 original continuous-line designs for hand or machine quilting, featuring brand new quilting patterns, as well as some variations on old favourites.
- Spend less time starting, stopping and securing stitches
- Visual design index makes it easy to find the best patterns for your quilt
- Includes tips on machine quilting, marking, and background stitching
Each pattern includes a photo, a line drawing to trace and a directional diagram to show you how to stitch from sophisticated motifs to sweet animal faces. Smoothly stitch your design from start to finish in one continuous line.$39.99
Deirdre Bond-Abel's first book gives prominence to:
- Wool appliqués in gleaming colours matched to pieced blocks in highly original creations
- Motifs from the past, in a new style and in a palette of magnificent colours and materials
- 17 quilt projects, wall hangings and accessories fully explained
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$64.99
After her first book, Bonnie’s Garden, Bonnie Sullivan is back with 17 charming projects inspired by nature and the comfort of home. The folk-art style of her creations is delightfully expressed through the materials that she uses to bring warmth to your surroundings!
From Quiltmania with text in English and French and includes 2 pattern inserts.$64.99
Kathi Campbell's work is inspired by a Folk Art spirit that she expresses through elegant charm quilts and accessories using a delicate colour palette. The 25 projects alternately use embroidery, patchwork, stitching, appliqué ...
Features detailed illustrations, step-by-step instructions, full size pull out templates and beautiful colour photos of the finished projects. From Quiltmania with text in both French and English.$64.99$19.99
Welcome spring with country-cute quilted projects featuring the simple piecing and chunky, whimsical appliqué. Cultivate your senses with sensational projects that add the perfect seasonal touch to your home – yet don't take a season to make. Cozy, light, and so very right for spring!
- Projects include throws, table runners, tote bags, a wall hanging, a pillow and more to decorate your home for spring or give as gifts
- Appliqué doesn't have to be difficult or time consuming – discover how fusible-appliqué techniques and easy machine stitching make it a breeze
- Create stunning quilts with fat quarters and fat eighths in your favourite springtime hues
Carolyn Forster takes you through the steps and gives you the tools and techniques for using large shapes to finish large quilts quickly and easily. Features include:
- Instructions for calculating and constructing hexagon paper templates
- Techniques include combining hexagons with other shapes, sewing hexagons by machine and by hand, sewing hexagons and other shapes together in rows then sewing the rows of hexagons together
- Helpful tips throughout help improve accuracy
- Projects include eight quilts, table mat, table runner, bag and pincushion
Appliqué hexagons using stunning, floral designs with this block-of-the-month pattern pack from Becky Goldsmith of Piece O Cake Designs.
This take-along sewing project includes 9 appliqué blooms that complement each other yet shine on their own in single-block projects. Individual templates for each appliqué shape make prep work fast and easy.
Graphic, fast, and full of movement, these easy-to-piece wedge blocks are appealing to both traditional and modern quilters. Show off your favourite motif in Tequila Sunrise, a bonus one-block project.$24.99
A lavishly illustrated review for quilters, quilt lovers and everyone interested in textile history, the book provides a comprehensive insight into the distinctive history of Dutch quilts.
The author considers at length the materials used, the patterns and the techniques in two sections:
- Part One: A History of Dutch Quilts
- Part Two: A selection of 71 of the total of 380 recorded Dutch quilts and textiles, making it possible to compare antique quilts from all over the world.
All sweetness and delicacy, the numerous little projects featured in this book resemble their designer who publishes her creations under the name 'Hatched and Patched'.
Anni has gathered little quilts and sewing and interior design accessories where patchwork and embroidery combine with much charm.
From Quiltmania with text in both English and French with full-size templates included.$59.99