Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
Betsy Chutchian presents 21 everyday quilts in the colours of the seasons she experiences in her Texas home. She uses a range of small quilts, lap quilts and larger quilts for the bed to bring warmth to her varied collections of baskets, dishes, bowls, folk art and more.
The book features the fine colour photography showing how the author has used the quilts to decorate her home and of course there are full instructions and excellent line drawings to support creation of each project.
From Quiltmania with text in English and French.$64.99
Popular quilt artist Erica Kaprow presents her whimsical designs in brilliant jewel colours that pop dramatically on a rich black background, with added embroidery embellishment using simple stitches. Plus, wool appliqué is easy to do and incredibly portable, perfect for on-the-go projects.
Includes a 12-page instruction booklet and full-size patterns for 30 blocks and borders, printed on individual sheets.
- Beautiful, simple to construct, and spectacular-looking quilt inspired by abundant flower gardens
- For wool lovers, colour lovers and all flower lovers!
- Perfect for a block-of-the-month club, wool appliqué class or a personal challenge
Your childhood home, an old family caravan, the incredible skyscraper in your city – these are all wonderful subjects that deserve to be re-created in fabric.
Gloria Loughman teaches you to capture your favourite place in fusible appliqué. Her simple technique is easy to master, yet yields stunning results. Draw from one of three included projects, your own photo or memory and downloadable bonus patterns to assemble your own scenes that are captivating, vivid and full of character.
- Tell the story of a favourite place – Gloria shows you how to create buildings, boats, cars, doorways and more
- Quilters of all levels will love the comprehensive attention to fabric, colour and elements of design
- Practice a unique construction method for graphic quilts that resemble woodblock prints
Quilting rulers have long been used by longarm quilters to make uniform shapes while quilting, but now, with the advent of the domestic ruler foot, domestic quilters can join in on the fun, too!
Amanda Murphy starts by showing you how to use 6 basic shapes of machine quilting rulers to lay a foundation for your quilting, then moves on to teaching you 59 different designs. Finish up by following Amanda’s suggestions for filling in the background space with free-motion quilting.
- Basic introduction to rulerwork, with tons of helpful information on using quilting rulers and ruler feet
- Stitch 59 designs using 6 basic quilting ruler shapes, including straight lines, circles and squiggles
- Combine rulerwork and free-motion quilting with Amanda’s innovative suggestions
Get comfortable with basic piecing and machine quilting – one block at a time!
Jera Brandvig is back, this time with a romantic take on her quilt-as-you-go designs. Try your hand at 9 projects, including an elegant sampler with 51 mix-and-match blocks. For quilt as-you-go enthusiasts, Jera shares 3 optional joining methods, including her new technique that makes your quilt reversible! No matter how busy your schedule, you can set attainable goals and practice quilting patchwork blocks in small, manageable pieces.
- Timeless, classic quilts for busy folks – easily finish quilts on your home machine with quilt-as-you-go
- Learn a new way to quilt-as-you-go that decorates the back of your quilt in pretty patchwork squares
- Mix and match 51 blocks to assemble a one-of-a-kind quilt
Explore new options in improvisational piecing and empower your creativity! Cut and combine solid-colour fabrics to create your own "prints" – stripes, polka dots, chevrons, plaids and more.
Forget the rules (and even your ruler) as you piece colourful solids into compelling quilt designs. Use colour, pattern and repetition to develop your personal design aesthetic as you stitch freely to create unique quilts that pack a punch!
- Piece new prints and patterns out of solid fabrics and use them to create original, dynamic quilt designs
- Empower your creativity – work freely without preconceived ideas
- Join author Maria Shell in a step-by-step journey of artistic discovery with this fascinating visual guide
Like speed cutting, the '10-minute' technique is revolutionizing patchwork. Fast and fabulous ... with flair!
That's what you get when you turn large blocks into speedy quilts using this handy '10-minute' technique. You can really make a 19 inch block in less than 10 minutes. That means you can sew a king-size quilt top in a day, a throw quilt in an hour or two. Imagine how many quilts you will finish this year!$19.99
This collection of 1000 quilts showcases some of today's most innovative and beautiful work.
Spanning generations and international cultures, these quilts feature intricate techniques, innovative designs and dynamic colours. From traditional nineteenth-century blocks to unique contemporary art, the images present here offer quilters of all persuasions an idea on every page to inspire a new product.$29.99
A dozen fat quarters: that's all you need to begin a beautiful quilt. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced quilter, you'll love these simple, striking and speedy quilt patterns.
