General Woodworking & Carpentry
350+ colour photos show how any room will benefit with trimwork / other finishing details. 750+ drawings of moulding designs and profiles that you can use in your home (wainscoting, crown moulding, chair rails).
Part 1: trimwork basics, options, tools, techniques.
Part 2: how to apply trimworks / treatments in all rooms.$42.95$38.95
Lora Irish offers 35 amazingly detailed new projects that explore the craft of pyrography across the full range of inventive pyro media.
The patterns illustrate the application of fine pyrography across a wide variety of imaginative media, including vegetable tanned leather, dried gourds, cotton fabric, artist paper, chipboard and papier-mache. Each fascinating project includes complete instructions plus photographs of both the finished piece and the work-in-progress across pale, medium, dark and detailed stages.
- Learn the basics of pyrography systems, tools, supplies and practice boards
- Advice on temperature settings, fill patterns, hand positions, textures, stroke patterns and more
- Chapters on creating tonal values, understanding shadows, adding colour to your burnings and finishing the work
The Art and Craft of Wood is an introduction to the basics of wood craft that will inspire you to make something of your own through simple, approachable instructions and inspiring step-by-step photos. You will learn valuable skills, including:
- Where to find wood that you can reclaim for your own use
- How to mill, stack, dry and flatten your log into useable lumber
- Creating a variety of useful household furnishings in 7 step-by-step projects ranging in difficulty from novice to more complicated
- What to do with leftover material, such as making firestarters and animal bedding
Basic Marquetry and Beyond is the ideal reference for all woodworkers, crafters and makers who want to create original art or inexpensively and beautifully embellish their finished projects.
- 20 projects and the expert guidance of two of today’s top marquetry experts
- Provides everything needed to master veneer and inlays while designing pictures and making projects such as boxes, coasters, platters and bowls truly beautiful and unique
- Over 250 photos, full-size patterns and straight-forward instructions take the reader step-by-step through each project rendering what might appear complicated as a very simple task
The book makes understanding patterns easy while taking all the guesswork out of the selecting veneers. Any beginner will feel like a seasoned pro while the advanced maker will now doubt discover new ideas and techniques for their marquetry skill-set.$39.99
Over 30,000 wood names with their corresponding commercial, common, and vernacular names, originally published in Germany in 1936.
Includes the species, family, and area or country of origin for each wood. Its greatest value lies in the quantity of common or local names for various timbers, a topic of growing concern as the export of native woods increases.
Containing Spanish, French, German, and English vernacular names, this book is useful for commercial buyers as well as the hobbyist or wood collector.$49.99
If you've ever wanted to make a guitar, you probably got overwhelmed quickly. The Box Maker's Guitar Book takes you back to basics with the simple reminder that all woodworkers and makers know how to make boxes.
From that building block, you can create a beautiful guitar that sounds good, too. With simple construction techniques, Doug Stowe breaks down the guitar into its component parts so you can mix and match to create your own unique instrument.
You'll learn how to create sound holes, necks, frets, nuts, tail pieces, bridges and all the pieces you need to complete your musical masterpiece. The 15 easy projects include more than just a flat-sided box – try your hand at a scissor-tail or K-body design, or even a ukulele.
With a minimal investment of time and tools, you can have a sweet-sounding box guitar to strum on your own or give to a friend.$34.99
The builder-tested techniques in Carpentry will help you develop new skills and hone the ones you have.
Step-by-step colour photos and diagrams illustrate both basic and advanced techniques:
- How to frame floors, walls, ceilings, roofs
- How to install vinyl, wood or composite siding, replace or repair windows and doors
- How to install wainscotting, crown molding and mantles
The nuts and bolts of carpentry, all in one handy volume. Carpenter and author Andy Engel provides homeowners with a comprehensive and easy-to-use reference for covering all home carpentry projects from the most basic to the most advanced.
Full of authoritative and reliable information, Carpentry Complete is designed to help any homeowner or DIYer tackle projects with confidence. Well organized so that information can be found quickly (including advice on how to deal with the inevitable things that can go wrong), this highly visual book makes it easy for readers to find the step-by-step advice they're looking for.$29.99$19.99
In addition to 20 beautiful and practical projects you can create - such as a turned wooden bowl, a carved box, and woven basket, to name a few - you will discover the rich history, the fascinating cultural myths, and the significant ecological status of this beautiful and legendary tree.$44.99
These 35 projects include both practical and decorative items and will add a touch of charming style to every room of the house. Each project has a skill level, so you can start with an easier project, such as a flower keyring or wooden bunting, and then try using more advanced skills – why not make a tool box for all your woodworking kit, or a shelf for the bedroom?
