Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
Explore a life lived in stitches and witness the aesthetic evolution of a treasured quiltmaking artist.
Revel in this dazzling self-curated collection of Gwen Marston's more than five-decade passion for quiltmaking. From her early pieces inspired by Mennonite quilts to her innovative work with appliqué and texture to her exploration of modern design, Gwen's aesthetic has remained a glorious marriage of freedom in construction, expert use of unexpected colours and negative space and happy design surprises.
See more than 80 quilts representing more than 40 years and a variety styles – all united by a common thread: the artist Gwen Marston.$49.99
This durable plastic tote bag with fabric Handle is ideal for carrying your quilting supplies and anything else.
The bag measures 380 x 380 x 170 mm.$14.99
Multitask like never before with this revolutionary, all-in-one approach to appliqué and quilting! It all starts with your quilt sandwich, as you apply gorgeous appliqué shapes and free-motion quilting in one step. Learn how wash-away sheets, secondary quilting designs, couching and bobbinwork can take your designs to the next level. Appli-quilting is fast, effective and versatile – a game changer for owners of both longarm and domestic sewing machines.
- A true time-saver – multitask when you appliqué and free-motion quilt at the same time
- Quilt stylish, creative showpieces with raw-edge, fusible and turned-edge appliqué
- Embellish with couching, bobbinwork and innovative motifs on your longarm or domestic machine
Angela Walters is back with 70+ all-new free-motion designs and variations to take your quilting to the next level.
Tackle your quilt top one bite at a time, with ideas for quilting specific shapes – squares, rectangles, triangles, circles, diamonds, and hexagons – plus background fillers and borders.
- Gorgeous designs for every shape – quilt blocks, backgrounds and borders
- Step-by-step illustrations, visual index, full-page quilt photos and photo details of motifs
- For longarm, midarm and domestic sewing machines
Learn to use simple design principles to create unique improvisational quilts. Without using patterns, learn 5 easy piecing techniques to add to your improvisational toolbox – angled stripes, circles, blocks, curved strips and inset strips – and watch the art unfold before your eyes. Focus on colour combos and negative space to discover your personal style, and then add dazzling texture with free-motion stitching.
- Embrace your creative spirit – practice improv quilting using 5 easy blocks, circles and strip sets
- Design with negative space, colour recipes, and even irregular edges
- Finish quilts with free-motion texture and sleeve-free wall hanging techniques
Take an in-depth look at the artistry of Angela Walters, a true visionary and leader in the modern quilting movement.
This coffee table book delves into her free-motion quilting journey in gorgeous detail. The best-selling author gives insight into her design process, with full-page photography of her own quilts and commissions for well-known designers. Discover how she sketches with grand details and lavish texture to complement each quilt’s specific design.
- Inspired quilts! The work of celebrated artist Angela Walters
- A visual conversation on choosing free-motion motifs for specific quilts and spaces
- Stunning detail photography and full-page shots of Angela’s free-motion magic
This not only gives patterns for 1,000 quilt blocks, but the accompanying CD offers each block in six different sizes from 4" to 15" to give quilters immense flexibility.
- Blocks are organized by styles such as Four-Patch or Nine-Patch
- All blocks are shown in full colour
- There are choices for the beginner as well as more challenging ones for advanced quilters
This big treasury is a welcome addition to every quilter's library.$39.99
This collection of 1000 quilts showcases some of today's most innovative and beautiful work.
Spanning generations and international cultures, these quilts feature intricate techniques, innovative designs and dynamic colours. From traditional nineteenth-century blocks to unique contemporary art, the images present here offer quilters of all persuasions an idea on every page to inspire a new product.$29.99
This value-packed book features 101 inspiring quilt patterns in a wide array of colours and popular styles. Create doll quilts, wall quilts, table runners, candle mats, lap quilts and so much more.
- Enjoy designs from such trusted names as Country Threads, Kathleen Tracy, Kim Diehl, Little Quilts, Lori Smith and Mary Hickey
- Styles range from two-colour quilts to totally scrappy designs – use convenient precuts and fat quarters or fabrics pulled from your stash
- Try a variety of techniques with a minimal investment of time and money
A dozen fat quarters: that's all you need to begin a beautiful quilt. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced quilter, you'll love these simple, striking and speedy quilt patterns.