- Discover simple piecing and clever colour combinations that will make your favourite fabrics shine
- These crowd-pleasing patterns look great with anyone's fat-quarter collection and finish fast
- Mix and match your fat quarters for a unique quilt that you'll be proud to call your own – or share with someone special
With their beautiful, soft sepia colour range, contemporary Japanese quilts stand out for their sophisticated reinvention of patchwork and appliqué blocks. These cool, calm quilts are as much at home in modern country style as they are in chic, urban settings. The harmonious fabrics are easily combined, often with accents of brick red, olive green, or yellow ocher, to create a new yet nostalgic style that resonates with quilters all over the world.
Susan Briscoe offers a wealth of tips, techniques and ideas for both the beginner and the experienced quilter.
The block patterns have been drafted from a variety of traditional block sources, including Japanese fabric, paper and architectural designs, and family crests. For each block there is a photograph, a clear instructional diagram or template, fabric palette and cutting guide, as well as detailed instructions for making the block. At-a-glance icons indicate skill level and techniques used.$34.99
Scraps never looked so good! This is improvisational piecing reinvented – learn how to create your own creatively-collaged swatches of fabric in just 15 minutes a day.
As you play, you'll sharpen your design skills and learn more about combining colours and prints in new ways. Discover just how distinctive classic blocks like Sawtooth Star or Flying Geese can be, when they're constructed with more spunk and spontaneity!
- Create a unique piece of "made-fabric" in just 15 minutes with Victoria's improvisational scrap-piecing methods
- Learn how to incorporate your made-fabric into traditional quilt blocks, then watch your quilt design emerge
- Includes 11 fun challenge exercises to strengthen your creative muscles, plus a quilt gallery full of inspirational images
150 mix-and-match designs for cute and cosy quilted treasures. Choose from colourful patchwork designs, geometrics and pictorial blocks featuring applique teddies, hearts, flowers, letters, numbers.
Each design has a detailed colour photo, recipe of ingredients and templates (if required). Mix-and-match ideas for using the blocks on their own (tessellated for all-over pattern) or with others in the book. Step-by-step technique photos, from selecting fabrics to embellishing the finished quilt.$19.99$12.99
When you're done piecing a quilt, do you often wonder how to finish it with free-motion quilting? Discover how to fill setting triangles, blocks and borders with a variety of traditional and modern quilting designs, divided into chapters by style: Lines and Squiggles, Curves and Pebbles, Swirls and Feathers and Just for Fun.
- Gain confidence as you follow the arrows and see how to fill a confined space with continuous-line quilting motifs that are adaptable to blocks, triangles and borders
- Discover which designs will work best before you sew by practicing your quilting; trace the designs with your finger or on tracing paper
- Whether you use a long-arm or home sewing machine, you'll enjoy quilting the wide variety of designs
Here are 180 more doodle designs at your fingertips!
You'll learn to free-motion quilt in three easy steps: trace a doodle, draw a doodle freehand and then quilt a doodle with ease! Tracing and drawing help your eyes, hands, and muscles learn a motif. Practice makes progress. All three parts work together to create these delightful doodles in thread!
Design sets for blocks, borders and corners include lines, waves, squiggles, loops, curves, pebbles, swirls, curls, feathers, flowers and more, plus an introductory section sets you up for success. There's never been a better time to discover this fun way to machine quilt.$39.99
Meet a creative group of quilters who love antique quilts as much as you do.
Let the Divas teach you how to stitch intricate 19th-century inspired quilts. You'll love piecing the elegant quilt blocks yourself or with friends in an ongoing block exchange.
Each classic block is presented in four strikingly different quilts that will inspire hours of pleasurable stitching with your favourite reproduction fabrics. Enjoy the love of yesteryear's quilts and true friendship exquisitely stitched together!$39.99
This book is a fabulous source of ideas and inspiration for simple patchwork quilt designs that are quick and satisfying to make, while also being beautiful.
The book contains 20 projects, each using a different-shaped patch. On each project page there is a template for the basic shape, reproduced at actual size, and some basic instructions for arranging the shapes and stitching them together, showing some different ways of making a design using colour and pattern.
Instructions at the start of the book explain how to enlarge the template if you want to make a larger quilt, and some basic quilting techniques, plus some guidance on how many shapes are needed to make a particular size of quilt.
Look inside the book.$13.99
Chuck Nohara was the first master to introduce and teach quilting in Japan. Her colleagues, editors and fans all agree that she simply is a genius! Quiltmania has the great privilege of once again publishing this bible of 2001 blocks which has been out of print in Japan for years.