Every project is illustrated with beautiful step-by-step artworks and clear, step-by-step instructions. Projects reuse the same basic techniques, so you'll soon grow in confidence and realise how many beautiful objects can be made with only simple tools. All the templates you'll need are also included.$34.99$9.99
Few pieces of furniture, save perhaps chairs, work as hard as doors. Building them to last, especially exterior doors, takes knowledge and experience that doesn't come from making other types of furniture, such as tables and bookcases.
Doormaking: Materials, Techniques and Projects for Building Your First Door by woodworker Strother Purdy gathers all the information and guidance that both beginning and intermediate woodworkers need to be successful making their first door.$37.99
Provides intermediate and advanced woodworkers with well illustrated, step-by-step instructions for classic Greene & Greene details, including ebony plugs, cloud lifts, leg indents, brackets, and pulls.
The design philosophy of the period accompanies how-to chapters, and photographs of contemporary Greene-inspired furniture provide ideas for projects. Background information is included for Charles and Henry Greene.$34.99
With just the naked eye and a hand lens or elementary microscope, you will be able to identify 180+ hard, soft and tropical woods by following the straightforward techniques, photos, colour wood samples and drawings provided by one of the top experts in the field.
The into has an overview of the identification process, and the basic anatomy of woody plants, soft and hard woods is explained.$54.99
If you've ever wanted your own custom knife to take along on that camping, hunting, or fishing trip, or to give to a family member or a friend as the perfect gift, Make Your Own Knife Handles has you covered. All you need is the knife blade of your choice, easily picked up at any woodworking store or knife shop, and Chris Gleason's new book, and you'll soon be customising your own beautiful knife.
With simple construction techniques, the book covers all the basics of selecting the wood, prepping it for your blade and how to assemble the knife. The 16 projects cover all the styles you'll need, from a simple folding knife and kitchen paring knife to an Alaskan Ulu and hatchet.$34.99
Penland School of Crafts attracts some of the most important artists working today as instructors, including many top furniture makers. Here, 10 gifted woodworkers share their creative approaches and groundbreaking designs in step-by-step master classes. Superb colour photos display their stunningly original work and that of other craftsmen and illustrate each project step-by-step.$59.95$39.95
One of the best woodworkers today takes you into his shop as he builds the 12 projects. Learn how to create beautiful pieces of furniture while gaining key woodworking skills.
- Projects range from a small wall-hung shelf to a serving tray, blanket chest and trestle table
- All feature measured drawings, a materials list, and step-by-step photos
- Peppered throughout with tips and techniques on woodworking fundamentals
This book provides 20 small-scale projects that can add a touch of style to any living space. Building skills is a lot more fun when you're making something you can show off or give as a gift. The projects in this book are a great way to practice your craft – plus you might just end up creating a treasured heirloom that looks great on the wall or mantel.
Practice a wide range of woodworking techniques!
- Mortise and tenon
- Finger joints
- Bent lamination
Make fun accents for the home!
- Wall clocks in classic and contemporary designs
- An 18th-century mahogany mirror, Mantel clocks and lamps inspired by popular period styles
- An assortment of hanging shelves
- Beautiful boxes for storage or gifts
- And much more
Featuring quick reference tables for determining board foot measurements. The figures go beyond a simple discussion of the calculation, providing actual measurements for dimensions ranging from one to more than 25 inches wide, one to 20 feet long, and one to four inches thick.
Whether figuring quantities for a project or facing a large amount of inventory to count, this tool for craftspeople frees them from calculators, computers, and the lumber stick.$14.99$7.99
A variety of woodworking projects featuring:
- Patterns and instructions for 40 scroll saw projects
- Projects-which combine a simplistic style with modern flair-range from chic lighting accessories and wall art to stylish pendants, coasters, candle holders...
- Gallery of the authors' work showcases the wide variety of items you can make by enlarging, reducing or simply altering patterns
- Orientates new woodworkers to the capabilities and techniques for cutting wood-specifically intricate designs-on a scroll saw
- Instructions for finishing details such as backing hardware for pictures, stands for frames, creating adjustable cording for pendants and more are included
This comprehensive guide provides you with the specific advice that you need in order to use the SketchUp program to create beautiful furniture designs and reduces chances of costly construction errors. Inside you'll find:
- Step-by-step instructions for installing and configuring the program to get the most functionality for your woodworking designs
- Explicit guidance to help you fully understand and use SketchUp's wide array of tools
- Helpful directions for employing Ruby scripts that extend SketchUp's usefulness for designing furniture
- Specialized instruction for modelling the complex shapes necessary for furniture design
- In-depth examples and exercises
- More than 600 detailed illustrations and screen captures