- Discover simple piecing and clever colour combinations that will make your favourite fabrics shine
- These crowd-pleasing patterns look great with anyone's fat-quarter collection and finish fast
- Mix and match your fat quarters for a unique quilt that you'll be proud to call your own – or share with someone special
With their beautiful, soft sepia colour range, contemporary Japanese quilts stand out for their sophisticated reinvention of patchwork and appliqué blocks. These cool, calm quilts are as much at home in modern country style as they are in chic, urban settings. The harmonious fabrics are easily combined, often with accents of brick red, olive green, or yellow ocher, to create a new yet nostalgic style that resonates with quilters all over the world.
Susan Briscoe offers a wealth of tips, techniques and ideas for both the beginner and the experienced quilter.
The block patterns have been drafted from a variety of traditional block sources, including Japanese fabric, paper and architectural designs, and family crests. For each block there is a photograph, a clear instructional diagram or template, fabric palette and cutting guide, as well as detailed instructions for making the block. At-a-glance icons indicate skill level and techniques used.$34.99
Yoko Saito, famous for her undeniably unique and beautiful colour selections and intricate handwork, continues to give the world more wonderful designs in this book chock full of patterns and projects.
The 138 designs are a mix of small and large and appropriate for both children and adults. There are 20 projects included in the book from bags and pouches to the more unusual eyeglasses case and a trug. Once again she combines not only appliqué, but patchwork and embroidery in her creations.$69.99
Scraps never looked so good! This is improvisational piecing reinvented – learn how to create your own creatively-collaged swatches of fabric in just 15 minutes a day.
As you play, you'll sharpen your design skills and learn more about combining colours and prints in new ways. Discover just how distinctive classic blocks like Sawtooth Star or Flying Geese can be, when they're constructed with more spunk and spontaneity!
- Create a unique piece of "made-fabric" in just 15 minutes with Victoria's improvisational scrap-piecing methods
- Learn how to incorporate your made-fabric into traditional quilt blocks, then watch your quilt design emerge
- Includes 11 fun challenge exercises to strengthen your creative muscles, plus a quilt gallery full of inspirational images
150 mix-and-match designs for cute and cosy quilted treasures. Choose from colourful patchwork designs, geometrics and pictorial blocks featuring applique teddies, hearts, flowers, letters, numbers.
Each design has a detailed colour photo, recipe of ingredients and templates (if required). Mix-and-match ideas for using the blocks on their own (tessellated for all-over pattern) or with others in the book. Step-by-step technique photos, from selecting fabrics to embellishing the finished quilt.$19.99
This outstanding quilt, inspired by a photo of a little known antique Bohemian quilt, swept Best in Show at quilt venues across the USA.
Follow Pam's journey from tragedy to celebration, as she recreates the original using an easy appliqué technique (machine stitching/fast fusing) that enables anyone to replicate "1776". Includes step-by-step directions, templates, plus 6 new quilt projects and plenty of colour photos.$54.99$19.99
When you're done piecing a quilt, do you often wonder how to finish it with free-motion quilting? Discover how to fill setting triangles, blocks and borders with a variety of traditional and modern quilting designs, divided into chapters by style: Lines and Squiggles, Curves and Pebbles, Swirls and Feathers and Just for Fun.
- Gain confidence as you follow the arrows and see how to fill a confined space with continuous-line quilting motifs that are adaptable to blocks, triangles and borders
- Discover which designs will work best before you sew by practicing your quilting; trace the designs with your finger or on tracing paper
- Whether you use a long-arm or home sewing machine, you'll enjoy quilting the wide variety of designs
Meet a creative group of quilters who love antique quilts as much as you do.
Let the Divas teach you how to stitch intricate 19th-century inspired quilts. You'll love piecing the elegant quilt blocks yourself or with friends in an ongoing block exchange.
Each classic block is presented in four strikingly different quilts that will inspire hours of pleasurable stitching with your favourite reproduction fabrics. Enjoy the love of yesteryear's quilts and true friendship exquisitely stitched together!$39.99
What do you do with all those left-over pieces once you've made your patchwork quilt? Instead of assigning them to the waste bin, save them up and you will soon have enough to stitch at least one of the fun projects in this book.