The book is a monument of talent, fantasy and creativity where you will find 'standard' patterns redesigned and reinterpreted by Chuck Nohara. The content is exceptional and will help you create gorgeous quilts that do not have to be complicated! From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$80.00
This directory by Louise Bell presents 201 original motifs and blocks that are enjoyable and rewarding to create. Divided into sections on motifs, projects, and ideas and techniques, the book offers an exciting mixture of traditional and original designs.
- Create beautiful blocks in a whole range of colours and patterns
- From the blocks, make original bedspreads, screens, wall hangings and cushions
- Includes step-by-step instructions for each project, practical tips and basic techniques
Create stunning modern quilts and quilted projects from jelly rolls, layer cakes and other pre-cuts fabric bundles.
Features 25 small and large projects, each made from pre-cut bundles of fabric, including full sized bed quilts, bags and table runners. Be inspired by fabulous contemporary quilt designs using the most exciting fabric lines, and use up the leftovers to make quick and easy small quilted projects.$39.99
This fun and inspiring collection of 318 original patchwork and appliqué blocks from designer Kumiko Fujita shows off her amazing talent for constructing detailed, realistic looking motifs with deceptively simple shapes.
Quilters will enjoy poring over the designs and templates for inspiration to create blocks suitable for a wide variety of projects. Patchwork and appliqué motifs are included for a variety of themes, such as: Christmas, Weddings, New Baby, Letters & Numbers, Vehicles, Animals, Flowers, Gardening, Cooking, Circus, Nautical, Sweets and more!$34.99$19.99
A compilation of the 365 free-motion quilting designs is a treasury of ideas and inspiration you'll return to again and again.
From blocks to sashing to borders, find hundreds of filler designs perfect for all of the different areas of your quilt. Feeling confused by free-motion quilting? Get back on track with Leah's quick tips on everything from machine settings to how to prepare your quilt top and backing for quilting for quilters of all skill levels.$49.99
A compilation of 365 free-motion designs from best-selling author Leah Day, this sturdy, spiral-bound calendar is built to last, for years of enjoyment and inspiration. From blocks to sashing to borders, you’ll find hundreds of filler designs perfect for all of the different areas of your quilt. Trace the design to practice, or visit www.LeahDay.com/365 to find video tutorials for each of the designs. Challenge yourself to memorize – not mark – each new design!
- A new free-motion quilting design for every day of the year!
- Break out of your stippling rut – high-quality photos of each meticulously stitched design
- Treasury of ideas and inspiration you’ll return to year after year
Collected in these pages are 50 of the favourite quilts from the Editors of Quiltmaker magazine that showcase just what you can do with one or two spectacular blocks!
The selected quilts highlight or combine various techniques, including appliqué and foundation-piecing, and provide a range of quilt sizes, from table runners to queen-size bed quilts. The featured blocks are from the 100 Blocks series, which means they're interchangeable. Swap them for your favourites from the series or use the blocks from the original quilt design.
- 50 quilts in a variety of sizes
- An overview of basic techniques
- Complete instruction for creating the blocks and the quilt settings
- Quilting suggestions for the finished quilt top
- A CD-ROM of PDF templates and quilting motifs
Pick from your favourite techniques, learn a new one or combine a few – with 50 quilts to choose from, you'll have plenty of options for creating the perfect quilt!$46.99$44.99
From trapunto to appliqué, a rich variety of styles and techniques showcased in 500 Traditional Quilts.
From precision-pieced log cabins and dimensional trapunto to feathered stars and intricate appliqué, this remarkable collection captures the beauty of traditional quilts as never before. Assembled by Karey Bresenhan, a renowned figure in the quilting world, and featuring a huge roster of the very best international artists, these 500 masterpieces showcase classic patterns, forms and techniques.$39.99
A resource for quilters featuring 501 quilting motifs selected from more than 26 years of Quiltmaker magazine is now available in paperback. Quilters of all levels can finish gorgeous, one-of-kind quilts with these designs for hand or machine quilting.
Handy indexes cross-reference each motif by size and style, so finding the perfect one is quick and easy.
- Get clear guidelines for selecting and transferring motifs
- Find quilting motif categories such as flowers, feathers, vines and leaves, seasonal and holidays, children and teens, geometric designs and more
- Discover well over a thousand arrangements featuring the motifs
The popular Around the Block series is now presented in one handy volume.
- Features 501 pieced blocks, each with cutting and construction directions
- Each of the blocks is offered in six different sizes, resulting in more than 3000 different block possibilities
- Get the master compilation of the successful books Around the Block, Around the Block Again and Once More around the Block