Using simple sewing, quilting and patchwork techniques, there are 20 projects to choose from, including stylish cushions, pretty little bags and a handy pincushion, all of which are quick and easy to make. If you don't use Jelly Rolls, any odd scraps of fabric can be used instead – just cut them to size and away you go!
All the templates are provided as well as some basic tips and techniques, and each project is accompanied by a list of the materials and tools you need, and clear, step-by-step instructions.$12.99
Now in one value-packed book, find 200 quilt-block patterns from Quiltmaker magazine's popular 100 Blocks collections. Full-sized appliqué and foundation-piecing patterns are included on the bonus CD.
- Try block styles ranging from simple patchwork to appliqué, foundation piecing, hand embroidery and yo-yos
- Quickly find what you're looking for in the user-friendly block index
- Create blocks that all finish at 12"
- Get ideas for quilt settings, include yardages
Chuck Nohara was the first master to introduce and teach quilting in Japan. Her colleagues, editors and fans all agree that she simply is a genius! Quiltmania has the great privilege of once again publishing this bible of 2001 blocks which has been out of print in Japan for years.
The book is a monument of talent, fantasy and creativity where you will find 'standard' patterns redesigned and reinterpreted by Chuck Nohara. The content is exceptional and will help you create gorgeous quilts that do not have to be complicated! From Quiltmania with text in both English and French.$90.00
Using fabulous fabrics and graphic pops of colour, popular blogger Katy Jones presents time-honored and original quilt-block patterns, plus four fun projects. Beginner-friendly instructions include machine piecing, working with squares and triangles, basic machine appliqué and fussy cutting for big impact with little effort.
- Select from 25 rotary-cut blocks – find traditional designs as well as fresh interpretations and new blocks
- Follow clear and accurate instructions, measurements and diagrams for easy construction
- Create skill-building projects such as a coaster, pillow, armchair sewing butler, and vibrant quilt
Following the success of her book 25 Patchwork Quilt Blocks, popular blogger and designer Katy Jones presents an all-new assortment of terrific quilt-block patterns.
- Explore a wide range of 6" blocks, including traditional designs as well as fresh interpretations and new blocks
- Learn beginner-friendly techniques for machine appliqué, hand appliqué, English paper piecing and more
- Make the most of your blocks with projects in a variety of sizes: a keep-safe drawstring bag, an apron and two quilts
Create stunning modern quilts and quilted projects from jelly rolls, layer cakes and other pre-cuts fabric bundles.
Features 25 small and large projects, each made from pre-cut bundles of fabric, including full sized bed quilts, bags and table runners. Be inspired by fabulous contemporary quilt designs using the most exciting fabric lines, and use up the leftovers to make quick and easy small quilted projects.$39.99
This fun and inspiring collection of 318 original patchwork and appliqué blocks from designer Kumiko Fujita shows off her amazing talent for constructing detailed, realistic looking motifs with deceptively simple shapes.
Quilters will enjoy poring over the designs and templates for inspiration to create blocks suitable for a wide variety of projects. Patchwork and appliqué motifs are included for a variety of themes, such as: Christmas, Weddings, New Baby, Letters & Numbers, Vehicles, Animals, Flowers, Gardening, Cooking, Circus, Nautical, Sweets and more!$34.99
A compilation of the 365 free-motion quilting designs is a treasury of ideas and inspiration you'll return to again and again.
From blocks to sashing to borders, find hundreds of filler designs perfect for all of the different areas of your quilt. Feeling confused by free-motion quilting? Get back on track with Leah's quick tips on everything from machine settings to how to prepare your quilt top and backing for quilting for quilters of all skill levels.$49.99
Create elaborate star blocks quickly and accurately with simple paper-piecing shown step-by-step in colour photos. Bestselling author Carol Doak gives us 50 original paper-pieced star blocks, broken into easy steps that any quilter can complete.
Each design comprises four simple units that join to create 12" blocks. Plus:
- Ideas for mixing and matching block sections to make original designs and secondary patterns
- Tips for enlarging and reducing patterns to customize your quilts
- Ideas for using finished blocks in a variety of projects
Includes a video CD-ROM – watch Carol demonstrate her easy paper-piecing technique! Mac & PC compatible.$39.99